Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#33 Rupert Wills

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Willsy has shown us a heap , keep the lad.

www.facebook/the hybernators
E 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:32 am

3rd degree wrote:
I reckon Willsy has shown us a heap , keep the lad.

Not sure if that is true. failed to get the ball out of congestion for 7 minutes in the end there.... i know he is a good defensive midfielder, but i wonder if we dont need someone more creative....

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:30 am

Good final against Geelong and a poor one against GWS. Like many others went missing in the more important final.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:25 pm

He weren’t the best but neither the worst
Across the 22 there were a few that owe

Rogue2k0 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
Good final against Geelong and a poor one against GWS. Like many others went missing in the more important final.

Wills had 12 Tackles against GWS - next closest 9 for both teams, 16 disposals at 81% efficiency - 7th best for the game, Equal 5th for Clearances.

While Total disposals a little low, not sure how his game was disappointing compared to others, whose stats were a lot lower than their season averages?
Such as Sidebottom, Mayne, Mihochek, Aish, Hoskin-Elliott and even Pendelbury and Treloar who were well below their averages.,

Wills did and does alot of the heavy work, evident in the game against Geelong when he tackled, crashed and held the ball up when Geelong were on a run, and the rest of the team (other than Grundy) were stuffed.

A bit of a shame Wills has not accepted Collingwood offer, I believe there is room for both Sier and Wills in the team, especially if Beams no guarantee of returning.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aish-put-on-trade-table-as-pies-look-to-manage-tight-cap-20191013-p5308u.html
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Wills wants out.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 pm

I would like to keep Wills if possible, but can understand why he'd be considering other options. He's a perfectly fine player, but as everyone knows, he's competing for a spot against Sier.

Personally, I think Sier's form has only been a tiny bit better at AFL level. However, I don't see a huge amount of improvement left in Wills, and I think Sier's potential is enormous.

So, yea. Can't begrudge Rupert.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 am

Jpies wrote:
I would like to keep Wills if possible, but can understand why he'd be considering other options. He's a perfectly fine player, but as everyone knows, he's competing for a spot against Sier.

Personally, I think Sier's form has only been a tiny bit better at AFL level. However, I don't see a huge amount of improvement left in Wills, and I think Sier's potential is enormous.

So, yea. Can't begrudge Rupert.

When Sier has been at his best, our midfield has looked totally unstoppable. Look at that first quarter of the grand final when Sier had something in the tank. His issue is his tank. If not for his tank, he'd potentially be our best mid, that's how good he is.

When Will is at his best, we can slow down the opposition's mids. He isnt creative, he isnt damaging by hand or foot (nor does he have any of Pendles vision). He is fantastic at defensive pressure in there and can lock a ball down if he wants to through tackling ferocity and brute strength. It is of limited utility.

Prefer Sier, and understand why we dont have the luxury of two of these types of players on our list. Its kind of like the Grundy Witts conundrum. Witts was awlways AFL caliber, but Grundy is best in the comp type ruckman and witts was too good to be a backup.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:05 pm

The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

Wills on the other hand, has a lot less talent, but seems determined to put in the hard work, to force his way into our team.

If the club is confident they can get Sier to take his footy seriously and become the midfield beast we know he is capable of, then of course we would be better to invest in Sier over Wills. But that's a big "if".
MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The problem, however, is that Sier has been on our list for 3 or 4 yrs now and still isn't fit enough to play out a game. We all know he has enormous talent, but if he is not prepared to put the hard yards in, then he will never realise that talent.

Wills on the other hand, has a lot less talent, but seems determined to put in the hard work, to force his way into our team.

If the club is confident they can get Sier to take his footy seriously and become the midfield beast we know he is capable of, then of course we would be better to invest in Sier over Wills. But that's a big "if".

Very similar players in both being Bulls around the contest...This is seemingly a precarious coin flip choice between the two for the club. I'm in your camp RB, IF is one of the shortest yet longest words in the dictionary!

Time and again we've seen plenty of players arrive oozing talent but the attitude doesn't always match. I'd always take attitude over talent because that is the constant. Post 2018 it seems Sier may have adopted the 'how easy is this' approach and allowed himself to be distracted from whats required. Wills on the other hand stuck to the task and was duly rewarded. He was one of the most 'honest' contributors throughout the minor and finals rounds. I love his old fashioned football look and approach.

Wills for me...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I would think Siers new contract would heavily lean towards KPIs that require him to be somewhere close to his peak physical condition.
There is no doubt that new two year contract is recognition of his potential upside because he wouldn’t be getting that offer if they believed his last two years were his ceiling.
The ball is now firmly in Siers court
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

On the other hand P4s, contracting enables us to trade him elsewhere, if we so wish.

I hope he says and gets super fit in readiness to become an automatic best 22 next season.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Lets not forget Sier has had a bad run with injuries and put himself through a Thai mick boxing camp in late 2017 to get a jump on the 2018 pre season.

He's as good as Wills inside and better outside and he's 3 years younger so I'll keep him.

wills as I read does have a contract offer on the table but is looking at his options. At 27 he'd be starting midfield at many clubs, he doesn't have much time left to maximise his playing and earning capacity.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Lets not forget Sier has had a bad run with injuries and put himself through a Thai mick boxing camp in late 2017 to get a jump on the 2018 pre season.

He's as good as Wills inside and better outside and he's 3 years younger so I'll keep him.

wills as I read does have a contract offer on the table but is looking at his options. At 27 he'd be starting midfield at many clubs, he doesn't have much time left to maximise his playing and earning capacity.

However there is talk that he is immortal so he will play for a long period.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20   

Jump to: