Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Insignia removed from army chaplain hats

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the EDL and American Nazi Party also embrace its comforting sentiments:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:38 am

For me, it's just a tiny, irrelevant issue either way. Just fodder for the tabloid press and their anti-Islam, anti-secularisation, perpetually outraged readers.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ I think the chaplains for different faiths alrady have their own faith-relevant signifiers within an overall style of uniform, PTID.

My reading of the article was that the muslim chaplain wanted the Christian signifier changed bcause he thought it referred to the crusades. It doesn't, but you don't expect VCE-level history from an Islamic education.

If the muslim chaplain has to wear that badge, then agreed, it is a nonsense and should be changed for him.

Otherwise, it's a choice for the Christian chaplains, not the Muslim stirrers, though probably one they -the Xtians - should make as it is not really in keeping with modern Christianity (unless broadly interpreted as meaning "fight and win within Christian values").

Yeah, saw the bit at the bottom and changed my post on the fly!

But no, it's not a choice for Christians at all to use that rubbish; it's a choice for the military to approve these things. But, as I say, I bet many Christian groups oppose it, but that doesn't sell tabloids. It's an offensive Barry Crocker of a badge.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:41 am

David wrote:
For me, it's just a tiny, irrelevant issue either way. Just fodder for the tabloid press and their anti-Islam, perpetually outraged readers.

Perhaps, but if it was raised as an objection by the Islamic chaplain against the wearing of that traditional sign by Christian chaplains, then it is just anither example of the relentless provocation by muslim stirrers who wish to engender division. And this particular gentleman seems to have some unsavoury sympathies. I think that's rather important, given his position.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:43 am

David wrote:
For me, it's just a tiny, irrelevant issue either way. Just fodder for the tabloid press and their anti-Islam, anti-secularisation, perpetually outraged readers.

Yes, agree with that, too.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:46 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
For me, it's just a tiny, irrelevant issue either way. Just fodder for the tabloid press and their anti-Islam, perpetually outraged readers.

Perhaps, but if it was raised as an objection by the Islamic chaplain against the wearing of that traditional sign by Christian chaplains, then it is just anither example of the relentless provocation by muslim stirrers who wish to engender division. And this particular gentleman seems to have some unsavoury sympathies. I think that's rather important, given his position.

Yes, but you actually have to fabricate an entire story in your mind to get there. In other words, you're the only one we know for sure who has the desire for conflict here because none of us knows the facts. The other bloke is likely just putting forward longstanding and widely-held objections - like him or not, like his attitude or not. No need for your imagination to get emotionally involved, surely.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:49 am

Sorry, this is not a good chat format - I keep editing on the fly!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 am

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, but you actually have to fabricate an entire story in your mind to get there. In other words, you're the only one we know for sure who has the desire for conflict here because none of us knows the facts. The other bloke is likely just putting forward longstanding and widely-held objections - like him or not, like his attitude or not. No need for your imagination to get emotionally involved, surely.

Not at all - we're talking about an article that was published. I think the issue is pretty clear, there. It's not a fabrication of my imagination, just taking what was reported at face value. I admit that's a slightly iffy thing to do where the Hun's concerned.....

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:27 am

David wrote:
I would have also signed that petition, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Basic free speech issue. Same goes for Anzac Day. I don't agree with introducing Sharia Law, but I'd like to see the context for the claim that he has 'called for it'.

You'd sign a petition for a group in favour of honour killings?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
Skids wrote:
THE Australian Army is removing the motto “In this sign conquer” from the 102-year-old hat badges of army chaplains because it is offensive to Muslims.

The move comes after an imam approved by the Grand Mufti was appointed to join the ­Religious Advisory Committee to the Services in June.

Australian Army chaplains have had the motto on their hat badges since 1913.

I want muslims to remove their beards coz they look like a bunch of pubes and I find THAT offensive.

How bout he learns some tolerance instead of expecting a one way street.

Dicks like that need to get over themselves and whoever approved the change needs a fick to the nuts.

This

The chaplains have worn the badge for 102 years. That's a big tradition. Why is he offended? Someone else said he's offended about a meaning that is not correct?

Gees it seems some people just look for ways to be offended. instead of ranting against a newspaper for writing an article about what you say is a small issue David, how about ranting about someone who comes in and wants to change a logo on a hat? What will offend him next?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am

Who said he was ranting? For all we know he simply brought it up politely with the rest of the committee, they considered it and agreed with him.

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I would have also signed that petition, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Basic free speech issue. Same goes for Anzac Day. I don't agree with introducing Sharia Law, but I'd like to see the context for the claim that he has 'called for it'.

If that petition was arguing that their organisation should not be criminalised, then yes. I strongly opposed the ban on Hizb ut-Tahrir that was being floated by Tony Abbott earlier this year.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:13 am

Yes, it is much the same.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 pm

David wrote:
Who said he was ranting? For all we know he simply brought it up politely with the rest of the committee, they considered it and agreed with him.

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

If that petition was arguing that their organisation should not be criminalised, then yes. I strongly opposed the ban on Hizb ut-Tahrir that was being floated by Tony Abbott earlier this year.

Hizb ut-Tahrir (Arabic: حزب التحرير Ḥizb at-Taḥrīr; Party of Liberation) is an international pan-Islamic political organisation. They are commonly associated with the goal of all Muslim countries unifying as an Islamic state or caliphate ruled by Islamic law (sharia) and with a caliph head of state elected by Muslims.

So in effect it's the ISIS political wing. I'm a bit torn on this one, I guess I wouldn't want them banned, I'd want them treated as the enemy combatants they are. In a time of war, the 5th columnists are as dangerous as the army in the field.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 pm

David wrote:

Yeah rite. So really, we should remove the magpie from our emblem, I mean, look how many injuries are caused by this nuisance bird swooping poor innocent people throughout the country. This emblem must offend so many non-muslims & muslims alike. It's time to make a stand.

http://www.magpiealert.com/All-Australia-Magpie-Map.php Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: