Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How will we go in 2016?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will we go next year?
1-2
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
3-4
15%
 15%  [ 13 ]
5-6
35%
 35%  [ 29 ]
7-8
30%
 30%  [ 25 ]
9-10
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
11-12
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
13-18
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 82

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for the best in 2016, but this is what we're up against.
- Hawks and Swans going for 7 finals series in a row.
- Dockers going for 5th in a row.
- Tigers 4 in a row.
- Kangaroos 3 in a row.

Bulldogs, Crows and Eagles looking to consolidate their first season back in the 8.
Bombers, Cats and Power looking to get back in after 1 year out of the finals.

A few bad streaks:
- Pies missed last 2
- Demons missed last 9
- Lions missed last 6
- Saints and Giants missed last 4
- Suns missed last 5

Interesting fact: 11 of past 15 Grand Final winners were in their 3rd to 5th year in a row as finalists.

----------
------------
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:32 am

At some point I "Like" a Facebook page "Talking Footy - Anything to do with AFL"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/talkingfooty/?fref=nf

Recently a number of members have been predicting ladder positions for 2016.

Recently some individuals have been detailing their predictions for 2016.

Of the options I have reviewed only 1 person has us in the top 8 and the balance have us in the 9th - 13th range.

I do not believe that these opinions hold much weight but it is a reflection of what some non Collingwood supporters expect (in some cases hope for) for the Pies next year.

I hope they are in for a rude shock

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
At some point I "Like" a Facebook page "Talking Footy - Anything to do with AFL"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/talkingfooty/?fref=nf

Recently a number of members have been predicting ladder positions for 2016.

Recently some individuals have been detailing their predictions for 2016.

Of the options I have reviewed only 1 person has us in the top 8 and the balance have us in the 9th - 13th range.

I do not believe that these opinions hold much weight but it is a reflection of what some non Collingwood supporters expect (in some cases hope for) for the Pies next year.

I hope they are in for a rude shock

Member as you should know, predicting end of year finalists is based on pure speculation and utter guesswork, almost total fantasy. I would not put any credence in these views at all as there are so many intangibles involved in getting it right, let alone all the unknowns. Rolling Eyes

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:50 pm

I agree Lazza. The point I was attempting to highlight was the difference between Pies supporters expectations in respect to the the Pies as opposed to expectations of individuals that support other clubs.

I am certainly not losing sleep over it.

Rexy17 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

in between 4 and 12....its going to be another log jam for spots with sweet FA between them. Percentage will be the key and we aint that good at that
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
I agree Lazza. The point I was attempting to highlight was the difference between Pies supporters expectations in respect to the the Pies as opposed to expectations of individuals that support other clubs.

I am certainly not losing sleep over it.

You're right Member in identifying that many non-Collingwood supporters don't rate us highly enough to play finals next year. It's the general consensus I've received as well but the internal expectations are high and understandably so.

Hopefully we prove a lot of people wrong. I'm optimistic about our prospects next year than I was at the start of 2014 and 2015 so I'm really hoping we can be rewarded with good performances and possibly a finals finish.

In regards to taking these predictions seriously I don't think I would. Many thought we wouldn't play finals in 2002 and we did and played off in the Grand Final. In 2003, many thought we couldn't back it up again and play in a Grand Final and low and behold we did. In 2006 and 2007, many had us finishing bottom four and low and behold we played finals football whereas others thought we would do well enough to make the top four in 2008 and 2013 and yet we generated only ordinary results in comparison to the pre-season expectations that were placed upon us.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:36 am

Member 7167 wrote:

With all due respect Member, the vast majority of non Collingwood fans I know (about 99% I reckon) never rate Collingwood. In fact very few rated Collingwood as a flag threat even back in 2010! It's in their DNA to hate Collingwood and wish every ill upon them always. I have never ever taken or rated the views of non Collingwood media, fans or supporters seriously, because they are based on hatred and ill will rather than any sense of rationale or logic. In other words, pretty dumb assessments.
And in most of the cases I know, a non Collingwood fan and intelligence are not in the same company anyway..... Rolling Eyes Cool

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 am

They say this game is more and more about Midfields. All the places in all the awards are filled almost exclusively by Mids, and Mids are what sides fight for in a deep draft.

That being the case we should be easily the leagues best side. Yeah they have Fyfe's and Priddises, and such, but we have Pendles, Swan, Sidey, Treloar, Greenwood, and Taylor Adams ready to go in Round 1. Just that 6 can't be touched by any other in the game. 6 guys who can pick up 30 touches regularly and have the skills to make them count. No one has a midfield that comes close, but there's also Crisp and Marley & Varcoe as well, and after that we have 2 of the best kids playing in De Goey and Aish, and a whole tribe of kids starting up who've shown (shown me at least) that they could be anything, particularly Marsh, Maynard, Sier, Crocker, and Phillips. Whatever we're not so great at, we seem to be incredibly good - in the last two and a bit years in turning kids and 'maybes' into solid, clever players. If that continues in 2016 and we develop Howe, Aish, Sier and others the way we developed Crisp, Varcoe, Grundy & De Goey, its just unreasonable to think we don't finish top 4. And we NEED to finish top 4 coz we have a job that needs doing.
Who else do we think is going to do it? Freo?, Port again? Wet Toast? Maybe 1 bloke will turn Geelong into potential Premiers?
No, we will have to stop Hawthorn ourselves, just like we stopped Melbourne in '58 when THEY tried to touch our untouchable achievement of Four straight Flags!

And whoever said missing the finals in 2016 would surely be the start of the end?! Kerrist! 2012 was the start. Anyone who can't get this mob into the top 8 shouldn’t be coaching The Dandenong North under 8's... girls side!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 am

35forever wrote:
They say this game is more and more about Midfields. All the places in all the awards are filled almost exclusively by Mids, and Mids are what sides fight for in a deep draft.

That being the case we should be easily the leagues best side. Yeah they have Fyfe's and Priddises, and such, but we have Pendles, Swan, Sidey, Treloar, Greenwood, and Taylor Adams ready to go in Round 1. Just that 6 can't be touched by any other in the game. 6 guys who can pick up 30 touches regularly and have the skills to make them count. No one has a midfield that comes close, but there's also Crisp and Marley & Varcoe as well, and after that we have 2 of the best kids playing in De Goey and Aish, and a whole tribe of kids starting up who've shown (shown me at least) that they could be anything, particularly Marsh, Maynard, Sier, Crocker, and Phillips. Whatever we're not so great at, we seem to be incredibly good - in the last two and a bit years in turning kids and 'maybes' into solid, clever players. If that continues in 2016 and we develop Howe, Aish, Sier and others the way we developed Crisp, Varcoe, Grundy & De Goey, its just unreasonable to think we don't finish top 4. And we NEED to finish top 4 coz we have a job that needs doing.
Who else do we think is going to do it? Freo?, Port again? Wet Toast? Maybe 1 bloke will turn Geelong into potential Premiers?
No, we will have to stop Hawthorn ourselves, just like we stopped Melbourne in '58 when THEY tried to touch our untouchable achievement of Four straight Flags!

And whoever said missing the finals in 2016 would surely be the start of the end?! Kerrist! 2012 was the start. Anyone who can't get this mob into the top 8 shouldn’t be coaching The Dandenong North under 8's... girls side!

Although I like your optimism 35forever and agree that we can't rely on other teams to protect our club's great record of 4 flags in a row, I think you have overemphasised the mids and maybe given too much credit to our players particularly the newbies.

If you look at most premiership teams (not all) there is generally a strong back 6 and also a dangerous forward line - with at least a couple of champs up forward to stress the opposition. Of course the modern game requires a dominant midfield group and lots of possession however I think the efficiency of the Dorks game is their polish up forward. Yes we have an emerging midfield that is damaging due to the ability to in contested ball, but that needs to supported by forwards who can more often than not take advantage of the ball in their zone and score goals!

We still don't have a genuine crumber like Krak - maybe Varcoe can go up forward and cause some havoc - De Goey and Sidey also have some potential - but when the ball goes to ground we need to be dangerous - that was not he case lat year or the year before… Sad

I would also add that it is unlikely you will get the new guys performing like DeGoey. Most of our picks are promising however they were picked up much deeper in the draft than Jordan- a little more time would be required for Sier, Crocker and Phillips. De Goey is a gem but certainly more of the exception than the rule for a teenager! Improvements from Maynard, Ramsay and Marsh along with Crisp and Adams is reasonable and that is where we will hopefully see the Pies come into the finals mix as these emerging guys put pressure on the older blokes. But ultimately for me the forwards need to step up. Elliot and Cloke need to have big years - deliver on their talent and the support cast need to start snagging some regular bags of goals.

I think we can push for top 4 next year and quite frankly if we are not in the finals mix than Buckley will need to be given the boot - they may not be top 4 prospects but if we don't see this team push into the September action then surely the Bucks stops with Bux! Personally I think he will also deliver - he has the team playing a finals brand of footy when they are switched on - it just needs to be done for a longer stretch of the season…

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Although I like your optimism 35forever and agree that we can't rely on other teams to protect our club's great record of 4 flags in a row,

There's a part of me that believes that Hawthorn will actually equal Collingwood's record next year but then this will fire up the 'pies in 2017 to win the flag by preventing the Hawks actually breaking the record. Collingwood should be peaking as a team in 2017 so this is not utter fantasy but a realistic possibility.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:14 pm
Post subject: Re: How will we go in 2016?Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:
I'm Perth magpies daughter. I am 11 tomorrow. I went to to see Collingwood a few times this year. My first game was against North. How do you think we will go next year?

Happy birthday chook!
I hereby declare you our good-luck-charm, and insist you attend even more games in 2016.
With you there at the games, I am confident we will win more than we lose.

And I think your dad should get you a pony for your birthday.
If you are in Yarrawonga, you have plenty of land for one. No excuses, dad.

Failing that, then a puppy is in order.

See, that's the sort of generous people we are here on Nicks. Very Happy

Skinflint.

I reckon a Puppy AND a Pony AND a dirtbike. Razz

Scrooge. I'd be adding a 12 month supply of red cordial at Christmas

themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:41 am

Jezza wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Good to see expectations are a little more realistic this year. I for one think we'll just miss, or just make the finals. It won't be a fail if we miss, as long as we see consistency from the players, and a solid game plan from the box.

Well-said! This echoes my thoughts entirely.

yep Cool
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:20 am

The key to Collingwood's fortunes rests with one player in my opinion. So important is this player that when he doesn't play we struggle against good teams. When he plays he adds a strong spine to our back six. His reading of the play is A1, his ball use is as well and crucially, teamed with Nathan Brown, allows Frost to play the third big back. Ben Reid holds Collingwood's year in his hands, or more accurately, in his calves.

Reid is the glue that holds our back six together. Langdon reads the play well and is brave, but his kicking lets him down. Ditto Williams. I like both these boys, but their decision making under pressure can be questionable also. Toovey may have reached that time in his career where he is overtaken by the likes of Marsh and Maynard. When Reid plays our back six suddenly looks strong and reliable. But you wouldn't want to be relying on Ben Reid would you? Last year we said the same things about Ben and Nathan Brown. Browny came back well to be a consistent performer; perhaps Reid can surprise.

Grundy is important too. He's still got a lot of developing to do, but if he fails to deliver, as he did in the second half of the year, Collingwood struggles. He may have been injured but he was pretty poor at the end.

The midfield looks pretty strong now with Treloar and Aish added. There is grunt, speed and class and plenty of depth. Can stand beside the big boys here.

The forward line is probably our weakest area in my opinion. Cloke had another average year, Elliott disappointed; he's flashy and exciting but is not reliable. Moore is developing and will most likely, be a champ. We just need to pick him, get games into him and hope he can kick a couple each week.

Howe is the wildcard. He was spectacular at Melbourne but hardly consistent. He will take pressure of Cloke and should take the spot of the unreliable Jesse White. Broomy and Swanny probably play forward a lot more often this year and that could add that missing X Factor that we desperately need.

So, can we improve enough to make the eight? Our natural improvement says we will be knocking on the door and the addition of Treloar, Aish and Howe should just about cement a spot, but as Mackasmatt has wisely pointed out, a lot depends upon who comes out. There are a few teams looking wonky. Adelaide is no certainty to make the eight and I think they'll fall out. Richmond also is no certainty. Flaky under pressure the Tigers are under immense pressure. Talented but no certainties.

Let's assume two to three teams fall out as is usually the case and factor in a bolter coming in, which also usually happens. Who comes in? Port seems to be almost a certainty and Geelong with its additions, also looks very likely. I think we are below both these teams and sit with Gold Coast and GWS jostling for a spot in the eight. We could well win 13-14 games which is a reasonable expectation. We were twelfth last year with ten wins and so an improvement of 3-4 games should do it. Somewhere between 8-10 is the likely outcome.

2016 - 9th
2017 - 6-8th
2018 - top 4
2019 - top 4
2020 - top 4

History tells us that we need to be there a few years and then develop the experience and ability to beat the top teams as we did in 2010. In 2017 and the following 3-4 years is when you'd expect another premiership challenge if all goes according to plan.........but as older, long-suffering Magpies can attest, for Collingwood, things rarely go according to plan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: