Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Muslim immigration

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
David wrote:
Terribly sad news. The politics of fear and hate have clearly captured one side of politics over there.

I think it's fantastic news and we should do exactly the same thing Idea

I say we harness that anger to start and lose another two wars and crash the world economy again even as real wages decline and housing becomes unaffordable; that would be a stroke of civilisation-building genius! Idea

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

David wrote:
Terribly sad news. The politics of fear and hate have clearly captured one side of politics over there.

Dunno about hate but fear and caution yes.

That's what being subject to terrorist attacks does to you.

We're still sticking to taking ours but are putting them through a rigorous screening process and rightly so on both counts.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:57 pm

^ Which is exactly what the brain-dead traitor Obama (sorry, a moderate Republican just hijacked my keyboard) is proposing: rigorous processing and 12-18 month waiting periods. I just can't believe that the entire American right has become so feral. Americans are far more at risk from their fellow citizens than they are from Syrian refugees.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Interesting that a poll has 79% of respondents in fear of a Paris Style attack in Australia. The Media are doing a fine job.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:20 pm

David wrote:
^ Which is exactly what the brain-dead traitor Obama (sorry, a moderate Republican just hijacked my keyboard) is proposing: rigorous processing and 12-18 month waiting periods. I just can't believe that the entire American right has become so feral. Americans are far more at risk from their fellow citizens than they are from Syrian refugees.

But it wasn't just the republicans was it - didn't a heap of Democrats ( Obama's supposed support) vote with them to pass the bill??? ( sure that's what I heard on the radio on the way to work).

Meanwhile ..... New Orleans park shooting leaves 16 injured!!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34897310

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Yep, 43 Democrats. That doesn't surprise me, though; the Democrats are a traditionally centre-right party. They have people who'd be to the right of most Liberal/National politicians here. What shocks me is that the Republicans seem to be so unified on supporting far-right issues nowadays.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:09 pm

David wrote:
Americans are far more at risk from their fellow citizens than they are from Syrian refugees.

Now who's talking garbage! Revisit this thread in 12... no 2 months and see how much more carnage these rampant lunatics cause across the globe. Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Americans? Oh, quite a lot, no doubt. But I don't think we have much to fear from Syrian refugees.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 pm

^ David in the current migrant crisis ( massive numbers) and porous European borders there has to be a concern - not for all supposed Syrian refugees ( there is flourishing trade in Syrian passports) - but for the potential for terrorists to pose as such and enter countries and committ such as we have seen in Paris - 3 of the terrorists who committed the atrocities have now been identified by the French authorities as having entered Europe this way and a couple of the others ( who were not Syrian but Belgium and French born) were able to travel to Syria and return avoiding detection because of the open borders - that is not ideal - surely you can see that?

More of a concern is that with so many taking advantage of mad Merkel's open invitation - there will be many deaths - winter in Europe is approaching ( and it is damn cold and wet!!) - the numbers of people are not sustainable - they need to weed out those that are not genuine refugees so that those that are can be cared for.

Maybe 9/11 has so spooked the Americans that they respond as they are currently doing - dunno.

I know you will disagree but I am pleased that we are vetting appropriately and taking asylum seekers from refugee camps!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 pm

As would the US. I read an article the other day which mentioned the rigorous vetting process. Apparently the Americans use something like six agencies to interview refugees and cross-check their claims, which makes lying nearly impossible. They do not allow refugees who have been involved with any major military or government organisation, terrorist or not.

I'm not saying that's the right way to go about it, but surely a reasonable person couldn't see the American refugee acceptance process as too lenient. Whether the German open border policy is too lenient is irrelevant to that discussion. Personally, I think it's an incredibly cowardly act to shut the door on tens of thousands of desperate people on the grounds that five or ten of them might be responsible for a hypothetical terror attack, when just as many potential terrorists (not to mention school shooters) might already be living amongst the population anyway. It just seems like cheap xenophobia to me.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:43 am

Trump is a monster, riding on monstrous times. But party activists are not the majority, and even if he gets the Republican nomination - which I doubt, though I have little regard for the intellect of the average Republican activist - I think he'd be trounced in any face-off against Hillary. I know lots of moderate Republicans who see what Trump is, and they'd swallow their distaste and vote Democrat if they had to.

Still, anything is possible, especially if there is another significant Muslim atrocity on US soil between now and November. If Trump does become President of the U.S., I'll certainly start to credit the possibility that the USA has become a rogue state.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 am

David wrote:
As would the US. I read an article the other day which mentioned the rigorous vetting process. Apparently the Americans use something like six agencies to interview refugees and cross-check their claims, which makes lying nearly impossible. They do not allow refugees who have been involved with any major military or government organisation, terrorist or not.

I'm not saying that's the right way to go about it, but surely a reasonable person couldn't see the American refugee acceptance process as too lenient. Whether the German open border policy is too lenient is irrelevant to that discussion. Personally, I think it's an incredibly cowardly act to shut the door on tens of thousands of desperate people on the grounds that five or ten of them might be responsible for a hypothetical terror attack, when just as many potential terrorists (not to mention school shooters) might already be living amongst the population anyway. It just seems like cheap xenophobia to me.

Really?

Rethink 9/11. Had all the planes hit their intended targets it would have been much much worse. The heroes of 9/11 should never be forgotten.
"LETS ROLL"

They haven't shut the door, they are just being bloody careful. As is Australia

You have to wonder how you protect all those borders in Europe, it's surely impossible to patrol it all with any accuracy. Have you watched any of the docos about the trouble they are having at the tunnel to England? People jumping on, around, under trucks to get across the border?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 am

^ What congress is proposing is, essentially, to shut the door. Only Obama is preventing that from happening (though I don't know enough about the American system to know how such a fight will play out).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:42 am

David wrote:
^ What congress is proposing is, essentially, to shut the door.

Well that's not nice

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:51 pm

David wrote:
^ What congress is proposing is, essentially, to shut the door. Only Obama is preventing that from happening (though I don't know enough about the American system to know how such a fight will play out).

I don't know a lot about the American system either, but my understanding is Congress makes the laws, not the president.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: