Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#33 Rupert Wills

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sicks Bux wrote:
Some people seem to think that it's a given that Sier and Wills can't play in the same team. I don't really get the logic behind it. They're both similar body types who are built to win the contested footy. So is Adams, Maynard and Greenwood. I don't see the problem with having them both in the team, especially in the wet when it's all about the bash and crash.

They can't. They both traditionally play about 60-65% game time at best. They are pure midfielders with very limited versatility. No way you are taking a team in made up of Wills, Sier and Adams. Just Wills and Adams was enough against Essendon to make our midfield get absolutely torched.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:48 pm

^ That was the first week with 2 of our key drivers out in Howe & Sidebottom and Treloar resumed. I think we need more of a body of work to measure the impact. Understand where you're coming from though.

With Sidey and Treloar back in we could risk it. Firstly try it. If it doesn't work then we can be objective about the pro's adn con's of playing them both. 60-65% game time would keep them fresh if legs / tank are a concern.

If IQ2 is indeed better than his first foray, that important rebound drive that Howe offered us is potentially off-set to a degree. The aerial work I feel we can cover, albeit without the MOTY contenders.

If we're talking verstality, I'm still taking either Wills or Sier over that plodder Phillips and a slowing vetran like Varcoe.

Look Sier works better above the waist, Wills is better below. Different players. Wills is more a ruck-rover and Sier a Rover, like Adams, our inside mids. Might Sier develop in a tagger if he builds a tank?
JDG's furture role if indded the middle may well seal the fate of one or the other.
Much will reflect on the meters gained, such an important factor in the game.

The outside mids are the Centre like players in Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and heir apparent Tyler Brown. Getting the inside mix right is critical. Looking forward to the next block of games to see where this discussion trends.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:02 am

Vale the Wombat. E, I trust you're not too emotional and will be able to push on.

Tamám Shud

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:48 am

Bit sad to see him go - he had a few good games but looks like he couldn't
improve as needed.

He also may have been dropped because of the strange skin condition https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-26/glow-in-the-dark-marsupials-surprise-scientists-biofluorescence/12910820

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:16 am

Well I liked him as a depth option. I'm expecting we're going to sign a player to fill his spot. A younger option I'm guessing.

Sier will want to have some kind of year! And not get injured.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Presti35 wrote:

And the probability of that happening is....

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 pm

wills probably stays in the team if lists stay the same sizes.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Well I liked him as a depth option. I'm expecting we're going to sign a player to fill his spot. A younger option I'm guessing.

End of the day not good enough. For all the people screaming for premierships, keeping players like Wills won’t cut it. Good luck to him though. He played for our great club and hopefully he has fond memories for the rest of his life.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:07 pm

dalyc wrote:
End of the day not good enough. For all the people screaming for premierships, keeping players like Wills won’t cut it. Good luck to him though. He played for our great club and hopefully he has fond memories for the rest of his life.

I'm just worried about our depth. I'm not shocked that Wills is delisted, but it's one more hard body that we cant bring in if we lose one of our mids to injury. He was never going to win a B&F or AA honours, but I believe you need these types who can fill a spot for a handful of games.

Sier is the better/younger option and should feature in our best 22 next season. And perhaps the club believes Rantall or Bianco will be able to step in, but they're both a bit shorter and lighter.

But yeah, I just liked Wills as a ready-to-go hard nut just in case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20   

Jump to: