Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is it just me or does Sier look damn exciting?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:06 am
Post subject: Is it just me or does Sier look damn exciting?Reply with quote

I know nothing about this kid, other than what is on the club website, but Sier seems to be an incredibly powerful built player for a 17 yr old, and with seeming bursting speed through packs.

I realise that most players' highlights packages look good, but I was mightily impressed by what I saw. Tell me I'm dreamin', but this kid looks an incredibly exciting package. Power, grunt, skill and mongrel. That's a pretty fine set of attributes.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:27 am
Post subject: Re: Is it just me or does Sier look damn exciting?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I know nothing about this kid, other than what is on the club website, but Sier seems to be an incredibly powerful built player for a 17 yr old, and with seeming bursting speed through packs.

I realise that most players' highlights packages look good, but I was mightily impressed by what I saw. Tell me I'm dreamin', but this kid looks an incredibly exciting package. Power, grunt, skill and mongrel. That's a pretty fine set of attributes.

Seems to be carrying a bit of extra weight, but yeah, agree from his video highlights, exciting the way he breaks away from packs and gets the ball out to his teammates. Reminds me a little bit of Cameron Ling who sticks his body into packs and blocks opponents. Could be groomed as a tagger like Ling. Will be interesting how his body settles out once the Collingwood dietician gets to him.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 am
Post subject: Re: Is it just me or does Sier look damn exciting?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:

All good RB as long as your expectations of him are not unrealistically high.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a hell of an impressive highlights package from only 2 TAC games, which is even more impressive given that he's had close enough to zero exposure to any elite training systems as a junior.

Wasn't sure about his selection at first, but I've learned to back in our recruiters over the years. They don't usually get many wrong early in the draft, and they apparently rated him in their top 20 players for the draft.

The guy from champion data on SEN before said that based on his numbers from school footy and TAC cup, he could be a potential superstar. Really looking forward to seeing this kid goes next year.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Let's hope Bill Davorkian doesn't stuff him up!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

More like I hope intangibles like football collision injuries, medical illnesses and just plain bad luck doesn't afflict him.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

All good RB as long as your expectations of him are not unrealistically high.

I haven't been this excited about a kid since we recruited Scharenberg. Embarassed
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Lazza wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

More like I hope intangibles like football collision injuries, medical illnesses and just plain bad luck doesn't afflict him.

Well that too.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:

Davorkian.... I love it!!!!!

Smile Smile Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Looking at his highlights, has quick hands in close, gives the ball off well, good body positioning at the contest, not shy of physical contact or laying a tackle, happy to back himself.

A lot there to like.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Listening to Daniel Harford's show on SEN today, they had rep from Champion Data going over the draft and comparing who got drafted and when to their predictions based on statistical data. Audio http://www.sen.com.au/audio#ASvIkoOQQPjgcvJh.97
After ranking the top 4 teams who did the best according to CD (Bris, Haw, Bombers, Blues in that order) they jumped to pick 32 and started to talk about Brayden Sier. Champion data basically had no data on him and had to go back over the 2 games of his in the TAC and Glenn Luff (CD's head man/top staistician) has put his name up on a "predictions" whiteboard that they have and he has labelled him an absolute future superstar.

Now this is one mans opinion based on watching him play two games of footy on a recording and doesnt take into account the boys application effort or potential for injury. However Luff does this for a living - looks at and assesses players for DT/SC and for all the clubs and the AFL, so using stats and his eye he knows what he is doing. Thursdays from 12-1 on SEN is the best radio a footy head will ever hear and I wont miss it if I can arrange it.

This boy is VERY EXCITING!!!
ip address 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:27 pm
Post subject: SierReply with quote

Watching those highlights of Sier reminded me of Joel Selwood when he first started in the AFL. He seems to just hunt the ball, has extremely quick hands and disposes of it quickly as well.

As we all know, these are the highlight reels which we all salivate over and most draftees look like guns. I'm a believer as his is fairly impressive.

Ever the conspiracy theorist, I believe we hid him and then selected him.

I believe the Dockers did that with Fyfe a few years back Rolling Eyes

Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah well I hope he's a good'un but seriously who bloody knows yet(including Hine+co).

I recall Ben Kennedy's highlight package had people in raptures as well at the time.

Unlike Ben he isn't a midget, and unlike Freeman and Scharenberg he isn't a crock (yet) so fingers crossed we've got a gem on our hands.

Remember he's at the youngish end of the scale too so hopefully next year will be all about development without the added expectation of trying to push for senior selection to worry about. I honestly think that being able to physically develop with a (hopefully) tailored program will suit a kid of his age far better than throwing him into full on senior AFL/VFL training and playing from the get go.

I often wonder whether with the likes of Freeman and earlier Dick and Rusling whether it was too much too soon for their developing bodies.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:26 am

Sier does look to have something.

The problem is that just looking at the highlights reel all players look great.

Case in point - Matthew Hayball - last player taken in the draft at 70.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-11-26/matthew-hayball-highlights

Based on this video you'd say he's courageous, a great contested mark, great kick for goal. Not knocking the kid but taken at 70 means he's got issues not shown in the reel.

While the AFL would never do it, for mug punters like us I'd like to see the lowlights reel for each player. Then you'd see their areas for improvement.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:40 pm

It looks to me that we've gone for upside over more certain but less exciting prospects. Really like the pick, it's bold and with the chance to pay off handsomely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: