Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Insignia removed from army chaplain hats

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm
Post subject: Insignia removed from army chaplain hatsReply with quote

<split from 'Attacks in Paris' thread>

I wasn't sure where to put this but seeing the thread is now discussing diversity well....

Army chaplains to remove ‘conquer’ from 102-year-old motto because it is offensive to Muslims.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/army-chaplains-to-remove-conquer-from-102yearold-motto-because-it-is-offensive-to-muslims/news-story/f141d50f061f9516a4f60dc7f234e7c2

I get that if they must have religious council or whatever that it needs to be inclusive of all religions - no problems.

BUT I seriously don't get and think the choice of Islamic rep is bloody ridiculous Rolling Eyes

" The army imam, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has previously called for sharia law to be introduced into Australia. He signed a petition supporting radical Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which has argued in favour of honour killings and said Muslim students should not be forced to honour Anzac Day.

Sheik Saleem was supported for the role by Grand Mufti Ibrahim Abu Mohammed, who this week sparked controversy by failing to come straight out and condemn the Paris terror attacks."

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Herald Sun article. Turn an absolute non-issue (how many people even knew this logo existed?) into a political-correctness-gone-mad beat-up, complete with quotes from a right-wing extremist about how outrageous it all is.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:31 pm

^ My comment was not about the logo rather the choice of imam Rolling Eyes

Happy with that choice are you?

Here's a radical way out suggestion - has it ever occurred to you EVER that it might be your opinion that is wrong??

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm

David wrote:
Classic Herald Sun article. Turn an absolute non-issue (how many people even knew this logo existed?) into a political-correctness-gone-mad beat-up, complete with quotes from a right-wing extremist about how outrageous it all is.

You didn't say that about the ones I posted that you agreed with. Rolling Eyes

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Here's a radical way out suggestion - has it ever occurred to you EVER that it might be your opinion that is wrong??

Laughing puhleeze, how dare you Laughing

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:37 pm

THE Australian Army is removing the motto “In this sign conquer” from the 102-year-old hat badges of army chaplains because it is offensive to Muslims.

The move comes after an imam approved by the Grand Mufti was appointed to join the ­Religious Advisory Committee to the Services in June.

Australian Army chaplains have had the motto on their hat badges since 1913.

I want muslims to remove their beards coz they look like a bunch of pubes and I find THAT offensive.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Morrigu wrote:

Yes. Often. How about you?

As for the Imam, sounds like a lot of noise about a fairly small issue to me. He did condemn the attacks straight off the bat, but had the temerity to suggest that there might be other factors leading to the terrorism problem. Otherwise, I know little about him and care even less.

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Possibly because they weren't (in my opinion) "classic Herald Sun" beat-ups?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:27 pm

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Yes. Often. How about you?

As for the Imam, sounds like a lot of noise about a fairly small issue to me. He did condemn the attacks straight off the bat, but had the temerity to suggest that there might be other factors leading to the terrorism problem. Otherwise, I know little about him and care even less.

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Possibly because they weren't (in my opinion) "classic Herald Sun" beat-ups?

FFS - THIS is what I have a problem with - are you happy with this choice???

" The army imam, Sheik Mohamadu Nawas Saleem, has previously called for sharia law to be introduced into Australia. He signed a petition supporting radical Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir, which has argued in favour of honour killings and said Muslim students should not be forced to honour Anzac Day."

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:31 pm

I would have also signed that petition, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Basic free speech issue. Same goes for Anzac Day. I don't agree with introducing Sharia Law, but I'd like to see the context for the claim that he has 'called for it'.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:36 pm

^ he sounds like a grossly unsuitable person to be in the position he is in, vis-a-vis the Australian army.

The motto relates to the Emperor Constantine. It'd make sense to change it not because it is offensive to Muslims, who chose to come to a country with a Christian heritage, but because it ought to be offensive to Christians.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ he sounds like a grossly unsuitable person to be in the position he is in, vis-a-vis the Australian army.

1000% agree!

Yes, it's he who should be removed.

Last edited by Proud Pies on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Skids wrote:
THE Australian Army is removing the motto “In this sign conquer” from the 102-year-old hat badges of army chaplains because it is offensive to Muslims.

The move comes after an imam approved by the Grand Mufti was appointed to join the ­Religious Advisory Committee to the Services in June.

Australian Army chaplains have had the motto on their hat badges since 1913.

I want muslims to remove their beards coz they look like a bunch of pubes and I find THAT offensive.

How bout he learns some tolerance instead of expecting a one way street.

Dicks like that need to get over themselves and whoever approved the change needs a fick to the nuts.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 am

But if the story is true, and the bloke has forced this issue alone without, say, support from the Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and Christian groups, he deserves praise.

It's a creepy, Dark Ages slogan even if Islam has it's own badge; the religious fruit loops who chose it a century ago didn't even understand their own faith. *Cringe*; are we sure George Pell is not 150 years old?

If getting this embarrassment corrected is actually your work and not the work of many others along with you, thank you chap for a good and correct request on behalf of your country. Why 21st century Christians aren't leading the change is beyond me; but perhaps they are and that doesn't make for a tabloid headline.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 am

^ I think the chaplains for different faiths alrady have their own faith-relevant signifiers within an overall style of uniform, PTID.

My reading of the article was that the muslim chaplain wanted the Christian signifier changed bcause he thought it referred to the crusades. It doesn't, but you don't expect VCE-level history from an Islamic education.

If the muslim chaplain has to wear that badge, then agreed, it is a nonsense and should be changed for him.

Otherwise, it's a choice for the Christian chaplains, not the Muslim stirrers, though probably one they -the Xtians - should make as it is not really in keeping with modern Christianity (unless broadly interpreted as meaning "fight and win within Christian values").

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:36 am

Where did you get your reading of the article was that the muslim chaplain wanted the Christian signifier changed bcause he thought it referred to the crusades?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: