Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rookie Draft: Keefe, Thomas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burns4PM 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:31 am
Post subject: Rookie Draft: Keefe, ThomasReply with quote

As most are pointing out, it is really hard to measure draft selections in any draft.... especially this one where our first pick came at 32 in Sier.... who by all accounts was abit of a bolter.
That maybe the best indicator we have something good if we place our faith in Hine and the dark art of recruiting, smoke and mirrors. Time will tell (as always).

However to most, the biggest point in our draft selections is that we used 4 out of the 5 when everyone expected us to use 3. Did we reduce our rookie draft selections from 2 to 1?

Scharenberg's injury may have influenced this.

But where does this leave our rookie selections? and the potential Rookie'ing of Keefe and Thomas.
Both boys have done bad and both boys will have to be VERY good in the two years (one year left) to keep themselves in near enough to perfect shape to make a return.

But if all the stars align and they can get back up to fitness speed... They will be mature recruits that could make an immediate impact as both were in our best 22 when they got suspended. Their contracts would be fairly reduced as well making the whole package enticing.

Where do people think we are with these two?
In the words of Dr Seuss.... Could we? Should we?
(Apols if this is in another post, I couldn't see one...)
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say they have done bad, how different is it to Carlisle and Bennell? One player gets a warning while our two have to serve out two years. Totally disproportionate to the crime in my opinion. The club has a moral duty to support its players so just have to grin and bear it and hope they can play good football again in 2017.
woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
When you say they have done bad, how different is it to Carlisle and Bennell? One player gets a warning while our two have to serve out two years. Totally disproportionate to the crime in my opinion. The club has a moral duty to support its players so just have to grin and bear it and hope they can play good football again in 2017.

Big difference Thomas & Keeffe got done for taking PED not just social drugs. Thus under WADA had to get 2 years. They were very lucky it wasn't 4 years

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

woods_the_best wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Big difference Thomas & Keeffe got done for taking PED not just social drugs. Thus under WADA had to get 2 years. They were very lucky it wasn't 4 years

But Carlisle and Bennell could have taken cocaine contaminated with PED's. Just lucky they weren't drug tested the next day. Keeffe and Thomas were unlucky they got drug tested for a drug they were unaware was in their system.
Burns4PM 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Thanks guys... but not trying to comment or debate their innocence/guilt or punishment.
My understanding is that we have delisted them.
We have not taken them in the PSD obviously but have quoted that we will look at them in the Rookie draft.
I am not sure if the fact we used 4 picks instead of the expected 3 impacts how many Rookie draft picks we have, which is one question.
But I was more putting it out there... Could we Rookie draft one or both? Should we?
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:08 pm

we should of course rookie draft them, assuming other clubs will leave them alone. If we thought there were any great players out there to draft, we would have taken them 2 nights ago.
woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Burns4PM wrote:
Thanks guys... but not trying to comment or debate their innocence/guilt or punishment.
My understanding is that we have delisted them.
We have not taken them in the PSD obviously but have quoted that we will look at them in the Rookie draft.
I am not sure if the fact we used 4 picks instead of the expected 3 impacts how many Rookie draft picks we have, which is one question.
But I was more putting it out there... Could we Rookie draft one or both? Should we?

We have 4 picks in the RD Friday

feKKo 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Can anyone explain to me why we would rookie draft Keefe and Thomas this year?
They cant even be at the club until the start of 2017 just seems like a waste to draft them and not even be able to do anything with them for 12 months.

Wouldn't we just rookie draft them next year?
surfer1 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:19 pm

feKKo wrote:
They cant even be at the club until the start of 2017 just seems like a waste to draft them and not even be able to do anything with them for 12 months.

I can only think to motivate them mentally
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:24 pm

I thought we had 4 picks in the Rookie draft until I read the Rookie Draft order for tomorrow, and the Pies have 5 x selections. 7/25/42/55/64. Can someone enlighten me further ? There is no Pre-Season draft.
woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 pm

robevpau1 wrote:
I thought we had 4 picks in the Rookie draft until I read the Rookie Draft order for tomorrow, and the Pies have 5 x selections. 7/25/42/55/64. Can someone enlighten me further ? There is no Pre-Season draft.

We have 4 live selections. The final pick will be used on formally nominating Darrean Wyatt as a Cat B rookie

woods_the_best Taurus

AFL Premiers 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Rookie draft order...

https://twitter.com/BrettAndersonIF/status/669791503108059136

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:48 pm

woods_the_best wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:

We have 4 live selections. The final pick will be used on formally nominating Darrean Wyatt as a Cat B rookie

Thanks for the update.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 pm

feKKo wrote:

Because the only way we can guarantee that we can have them in 2017 is to rookie them in 2016. If they have no contract with us in 2016 they will certainly be picked up by another team (possibly even in the main draft) at the end of next season. Before they foolishly took drugs both Keeffe and Thomas were regarded as good players. If he had been available last year Keeffe would certainly been playing in our team given Reid's injuries and Frost's loss of form. They are worth keeping.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:07 am

As we know, pick 64 has already been used on Wyatt. Which leaves picks 7, 25, 42 and 55.

I say we take Jed Adcock at pick 7, just to upset the Dogs. TBH, I still think he's worth a spot on our list. Yeah he's 30, but he'd offer some insurance and help cover Scharenbergs loss for at least 12 months.

Of course Tim Golds has been training at the club and may well be our first selection.

Keeffe and Thomas will be selected, however, would it be wise of the club to use their last two picks on them? (Pick 42 and 55). Is it likely that another club will pounce? Does a rival club want a player thats been suspended for another 12 months?

For me, ideally: 7-Adcock. 25-Golds. 42-Keeffe. 55-Thomas. 64-Wyatt. (However, I know it's very unlikely that we'll take Adcock).

Another recycled player that could be of interest is Sam Grimley.

Also, I believe this leaves a spot on the clubs senior list for one of the rookies to aim for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: