Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dick Lee’s "A Type of Stab Punt” & Jack Dyers Stab

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:28 pm
Post subject: Dick Lee’s "A Type of Stab Punt” & Jack Dyers Stab Reply with quote

Dick Lee’s “A Type of Stab Punt” and Jack Dyer’s “Stab Punt kick. Jim Blake interviewed Jack Dyer in “Dyer Sees Red” that was published just eighty seven days before “The Sporting Globe Football Book of 1948 that was Compiled and Edited by Hec de Lacy, in which Hec de Lacy promoted “Jack Dyers Drop Punt” the silliest looking kick in football history. Note Dyer's Stab Punt Kick became Dyer's Drop Punt 87 days later? In the interview with Jim Blake Jack Dyer describes how he used the Stab Punt Kick by dropping the ball point down almost vertical and kicking it with the toe of his boot.
DICK LEE & his “A TYPE OF STAB PUNT” RECENT RESEARCH has revealed that one of the most famous full forwards of all time, Dick Lee of Collingwood, kicked a Drop Punt for goal. Dick called his kick for goal as “a Type of Stab-Punt.” He is the first VFL/AFL player recorded as kicking The Drop Punt!
“He developed both the place-kick and “A TYPE OF STAB-PUNT” in which he dropped the ball point-first and stabbed it like a shot arrow with hair-line accuracy. He says he always picked a spot in the crowd and took aim at it. Kicking he says is a lost art.” From Trove. Dick! Dick!-Dick-e-e-e by H. de Lacy in the Sporting Globe Saturday 21 June 1941.

DICK LEE sees FLAWS. Sporting Globe (Melbourne, Saturday 18 May 1940 Page 6
I think the place (kick) the most telling and most accurate. "I always picked out some object behind the goal in the crowd or surroundings that approximately gave me the centre of the goal from where I was kicking. I fired for that object. I wonder if players do this today. From close in I dropped the ball end on and kicked a punt from the end of the ball. Practice it in the back yard with a stick as a target. Once you get the hang of it the accuracy will surprise you. I won many a prize at The Eastern Market with that kick with narrow little 2 foot wide goals to shoot at.
Extracts from “The First Drop Punt? Recent research from a kick historian” published in The Footy Almanac of June 26, 2015.
DICK LEE’S DROP STAB AUGUST 1922
One of the best things done this quarter was Lee's drop stab of goodly distance to C. Rankin (a goal, too). Lee kicked the leather into such a position ahead of Rankin that nobody but Rankin had a chance of getting at it.
Westralian Worker (Perth, WA Friday 12 August 1921 Page 3

GEORGE GONINON with his peculiar stab-kick-punt. “George Goninon gets a higher percentage of goals for his kicks than has any forward in 20 years. Give Goninon the drop on the goal and it’s all over. He’s an ace shooter with his peculiar Stab-Kick-Punt similar to that used by Dick Lee, famous Collingwood forward.” From Trove. GLAMAE BOY Sporting Globe of May 10 1952, by H.A. de Lacy.

Stab Punt Jim
For More information see “The First Drop Punt? Recent research from a kick historian” as published in The Footy Almanac of June 26, 2015.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not Peter Mc.Kenna use the drop punt to extremely good effect???????
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Pretty sure Dick Lee was using it a tad before macca. Razz Wink
stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pretty sure Dick Lee was using it a tad before macca. Razz Wink

Could you advise where you obtained your knowledge on Dick Lee. May I suggest you should give credit. I make it 59 years from my research. See my article above.

Stab Punt Jim.

The more we look the more we learn.
stab punt jim 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 am

BazBoy wrote:

I agree with you BazBoy. Peter is one of my personal Best Players of all time. Enclosed the entry from my . "Stab Kick to Stab Punt and Drop Kick to Drop Punt".
"McKenna topped the Magpies' goal kicking list for the first of eight consecutive times in 1967, booting 47 goals. Over the ensuing seasons he gradually improved, kicking 97 goals in 1969, before amassing an incredible tally of 143 the following year. What was even more incredible was that it was not sufficient to top the VFL's goal kicking list; Hawthorn's Peter Hudson kicked 146 goals, adding a record-equalling 150 goals in 1971 compared to McKenna's 'modest' tally of 134. From the start of the 1968 season to Round 3, 1974, McKenna kicked at least one goal in 121 consecutive games, a competition record.
Moderately disappointing though this doubtless was, what was almost certainly of more concern to McKenna was his failure to contribute towards a Collingwood premiership. The Magpies reached the grand final twice during his career, losing to St Kilda by a point in 1966, although McKenna did not play, and then squandering a half time lead of 44 points against Carlton four years later. In that game, McKenna's misfortune in sustaining a head injury after accidentally colliding with team mate and vice-captain Des Tuddenham during the second term undoubtedly contributed greatly to Collingwood's second half demise. Nevertheless, he finished the game with 6 goals, more than anybody else on the ground.
Peter McKenna finally managed to head the VFL's list of goal kicking with 130 goals in 1972, a season which also saw him achieve All Australian selection after booting 19 goals in 3 games at the Perth carnival. The following year McKenna's total of just 86 goals was sufficient for him to claim pole position on the VFL's list for a second time.
In 1975, McKenna's form began to deteriorate, and after being dropped to the reserves he sustained a serious kidney injury that brought his season, and his Collingwood career, to a sad conclusion. The following year saw him lining up with the Devonport Magpies in the NWFU. McKenna enjoyed a solid, confidence-boosting season in Tasmania, kicking 79 goals in 17 games.
In 1977, McKenna returned to the mainland for another stint in the VFL. Sadly, at least as far as McKenna was concerned, Collingwood was loath to pay big money for its former star, and with some reluctance he opted to front up with arch-rival Carlton instead. In what was by no means an ignominious comeback, McKenna managed 36 goals in 11 games, but it seemed clear to all parties concerned that he was some way past his best. As a result, he left Carlton, and spent the next three years giving good service to VFA clubs Geelong West and Northcote.
Altogether, McKenna's VFL record of 874 goals from 191 games was enough to place him as the league's fourth-highest goalkicker at the time of his retirement, behind only Gordon Coventry, Doug Wade and Jack Titus; as of 2010 he sits ninth all-time. His full senior and representative career yielded 1213 goals."

Birth 27 August 1946, Victoria
Recruited from West Heidelberg YCW
Playing career
Debut April 1965, Collingwood vs. St. Kilda, at Moorabbin
Team(s)
Collingwood (1965–1975)
180 Games, 838 Goals
Carlton (1977)
11 games, 36 goals
Statistics to end of 1977 season.
PS He was the first player to win The John Coleman trophy who used the Drop Punt as his major kick for gaol.

The More We Look The More We Learn.

Stab Punt Jim
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:07 pm

The "Stab Pass" a vastly different type but still had "Stab" in its title I believe was the Machine,s invention--at a interstate practice match against ordinary
opposition they explored different kicks

Upon return and a few suffering sea sickness were getting towelled up by Geelong till they recalled stab passes and then picked up the pace

Thorrol Merret later on would pass to team mate ,the ball traveling chest high at speed to teammate

Even later Bubba Price would use it to Peter McKenna who was said to end a game with chest bruising (and bag of goals)

Some one may have facts on game they created it

uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 pm

stab punt jim wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

I agree with you BazBoy. Peter is one of my personal Best Players of all time. Enclosed the entry from my . "Stab Kick to Stab Punt and Drop Kick to Drop Punt".
"McKenna topped the Magpies' goal kicking list for the first of eight consecutive times in 1967, booting 47 goals. Over the ensuing seasons he gradually improved, kicking 97 goals in 1969, before amassing an incredible tally of 143 the following year. What was even more incredible was that it was not sufficient to top the VFL's goal kicking list; Hawthorn's Peter Hudson kicked 146 goals, adding a record-equalling 150 goals in 1971 compared to McKenna's 'modest' tally of 134. From the start of the 1968 season to Round 3, 1974, McKenna kicked at least one goal in 121 consecutive games, a competition record.
Moderately disappointing though this doubtless was, what was almost certainly of more concern to McKenna was his failure to contribute towards a Collingwood premiership. The Magpies reached the grand final twice during his career, losing to St Kilda by a point in 1966, although McKenna did not play, and then squandering a half time lead of 44 points against Carlton four years later. In that game, McKenna's misfortune in sustaining a head injury after accidentally colliding with team mate and vice-captain Des Tuddenham during the second term undoubtedly contributed greatly to Collingwood's second half demise. Nevertheless, he finished the game with 6 goals, more than anybody else on the ground.
Peter McKenna finally managed to head the VFL's list of goal kicking with 130 goals in 1972, a season which also saw him achieve All Australian selection after booting 19 goals in 3 games at the Perth carnival. The following year McKenna's total of just 86 goals was sufficient for him to claim pole position on the VFL's list for a second time.
In 1975, McKenna's form began to deteriorate, and after being dropped to the reserves he sustained a serious kidney injury that brought his season, and his Collingwood career, to a sad conclusion. The following year saw him lining up with the Devonport Magpies in the NWFU. McKenna enjoyed a solid, confidence-boosting season in Tasmania, kicking 79 goals in 17 games.
In 1977, McKenna returned to the mainland for another stint in the VFL. Sadly, at least as far as McKenna was concerned, Collingwood was loath to pay big money for its former star, and with some reluctance he opted to front up with arch-rival Carlton instead. In what was by no means an ignominious comeback, McKenna managed 36 goals in 11 games, but it seemed clear to all parties concerned that he was some way past his best. As a result, he left Carlton, and spent the next three years giving good service to VFA clubs Geelong West and Northcote.
Altogether, McKenna's VFL record of 874 goals from 191 games was enough to place him as the league's fourth-highest goalkicker at the time of his retirement, behind only Gordon Coventry, Doug Wade and Jack Titus; as of 2010 he sits ninth all-time. His full senior and representative career yielded 1213 goals."

Birth 27 August 1946, Victoria
Recruited from West Heidelberg YCW
Playing career
Debut April 1965, Collingwood vs. St. Kilda, at Moorabbin
Team(s)
Collingwood (1965–1975)
180 Games, 838 Goals
Carlton (1977)
11 games, 36 goals
Statistics to end of 1977 season.
PS He was the first player to win The John Coleman trophy who used the Drop Punt as his major kick for gaol.

The More We Look The More We Learn.

Stab Punt Jim

thanks stab punt jim
as my avatar indicates
Peter McKenna is a legend
such a shame the pies didn't salute at least once with his prodigious input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: