Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Insignia removed from army chaplain hats

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of key sentences in this article that NO-ONE (except me) seems to have read...
Quote:
Army chaplains are understood to have pushed for the change.
Former principal chaplain to the army Monsignor Greg Flynn said:
“We have been aware of this coming down the track and most chaplains would agree with the change.
It is a reality.”

If you people aren't happy about the Australian Army Chaplin's wanting the reference to the crusades removed, it's something that you should take up with your local church!
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:44 pm

3.14159 wrote:
There are a couple of key sentences in this article that NO-ONE (except me) seems to have read...
Quote:
“We have been aware of this coming down the track and most chaplains would agree with the change.
It is a reality.”

If you people aren't happy about the Australian Army Chaplin's wanting the reference to the crusades removed, it's something that you should take up with your local church!

I missed that Embarassed Laughing

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:22 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Quote:
It is a reality.”

No I read that 3 which is why I made no comment re the insignia - my objection is and remains the choice of army imam (I had to quote the article as that is where this came from):

" The army imam, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has previously called for sharia law to be introduced into Australia. He signed a petition supporting radical Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which has argued in favour of honour killings and said Muslim students should not be forced to honour Anzac Day. "

Just one article from a quick search!

ONE of the nation's top Muslim leaders, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has supported a plan to introduce sharia law in Australia, saying it could operate in the family law system through a new model of Islamic arbitration.

In its submission to the parliamentary inquiry into the policy, the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils called for Muslims to be offered "legal pluralism".

But Mr McClelland said there was no place for sharia law in Australian society, and the government strongly rejected any proposal for its introduction.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/imam-wants-sharia-law-here-but-a-g-says-no-way/story-fn59niix-1226057823890

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Morrigu wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
Quote:
It is a reality.”

No I read that 3 which is why I made no comment re the insignia - my objection is and remains the choice of army imam (I had to quote the article as that is where this came from):

" The army imam, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has previously called for sharia law to be introduced into Australia. He signed a petition supporting radical Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which has argued in favour of honour killings and said Muslim students should not be forced to honour Anzac Day. "

ONE of the nation's top Muslim leaders, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has supported a plan to introduce sharia law in Australia, saying it could operate in the family law system through a new model of Islamic arbitration.

In its submission to the parliamentary inquiry into the policy, the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils called for Muslims to be offered "legal pluralism".

But Mr McClelland said there was no place for sharia law in Australian society, and the government strongly rejected any proposal for its introduction.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/imam-wants-sharia-law-here-but-a-g-says-no-way/story-fn59niix-1226057823890

Gees

Not only should he not have got the job/post, he should be either locked in the nut house, or better yet,sent back where he came from. Tell me please, why they leave? I'm assuming he was t a refugee, so why come here away from those conditions, and want to bring the. With you? $£$%^%%$ crazy

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Morrigu wrote:

He said he'd like to see it operate in conjunction with the Family Court when Muslim families are involved, OK fair enough, that is his opinion.
(It's not too dis-similar to what Aboriginals would like in their communities).
He signed a petition supporting Hizb ut-Tahrir, again big deal, they are not a Terrorist organisation, they are just another group with a wish list and he has never (to my knowledge) supported honour killings and signing a petition does NOT mean he automatically agrees with EVERY thing that Organisation stands for.

I did a quick search "Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem honour killings" all I got was links to Anti Halal, Andrew Bolt and The Australian (Tax-Payer funded) Newspaper editorials.
Not exactly paragons of dis-ambiguity!

If he really was even 1/2 as bad (as Murdoch would have us believe) I doubt he have got this position in the Australian Army.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Under what circumstances? Can you give me a more specific reference? The name of the paper and the date, please.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 pm

^ fair points, Pi. While that is "calling for Sharia Law to be introduced", it's pretty nuanced and specific if that is all it was. I suspect it'd the thin end of the wedge, but it's not quite how it was reported.

The motto does not originate from the crusades, though it was probably used in them - as it was, apparently, on the scarps of Gallipoli.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Fair enough 3 that's your opinion and you are indeed entitled to it

I disagree and am indeed entitled to do so

We are now so hell bent on not offending it has become ridiculous - he IMHO should not have a position in the Army ( or any official Govt position) the same as any clergy rep from any religion that espouses such views whether they be anti gay, anti Semitic anti whatever or just not in accordance with the cultural mores and values of the society they live in - in this case Australia - should not hold such positions.

I want no part of Sharia in any way shape or form being implemented in this country - end of !! It was more than a suggestion the Islamic Council put in a formal application to have it incorporated into law - tell me how many other demands from the multitude of religious organisations should we entertain and accept as ok in this country??

Yes many indigenous Australian communities are seeking to incorporate tradional law in their communities - they are mainly remote. I don't agree with this either - cause like Sharia it is mediavial

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Yeah totally agree

Re the comparison to aboriginal communities, really? Do you think they would be accepting of a bunch of Aussies going over there and wanting our laws accepted? Hmm, I'm,no, particulary with family law. Women and children need protecting from anything to do with Sharia law.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:01 pm

One country, one set of laws that apply equally to all, not different laws for different people.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:41 pm

^ yep that's all I want 👍
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 am

As I said, I tend to agree with you on Sharia, but that doesn't make someone who suggests a pluralistic legal system the scum of the earth. He's entitled to his view, and it looks like he's the victim of some pretty nasty character assassination right now.

You want to talk about Australian values, well, free speech is one of them. It'd be good if a few more people said that and meant it.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Being able express a view without being prosecuted doesn't mean that you won't be ridiculed or otherwise suffer some penalty.

He's free to raise his opinion and others are free to express their opinion about his intelligence and suitability for some forms of employment.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
One country, one set of laws that apply equally to all, not different laws for different people.

I agree, but the differential legal and economic access wealth buys dwarfs any division Shariah Twain law could dream of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: