Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hard to know what to think about the draft this year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 am
Post subject: Hard to know what to think about the draft this yearReply with quote

I know it's quite obvious - most of us don't know sh*t when it comes to the draft. This year seems more the case, more like an anti-climax given:

1. the "investment" in the trade period (emotional & draft picks as trade)
2. Seems more like an anti-climax given no pick till the second round

To me, I hope of course, all the new boys do really well.

It seems like we've done a Donald Rumsfeld: drafted unknown unknowns whereas often there is at least some known unknowns.

In Hine & co we certainly trust. Just feels differently to other years.

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A non-event, WPT. We spent all our tickets on Aish and Treloar, so tonight was, and always was going to be, a bit of a nothing event. We spent our picks - near-worthless late picks, all of them - on long shots who might never play a senior game.

That's OK. We drafted better than any club with two top-10 picks to spend could do - we got Treloar and Aish. We paid high but we bought quality. If we went to the draft another year with a full set of decent picks still unspent and wound up with one future Adam Treloar in our crop, we'd be happy and call it a successful draft. Treloar and Aish. Wow!

Oh, and we have picked up four dark horse prospects with our leftover hight picks. Any one of them could turn out to be a surprise packet. If that happens, we are in clover.

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:46 am

where's the blurb from Messr Hine after the draft....

With it being a night time slot, they've obviously allowed him enough time to go home, gather his thoughts and give a response tomorrow.

Or he's p*ssed that Rendell slipped Sier ahead of Hibberd & Bonner as a joke, but forgot to change it, so he went straight home to smash up the living room....
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 am

Must have been scared that Sier would go before the 2nd pick, and rated his upside high enough to pick early. Many seem to not understand that Hine and co. do their own research, as opposed to relying on phantom drafts and Emma Quayle and the rest like we do...

Our later picks seemed to have been rated a bit higher in phantom drafts as well.

I think that it's unlikely that we'll see any of this quartet figure in anything but the vfl, but that's okay. I think we have a strong enough list to cope with it.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:54 am

I found it interesting that Essendon went with Hartley at pick 68. I remember a bit of praise for him before all the shoulder issues. I also find it interesting that they've gone with Brown as well.

Im sick to my guts about Weideman going to Melbourne. The only thing worse would have been Carlton. It is blasphemy that he's going to line up for Melbourne. Perhaps we'll convince him to join when his contract is up? Or during next years trade period of course.

I got a few lols from Richmonds content bidding. And from Essendons bid on Silvagni. I would have loved to see young Jack end up elsewhere. Razz

I feel like the Tigers are going to expect too much from Rioli. Hopefully they give him time to forge his own legacy.

And to our own new lads, like most I was surprised with out first selection as Id heard nothing about him previously. Im looking forward to seeing what they all can do in the VFL, and if they're lucky enough, the AFL. Who knows, perhaps we have found another Beams (pick 29)?

After reading a lot of blogs, tweets, comments, etc, I just wish people would remind themselves, that just because someone is a top 10 pick, doesn't automatically make him a superstar. And just because someone was taken in the 5th round doesn't automatically make him a dud. Time will always tell who made the right/wrong calls.

Time to bring on the Rookie Draft.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 am

Presti35 wrote:
After reading a lot of blogs, tweets, comments, etc, I just wish people would remind themselves, that just because someone is a top 10 pick, doesn't automatically make him a superstar. And just because someone was taken in the 5th round doesn't automatically make him a dud. Time will always tell who made the right/wrong calls.

^^^^ THIS in a nutshell ^^^^

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:17 am

Presti you're making too much sense!

I always find it a pain having to wait for years to see how well (or otherwise) we did.

Such is life
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:45 am

As I said in another thread, perhaps our smokey of Sier is an attempt to draft someone who would have ended up a first rounder in 2016 when he has much more exposed form at the Northern Knights.

He did train with the Bulldogs for two weeks recently and there are rumours Carlton were keen too. As we had a big gap between our first pick and our second we didn't want to take the risk he might be snapped up. As for the other picks, in a wide open draft after the first round many clubs would of have differing opinions on the order of talent between 20 and 50.

Hine likes to only take kids with huge upside who have shown sustained effort in working on their weaknesses. I would expect no less with these draftees.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Treloar, Aish and Howe are our big recruits this year. These 3 additional draftees are gambles, but will hopefully provide a bit more depth. Are they any good? I haven't a clue.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Treloar, Aish and Howe are our big recruits this year. These 3 additional draftees are gambles, but will hopefully provide a bit more depth. Are they any good? I haven't a clue.

Actually 4 draftees. Think Phillips being 19 already may have the most ability to transition into seniors next year. Ball magnet whose skills and poise seem well suited to modern day footy.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Well I'm excited by the 4 new recruits, reckon Hines has nailed it
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm a complete novice in my knowledge of the available talent in this draft, so my reading of who we selected is restricted to the main names being talked about before the draft. So from the little I know and read, I think Phillips and Crocker are going to be really good additions to our squad. I just can't comment about Sier and Wills because I don't know enough about them. There does however seem to be a clear strategy by the club to recruit strong bodied mids who can compete at the contest and can move forward and kick goals. They also appear to exhibit good disposal efficiency and are more footballers rather than athletes. To me we are emulating the Port Adelaide football club in recruiting fast moving mids who work both ends of the football ground. The downside is not having cover if any of our talls get injured. When Carlisle and Trengrove got injured at Port and Shultz lost form, Port no longer won any games. We risk going the same way if Cloke gets injured and we lose Brown and/or Frost from the backline.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Presti35 wrote:

Im sick to my guts about Weideman going to Melbourne. The only thing worse would have been Carlton. It is blasphemy that he's going to line up for Melbourne. Perhaps we'll convince him to join when his contract is up? Or during next years trade period of course.

That's how I feel too, Presti35. I'm old enough to have listened to the 58 Grand Final and watched the last quarter on TV. While it is not quite true that Murray Weideman and Hooker Harrison singlehandedly destroyed Melbourne and stopped them equalling our four in a row they played a pretty major role. Now The Weed's Grandson is to play for the Demons, Appalling!

Rev 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 pm

To my recollection this is the third time in recent years we have selected players who were "overage" in the TAC competition. Elliot, Langdon and now Phillips all played an extra year in the u/18's after being overlooked after their first go round.
You could speculate that this gives young blokes a chance to develop and display resilience after the setback and obviously gives their bodies an extra year to mature before coming into the adult system.
Neither Elliot nor Langdon has yo-yo'ed significantly in and out of the side - once they were given their chance they largely made it stick so far. Is this a consequence of their experience as "overages"? Hopefully because that bodes well for what Phillips might offer. All the best to him.
Robbie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm
Post subject: Very confident Derek and Bucks know how to do it.Reply with quote

I have been supporting The Mighty Magpies for almost sixty years and the confidence I have in our Club is the highest it's ever been. Derek, along with Bucks know exactly the type of player we need that will apply themselves and be a credit to the Pies.

Murray Weideman was my favourite player as a young Magpie fan, and I would have welcomed his Grandson's inclusion in our squad, I am equally aware we had no priority pick that would have seen this happen. That being the case I am positive Derek is the right man to assist Collingwood assembling the right players for the long and short term.

How I wish I was my Grandson's age, so I could attend the future seasons play of my proud Magpies, and if any out there believe our current players are the reason for your support, I suggest you find a new team that doesn't require anything from their supporters. At Collingwood we expect a lot from our supporters and members, especially because barracking for Collingwood is not easy, and neither should it be because the supporters of every other Club will hate ours. Side by Side we stick together to uphold the Magpies name is not simply a line in our Club song, and being part of the Magpie Army brings a sense of belonging like nothing else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: