Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Corey Gault. The rookie list. And an opportunity for someone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupied wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
loki04 wrote:
Ah this old chest nut.

@Stui Keeffe didn't grow up with the game so his was actually through still learning to get a feel for it and I'd argue it still isn't good as a forward at it.

But it's not actually a totally invalid comparison as Gault grew up playing as a midfielder then had a massive late growth spurt, so he'd never learned to play as a tall marking forward either.

Sorry Stui, it's a shit comparison. Gault still grew up with the game, and as such, should be able to do the simple things like judge the flight of a ball in the air to mark. Cox arguably outperformed him as a forward last year after having never even kicked a ball in anger 1 year earlier.

How long does it take to learn leading patterns? 1-2 years is reasonable, 3 is pushing it, 5 is a piss take. Face it Stui, your boy is a dud. He's got to be one of the luckiest players in the league to have a spot on a clubs list, even as a rookie.

He may well be a dud but he's played more AFL games than you and me and most of Nicks put together.

Learning leading patterns in the VFL is one thing, applying that in the AFL with totally different team mates is another.

I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar but the club see's enough in him to keep him on the list and luck would have nothing to do with that.

Cox is an interesting option. As a leading forward he could definitely do some damage and with his speed and reach combined with good delivery would be a backmans nightmare.
Long bomb contested mark option - not yet. Unless he gets a run and jump at a pack mark then it could be special.

The Sheriff is am unknown quantity yet and those 3 constitute the sum total of our tall forward backups for 2016.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:55 pm

There is a train of thought that suggests he will be a very later developer and could still come good.

This is based on the fact that he was a very promising midfielder who in the space of only about two season of junior footy, had an incredible growth spurt and grew into the size of a ruckman.
He has taken some time to really fully adjust to going from average height to a tall but might come good yet.

There must be some signs for the club to hang on to him for so long, I remember him charging out, leaping high and taking a big grab in the NAB last year and thinking oooh nice, he might be coming good this kid, didn't happen.

Some truth in that or not, still has to be his last chance this year.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:51 pm

rand corp wrote:
There is a train of thought that suggests he will be a very later developer and could still come good.

This is based on the fact that he was a very promising midfielder who in the space of only about two season of junior footy, had an incredible growth spurt and grew into the size of a ruckman.
He has taken some time to really fully adjust to going from average height to a tall but might come good yet.

There must be some signs for the club to hang on to him for so long, I remember him charging out, leaping high and taking a big grab in the NAB last year and thinking oooh nice, he might be coming good this kid, didn't happen.

Some truth in that or not, still has to be his last chance this year.

I agree with this! He has potential but at the moment Gault's very raw but the club obviously thinks he's worth persisting with. If he doesn't play any senior games or only plays a few next year I suspect his time will be up.

It's true that he went from 188cm midfielder to a 199cm key position player in a short space of time.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Long term fan of Gaulty but he's fast running out of chances. For mine, his first year at the club as a skinny kid showed the most promise. Since then he's struggled with injury, had to (try and) learn to play KPD when we ran out of alternatives, and transform his body from stick figure to realistic AFL footballer build and learn how to use it. Hopefully it all gels for him in 2016.

On the issue of the LTI and 40th list spot, I can't see there's any urgency to fill either of those. Let players earn a senior spot and promote as needed.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 pm

One thing to remember is that he had a lot of injury trouble last year. Although I was very disappointed with his 2015 form (even when fit) I'm not averse to seeing Gault get one more year. We have a very bad habit here at Collingwood of taking long-term project big men early, keeping them for ages, and finally getting rid of them just before they finally come good. Done it over and over again. We've never delisted or traded a genuine star big man that way, but we have handed other clubs decent fringe and backup KPPs or ruckmen ready-made more often than I like.

WTF? Give the kid another year. If he comes good, that's great. If he doesn't, we have only lost a long shot rookie pick we can do without. And you never know when the injury gods wil;l strike. Sometimes a half-decent big man in the twos who can play a role is suddenly be something you desperately need.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:36 am

I have a feeling another late developer in Hartley will make it at Essendon. Footballers, particularly key position players, don't peak until the ages of 24 and 25. Add to maturity issues, if players suffer injuries, that may put their development back years. Supporters aren't generally patient with players and the clubs themselves only have so many places on their lists, so a number of talented players who could have made good careers in the AFL unfortunately don't make it. Luck is an important element in the success or otherwise in a player's career. Collingwood has been very patient with Gault, but if he doesn't add to his games tally in 2016, I suspect Gault's AFL career will be over.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:

He may well be a dud but he's played more AFL games than you and me and most of Nicks put together.

Stui, if the standard that the keyboard warriors at Nicks would produce on the field is any benchmark, then Gault is the next Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett senior rolled into one.

Not the greatest point you have ever made.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Id like to think Gault will make the grade, I wanna be wrong, but imo he wont make it. Happy to be proven wrong and hope he can rip it up!
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:

That doesn't make him immune to criticism. That's a lazy argument. You're better than that.

Quote:
Learning leading patterns in the VFL is one thing, applying that in the AFL with totally different team mates is another.

I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar but the club see's enough in him to keep him on the list and luck would have nothing to do with that.

Cox is an interesting option. As a leading forward he could definitely do some damage and with his speed and reach combined with good delivery would be a backmans nightmare.
Long bomb contested mark option - not yet. Unless he gets a run and jump at a pack mark then it could be special.

The Sheriff is am unknown quantity yet and those 3 constitute the sum total of our tall forward backups for 2016.

His leading pattern even in the VFL are bog average too, let alone at senior level. If he was making good leads, taking marks and kicking goals in the VFL I wouldn't be so critical, but he's been around for years now and still barely manages to kick 1 or 2 goals a game in the two's. He should be dominating that level by now, but he's being overtaken by a novice in Cox.

And luck has everything to do with him being retained. If we'd maintained a top 10 pick this year I can guarantee you that Gault would have been gone and we would be getting excited about seeing Weideman or McKay in action in 2016.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Stui, if the standard that the keyboard warriors at Nicks would produce on the field is any benchmark, then Gault is the next Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett senior rolled into one.

Paid, but I do get a tad annoyed when said keyboard warriors call anyone who's busting their arse on an AFL list a dud so casually.

Quote:
Not the greatest point you have ever made.

Probably not, but I dare say it wasn't the worst either. Wink

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:37 am

Gault may lack elite talent but I thought he performed as well as could be expected under pressure during his few AFL games.

White has far greater natural talent but regularly kicks poorly or drops marks when the game is on the line. Until the club has a reliable backup for Cloke and Moore we would be advised to keep Gault on the rookie list.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:35 pm

This is definitely his make or break year.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Corey Gault is the changing face of modern football society!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: