Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation hypothetical

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
My instinct would be to try to talk him down and work out what he wants, but seeing as how you've excluded that option, this is what I'd do:

Basically, it's a stalemate situation. You're in just as much of a position to tell him to drop the knife as he is to tell you to drop the gun. So, go on the offensive. Tell him that if he doesn't drop the knife, he's getting a bullet. Fire a warning shot above his head. If the knife moves, start shooting near his exposed area and don't stop. The minute he gets hit, he'll be incapacitated and you can take control of the situation.

In a way, this is a bit of a trick question because usually there are pros and cons to weigh up in a hostage situation. It's why police often wait hours before intervening. But in the rare cases where the hostage-taker is on an efficient murder/suicide mission, that's the time to go in all guns blazing.

Yeah nah, I get your point, but I've watched all 25 seasons of Csi, from Miami to Vegas to New York, and then There is criminal minds. Some of em like pain, they want you to shoot, and they will keep on comin, I'll never forget the cop played by Shaun Connery in that Elliot ness movie, walking down the hall, shot to pieces, and superhumanly still fighting, taking out the bad guys til his last breath.

You got my kid, I'll take no chances, I don't give a **** what your problem is. I'd do it for my dog tool!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Tannin wrote:
Of course, if I was a trained, highly skilled American cop, I'd just turn around and fire 16 deadly shots into someone that was no possible threat to me.

I'd like to push the blue button, and alert the mods, you ain't allowed to change the rules!! Read the first post!

There will be no Rodney king speeches here thanks!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 pm

^ If you are an American cop, darling, there are no rules.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Christie had it right.
Go for the head shot (off the ceiling)!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
My instinct would be to try to talk him down and work out what he wants, but seeing as how you've excluded that option, this is what I'd do:

Basically, it's a stalemate situation. You're in just as much of a position to tell him to drop the knife as he is to tell you to drop the gun. So, go on the offensive. Tell him that if he doesn't drop the knife, he's getting a bullet. Fire a warning shot above his head. If the knife moves, start shooting near his exposed area and don't stop. The minute he gets hit, he'll be incapacitated and you can take control of the situation.

In a way, this is a bit of a trick question because usually there are pros and cons to weigh up in a hostage situation. It's why police often wait hours before intervening. But in the rare cases where the hostage-taker is on an efficient murder/suicide mission, that's the time to go in all guns blazing.

Yeah nah, I get your point, but I've watched all 25 seasons of Csi, from Miami to Vegas to New York, and then There is criminal minds. Some of em like pain, they want you to shoot, and they will keep on comin, I'll never forget the cop played by Shaun Connery in that Elliot ness movie, walking down the hall, shot to pieces, and superhumanly still fighting, taking out the bad guys til his last breath.

You got my kid, I'll take no chances, I don't give a **** what your problem is. I'd do it for my dog tool!

Unless they're seriously hyped on some stimulants, the static shock from a .38 is going to at minimum really slow anyone down.

No one walks through gunfire unless they've got armor or they're seriously drugfucked, apologies to hollywood Wink

Last edited by stui magpie on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
&

Unless they're seriously hyped on some stimulants, the static shock from a .38 is going to at minimum really slow anyone down.

No one walks through gunfire unless they've got armor or they're seriously drugfucked, apologies to hollywood Wink

Hey, are you questioning John mclane?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ If you are an American cop, darling, there are no rules.

Probably because the criminals have bigger guns than them

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Er... this may be a bit of an understatement, but I'm not sure American TV is always an accurate representation of reality... Razz

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Shoot at the perpetrators ear. The sound going past (if It misses) will cause enough shock for them to drop the knife. Then my beloved will then turn on who it was and being a Thai woman will recover the knife and if it s a male will cause so much damage to the tackle area that they will be on hormones forever. Then stand on the throat of the attacker and gloatt"Never bring a knife to a gunfight".

PS. I have been shot. Your body goes into instant shock and if in the torso you are not still moving

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:45 pm

OK, this would be my plan.

I'm a reasonable shot, I'd go for the shoulder just below the junction of the collar bone, and charge forward as I pull the trigger.

I'd rely on the static shock of the bullet to mess with the person long enough for me to cover the 3 metres, which would be less than 1 second.

Grab the knife hand with one hand and drive my forearm into their nose. 100kg accelerating quickly would have some momentum.

Bad person down, no one dead, one shot fired and if they piss me off from there, I have the gun and they're on the ground on their back.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
2 and a bit years in the CATT ST Kilda to Dandenong catchment Wink Ouch. No wonder you have no fears touring the wilds of Africa. Wink

Not wanting to derail the thread but worth a comment - in all our trips to Africa I have never ever felt threatened or afraid - only ever had a fleeting moment of " oh shit" and that was last year in Uganda when we realised we were staying 10 mins from the Congo border - and that turned out to be a wasted fleeting moment of fear!

Having said that I wouldn't being popping into Nigeria for a visit anytime soon 😛

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:14 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Er... this may be a bit of an understatement, but I'm not sure American TV is always an accurate representation of reality... Razz

WHAT? You don't watch the kartrashians??

Nope me either, but real housewives of Jersey/Orange County/Hollywood, I'm there!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:11 am

I have not kept up with the Kardashians, I must admit.

What would you do if one of them were in this hostage situation? I would taunt the hostage-taker vigorously.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:16 am

If it was down to one and I thought there was way out of this other than to shot, I'd apologise to my loved one in advance then fire of 5 shots to the head hoping Nintendo has not lead me astray.

I'd keep one shot up my sleeve just in case they were still alive and I could then use the Dirty Harry lines...

I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Then I'd shoot again anyway.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:51 am

5150 wrote:
If it was down to one and I thought there was way out of this other than to shot, I'd apologise to my loved one in advance then fire of 5 shots to the head hoping Nintendo has not lead me astray.

Who were you aiming at?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: