Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Turkey shoots down Russian jet.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Too much data.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
If killing one guy in a war plane is disgusting, what do you consider bombing civilians?

I'd love to know what the death toll of innocents in Syria is as a result of Russian air strikes right now.

It's not 'killing one guy in a war plane', it's shooting at an ejected pilot who is descending via parachute. It's a war crime.

I'd say the Russian civilian death toll is significantly less than Islamic State's tally and they're bombing military targets, not performing massacres for the hell of it.

^ Does that make it okay then? Just collateral damage, I guess.

Funny how selective outrage can be.

HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:12 pm

Morrigu wrote:
"A US official told Al Jazeera that the penetration of Turkish air space by the Russian jet lasted "only a matter of seconds" as it crossed a roughly 3km wide section of Turkey that took only 20 seconds to traverse."
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/nato-urges-calm-after-turkey-downs-russian-jet/ar-BBnp1qx?OCID=HPCDHP

Even though it seems Russia have strayed into Turkish airspace a few times recently - if the 20 seconds is correct that seems a massive over reaction from Turkey to shoot the jet down!! Especially given that they don't seem to have a problem violating another country's airspace.

"At least 20 Turkish military aircraft have entered Greek airspace. The Turkish jets were spotted in a number of areas of the Aegean Sea, where they stayed for several minutes. Five groups of 14 aircraft, as well as six separate planes have committed 15 violations and 31 other violations," the Greek newspaper wrote."
http://www.pravdareport.com/news/world/27-10-2015/132421-turkey_greece_airspace-0/#sthash.Y2K1nclf.dpuf

I read somewhere ( I cant link as I have forgotten where I read it DOH!) that the Turkmen were protecting daesh oil tankers when the Russian jets appeared and then the Turks blew em out of the sky - that makes more sense as a Turkish motive to me! With every passing day I am believing more and more that the Turkish Gov have done little to stem the flow of foreign fighters into Syria or let them back into Europe.

RIP pilots - I reckon you were better off to be shot on the way down than land in the hands of this backward barbaric mob!

Edited cause I should have said the Turkish Government - spent some wonderful time in Turkey and the country and the people were brilliant !!

The Turks have certainly been playing both sides in this conflict and I'm no fan of their current government, but to call them backward and barbaric is a bit much. In many respects they're a lot more progressive than many of their neighbours in the gulf and the levant (and Putin's Russia isn't exactly a model of liberal democracy right now).

They're far from perfect, but as with Iran, it's pretty important to have them onside right now.

Last edited by David on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:13 pm

https://www.rt.com/news/323377-russian-pilot-saved-syria/

2nd Russian pilot rescued by Syrian Special Forces.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 pm

David wrote:
The Turks have certainly been playing both sides in this conflict and I'm no fan of their current government, but to call them backward and barbaric is a bit much.

Wasn't what I meant and wasn't till I read it back that I realised that is what I was suggesting - was in the process of editing when you quoted the post.

I meant the terrorists of either side - I've spent some great time in Turkey and the country and people were mostly brilliant!!!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
If killing one guy in a war plane is disgusting, what do you consider bombing civilians?

I'd love to know what the death toll of innocents in Syria is as a result of Russian air strikes right now.

It's not 'killing one guy in a war plane', it's shooting at an ejected pilot who is descending via parachute. It's a war crime.

I'd say the Russian civilian death toll is significantly less than Islamic State's tally and they're bombing military targets, not performing massacres for the hell of it.

Almost as funny as false equivalence.

There are many significant points of difference between the two acts. The killing of a man in a parachute can have no purpose other than murder. The bombing of Raqqa, however, may be necessary in order to fulfil a purpose which is itself moral, namely the eradication of a regime that has a high place in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human brutality and inhumanity, and which will kill many more people if left unchecked. Both are problematic acts, but these are very different moral questions and I think it's wrong to equate them so simply.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:52 am

You don't think that one might warrant at least a fraction of the disgust? Or in the world of morality, are we only interested in motives, not consequences?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:07 pm

David wrote:
You don't think that one might warrant at least a fraction of the disgust? Or in the world of morality, are we only interested in motives, not consequences?

I'm not an ethical philosopher, but I think that what matters first is sincere good will. Without good will, I cannot think of a case where we would describe action as moral. That's the starting point in distinguishing between these two things. The idea of "good will" seems to rest on cultural assumptions about "the good", but as a conservative, I'm at ease with that.

Once you have good will, then I think negative consequences are really a matter of responsible calculation, proportionality relative to the good you intend, and mitigation. If these are sufficiently neglected, then arguably they bring into question your good will (cf Iraq 2). A bombing campaign where civilian deaths cannot be avoided - especially when inaction leads to its own death toll of innocents - is really a matter of these consequential calculations.

I have my doubts that the above figures largely on Mr Putin's agenda, but it is at least arguable. I do not think that shooting a man on a parachute meets any of those tests. At times like this, these distinctions matter.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:10 pm

When? Thanks I like your will then he or she think negative consequences a matter of responsible calculation proportionality relative to the good you intend and mitigation are too.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

Almost as funny as false equivalence.

There are many significant points of difference between the two acts. The killing of a man in a parachute can have no purpose other than murder. The bombing of Raqqa, however, may be necessary in order to fulfil a purpose which is itself moral, namely the eradication of a regime that has a high place in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human brutality and inhumanity, and which will kill many more people if left unchecked. Both are problematic acts, but these are very different moral questions and I think it's wrong to equate them so simply.

Shooting a soldier while parachuting to ground is, as you say a war crime.

Deliberately bombing a civilian target, as terrorists such as ISIS do, is/should be similar.

Deliberately bombing a "military" target (or in this case and ISIS command post ) and having some nearby civilians killed is not the same thing, anymore than Murder and manslaughter are the same thing.

People are just as dead, the key difference is intent.

Civilians are killed in all wars, the main difference now at least for Western society is to try to minimise civilian casualties rather than maximising them.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Personally, I'm not convinced that the Russians are doing all they can to minimise civilian casualties. Not to mention the legitimate non-ISIS fighters they're deliberately killing in the south-east Syria.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm sure they're all personally shattered at their failure to convince you, particularly considering you could reasonably expect the left wing propaganda news sites you frequent to provide a balanced view point. Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:32 pm

David wrote:
Personally, I'm not convinced that the Russians are doing all they can to minimise civilian casualties. Not to mention the legitimate non-ISIS fighters they're deliberately killing in the south-east Syria.

Are you convinced Isis are? ~ oh wait, that's what they are doing deliberately, killing maiming, torturong, civilians

HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Oh I get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: