Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Corey Gault. The rookie list. And an opportunity for someone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:17 am
Post subject: Corey Gault. The rookie list. And an opportunity for someoneReply with quote

Just wanted to ask, where do you think Gault is at? Is he ready to take the next step? He's recently turned 23 and has 4 games to his name. IIRC, he was close to a senior return, but a couple of niggling injuries kept him out.

He played 3 games in 2015, rounds 3, 4 and 5. He managed 2.1 from those matches. I am unsure of his VFL form and how many games/goals he managed to get there.

My second query was that we now have 39 players on our senior list and 7 on our rookie list. Does that mean we can upgrade another 2 players, 1 to bring it up to 40, and 1 for the LTI of Scharenberg?

Which dons the question, who could win the senior spot? We know Keeffe and Thomas are out. Which provides an opportunity to Gault, Golds, Smith, Cox and Wyatt.

Lastly, is it still possible the club can sign a free agent? Not that there is any one out there, I was just wondering.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gault having stepped smartly backwards last year, Cox is the obvious front-runner for elevation. (On last year's form, I thought Gault would be delisted, but apparently they still think he might come good.) But why would they do that so early? It would make no sense. They will do the smart thing and not elevate anyone unless and until there is a requirement for a particular rookie-listed player in the senior side - Witts and Grundy both injured for example.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 am

Time for big Corey to step up! Club has given him two years on primary list and now most likely 3rd on the Rookie list. Historically I have liked his potential but he needs to:

* put on 5 kgs of muscle
* work on his marking judgement "has a bit of the blind Corey McKernan's"
* Find a settled position in reserves and dominate half a season

Anymore injuries and its back to the wafl!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:46 am

Do players ever improve their marking judgment? Or is that something you either have by the time you are 17, or never get?

Do players ever improve their hands for marking? Or is good hands and sticky fingers something you either have by the time you are 17, or never get?

You can learn to field kick in later life (look at Ben Johnson!) but can anybody learn to mark once they are past about 15 or so?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:27 am

^

Yep. Keeffe.

In his first couple of years at VFL level he couldn't judge the ball in the air and constantly ran under it. He improved that dramatically and then started getting snr games.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:54 am

I thought he would've been delisted also. He seems very slow and a poor decision maker. Based on 2015 form I'd say Cox would be next in line for a call up, especially if Witts' progress still only plods along. From watching his highlights Josh Smith might surprise a few. I could see him doing well in the NAB Cup and forcing his way into the side round 1.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:49 am

Ah this old chest nut.

@Stui Keeffe didn't grow up with the game so his was actually through still learning to get a feel for it and I'd argue it still isn't good as a forward at it.

Gault should of been delisted 2 years ago blind freddy could see he isn't up to it, hell he struggles to find the footy at VFL level never mind AFL.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 am

Think Cory will struggle to get a big man role either
fwd or back

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 am

Gault looked raw, but not out of place, in his few games at the start of 2015. I think he showed enough to be given another year on the rookie list. Moore has clearly jumped ahead of him in the pecking order in 2015 and his spot will be under pressure at the end of 2016 if other raw talls (Cox and Wyatt, in particular) overtake him in development.

In terms of nominated, LTI replacement and mid season promoted rookies I imagine that it will be somewhat needs based (depending on who goes down injured) and I suspect that Wyatt won't be up to it in 2016 as he seems more of a project player in the early stages from the Club's description.

Dekka has suggested that Cox is likely to get some senior time in 2016, Golds may have a role to play and Smith looks as though he may be one of these guys who can walk into an AFL side and not look out of place.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:41 pm

loki04 wrote:
Ah this old chest nut.

@Stui Keeffe didn't grow up with the game so his was actually through still learning to get a feel for it and I'd argue it still isn't good as a forward at it.

But it's not actually a totally invalid comparison as Gault grew up playing as a midfielder then had a massive late growth spurt, so he'd never learned to play as a tall marking forward either.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:27 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Time for big Corey to step up! Club has given him two years on primary list and now most likely 3rd on the Rookie list. Historically I have liked his potential but he needs to:

* put on 5 kgs of muscle
* work on his marking judgement "has a bit of the blind Corey McKernan's"
* Find a settled position in reserves and dominate half a season

Anymore injuries and its back to the wafl!

Not sure if you've seen photos of Gault recently, but he is looking massive. A lack of muscle is not an excuse he can run with, and it wasn't last year either tbh.

After 5 years on the list having achieved diddly squat, he's very fortunate to find himself still listed. He was probably saved by the fact we lacked any early picks to take a Weideman or McKay.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
loki04 wrote:
Ah this old chest nut.

But it's not actually a totally invalid comparison as Gault grew up playing as a midfielder then had a massive late growth spurt, so he'd never learned to play as a tall marking forward either.

Sorry Stui, it's a shit comparison. Gault still grew up with the game, and as such, should be able to do the simple things like judge the flight of a ball in the air to mark. Cox arguably outperformed him as a forward last year after having never even kicked a ball in anger 1 year earlier.

How long does it take to learn leading patterns? 1-2 years is reasonable, 3 is pushing it, 5 is a piss take. Face it Stui, your boy is a dud. He's got to be one of the luckiest players in the league to have a spot on a clubs list, even as a rookie.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Gault very luck to remain on our list, last season when he had a run, was always looking like he was about to do something, just needs to hold big marks and confidence might improve.

But doubt it.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Tannin wrote:
Do players ever improve their marking judgment? Or is that something you either have by the time you are 17, or never get?

Do players ever improve their hands for marking? Or is good hands and sticky fingers something you either have by the time you are 17, or never get?

You can learn to field kick in later life (look at Ben Johnson!) but can anybody learn to mark once they are past about 15 or so?

Stewart Lowe was a clunker when he joined the league and ended up an elite mark. He also learned to kick the older he got.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:08 pm

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Stewart Lowe was a clunker when he joined the league and ended up an elite mark. He also learned to kick the older he got.

He also had hands the size of dinner plates. I don't see Gault ever getting close to being a good contested mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: