Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How should the world deal with ISIS?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do about ISIS?
Withdraw all Western forces and hope for the best
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deploy a large number of ground forces into Iraq and Syria to defeat them, then rebuild both countries
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Negotiate with ISIS to stop further attacks and expansion of the group
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow Middle Eastern countries and militia groups to deal with the problem
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It's too late! ISIS can't be stopped.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Containment from the air but no ground force invasion in Iraq and Syria (current policy)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other (please explain)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No Idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I stood on the top rung, still not funny
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:02 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Thanks for sharing the link Smile

In a conventional war sense, Raqqa and Mosul are the two places that definitely need attention if you're going to defeat the group (whether that's Western forces, Arab forces or forces inside Syria and Iraq).

Although it doesn't address other issues such as funding from the Gulf states and Islamic sectarianism (and other issues not listed) which is essential in understanding how the group operates and why it thrives in the first place.

No problem, I thought that it would be an interesting one to add to the discussion already.

It doesn't seem that any of the solutions being proposed by some in the media, or public eye have really addressed all the issues there, most have just looked at blowing up ISIS and left it at that and not any of the other issues.

Bombing the crap out of ISIS but having no after thought or contingency plan of what to do about Syria and Iraq will see mistakes being repeated again like a decade ago.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:20 pm

A good article from RT who spoke to German journalist Jurgen Todenhofer and the only Western journalist to visit the "Islamic State" and comeback home alive who discusses the possible strategies of how to defeat ISIS.

It certainly ponders several issues and raises some excellent points.

https://www.rt.com/news/322996-islamic-state-journalist-todenhofer/

Quote:
“I cannot judge the Russian army but I can judge the Western armies. The American Marines and special forces have no chance in a fight against guerilla fighters, because these fighters are ready to die, and Americans Marines do not want to die,” Todenhofer said.

To create real problems for ISIS, the West should do several things: stop the delivery of weapons, ammunition and money from the Gulf monarchies and close the Turkish border used to transit new fighters to ISIS, Todenhofer said, recalling how easy it was to cross the Syrian-Turkish border.

The third important thing is promoting reconciliation between Shia and Sunnis in Iraq, Syria and Turkey, because ISIS finds support among those dissatisfied with the governments and existing state of things.

Fighting ISIS needs an intelligent strategy, Todenhofer said.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Jezza wrote:
A good article from RT who spoke to German journalist Jurgen Todenhofer and the only Western journalist to visit the "Islamic State" and comeback home alive who discusses the possible strategies of how to defeat ISIS.

It certainly ponders several issues and raises some excellent points.

https://www.rt.com/news/322996-islamic-state-journalist-todenhofer/

Quote:
“I cannot judge the Russian army but I can judge the Western armies. The American Marines and special forces have no chance in a fight against guerilla fighters, because these fighters are ready to die, and Americans Marines do not want to die,” Todenhofer said.

To create real problems for ISIS, the West should do several things: stop the delivery of weapons, ammunition and money from the Gulf monarchies and close the Turkish border used to transit new fighters to ISIS, Todenhofer said, recalling how easy it was to cross the Syrian-Turkish border.

The third important thing is promoting reconciliation between Shia and Sunnis in Iraq, Syria and Turkey, because ISIS finds support among those dissatisfied with the governments and existing state of things.

Fighting ISIS needs an intelligent strategy, Todenhofer said.

Hasn't the Suni's and Shina been Fighting since forever?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Send in the Eastern troops. Only China's army can defeat ISIS
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Mostly since around the 16th century, according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia%E2%80%93Sunni_relations#Shiism_in_Persia_after_Safavids

Quote:
Ismail I initiated a religious policy to recognize Shiism as the official religion of the Safavid Empire, and the fact that modern Iran and Azerbaijan remain officially Shia states is a direct result of Ismail's actions.

Shah Ismail I of Safavid dynasty destroyed the tombs of Abū Ḥanīfa and the Sufi Abdul Qadir Gilani in 1508. In 1533, Ottomans restored order, reconquered Iraq and rebuilt Sunni shrines.

Unfortunately for Ismail, most of his subjects were Sunni. He thus had to enforce official Shiism violently, putting to death those who opposed him.

Under this pressure, Safavid subjects either converted or pretended to convert, but it is safe to say that the majority of the population was probably genuinely Shia by the end of the Safavid period in the 18th century, and most Iranians today are Shia, although there is still a Sunni minority.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:18 pm

" What's the craic lads?": Read this Irishman's brilliant Facebook letter to ISIS

'Finchie Cova' wrote an 800+ word missive to the terrorists yesterday, asking them how they were and noting the chilling video they sent out this week branding Ireland as 'Europe's weakest link'.

He tells them we're "only here for the craic" and warns them not to blow up famous chipper Leo Burdocks - but attacking Leitrim is fine. Plus, hitting pubs is well out of the question.

Now keeping that in mind let me let you in on a few tips if you do decide to come over here and pi** in our cornflakes.

Don't judge us on the actions of the lads across the pond. We don't like that craic. I get that ye have yer fight an all, but dont drag us into it, we don't give a left b****ck for Alan and what he tells ye to do.

Sharon's law, (or whatever it is) won't work here. I know a Sharon, and she's a ****. We don't like her either.

Don't bomb our sh**. We just finished building it back after breaking free from the very enemy you also have on your hit list. (if you want tho you can destroy leitrim, absolute sh***hole lads I'm not joking)

We have more than one army. 1 official army (actually went training in north cork recently to prepare for your arrival. And yes north cork is exactly like Damascus, especially fermoy on a Friday night).

We also have a few non official, highly secretive, multi talented armies all with the same name (you get used to it after a while) who hate each other but have one very important thing in common...all mad b****rds. Let that sink in

By the way the unofficial armies are all trained in guerrilla warfare. Meaning your f***ed. Like actually f***ed. Unless you want to buy weapons, then some of them will turn a blind eye to " the cause" and sell ya a few AKs while you visit.

Don't even think about blowing up Leo Burdocks!!! Consider this your harshest warning!

If any single pub is damaged during your short stay here, we will consider this an act of war!!! And we praise to our God Arthur, we will strike down on you with great vengeance and furious anger on those who attempt to destroy our drinking patterns during a time of crises!.

On a final note, remember these and you should be fine:

1. Offies close at ten

2. Don't leave the immersion on

3. PM me for Bono's address

4. Don't bomb sh** when the toy show is on

5. Start with leitrim

6. If your looking for virgins you won't find any on Harcourt street

7. Get a Tesco clubcard. Trust me.

8. If you want to blow up a stadium, go to dalymount please.

9. Go to a water protest, they don't judge you for where your from, just if you pay or not.

10. Finally, if asked for change, eyes down and keep F***ing walking!

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/whats-the-craic-lads-read-this-irishmans-brilliant-facebook-letter-to-isis/ar-AAfKH5k?li=AAabC8j

👍 Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:36 pm

LOL,

That should be an instruction to the powers that be in how to beat ISIS.

First, get some mad arab to blow up an irish pub

Second, figure out where the ISIS command post is and build a pub nearby

Third, air drop a plane load off pissed of paddy's on the other side of the ISIS command centre, so they have to go through the ISIS clowns to get to the pub.

Fourth. Set up the cameras and make popcorn.

Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:20 am

Jezza wrote:
Bombing the crap out of ISIS but having no after thought or contingency plan of what to do about Syria and Iraq will see mistakes being repeated again like a decade ago.

that's exactly right, so maybe an plan after they've eliminated, or culled enough for them to bring in someone to rule over it and start a rebuild would be rather nice for them.

I don't think Iraq has been much the better without Saddam, seems like it's gotten a hell of a lot worse from what I have read. I mean I've not read a lot but most of the stories coming from there that I have, have indicted no improvement.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:52 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Jezza wrote:

that's exactly right, so maybe an plan after they've eliminated, or culled enough for them to bring in someone to rule over it and start a rebuild would be rather nice for them.

I don't think Iraq has been much the better without Saddam, seems like it's gotten a hell of a lot worse from what I have read. I mean I've not read a lot but most of the stories coming from there that I have, have indicted no improvement.

I think there's a little bit of revisionism when it comes to Saddam's reign of power in Iraq because it was hardly a paradise for the majority Shia population and the Kurds in the North but it's true that Iraq's political stability has not improved. Saddam was able to keep the country stable until the political turmoil that would soon follow after the 2003 invasion.

Iraq's government led by Nouri Al-Maliki are one of the key reasons as to why ISIS was able to rise in Northern Iraq. Al-Maliki's sectarian-driven policies resulted in the minority Sunni population to become disenfranchised with the government and almost become unfazed by the rise of ISIS.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 pm

David Cameron has appealed to Conservative MPs to give him an overall parliamentary majority in favour of military action in Syria by warning them against voting alongside “Jeremy Corbyn and a bunch of terrorist sympathisers”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/01/cameron-accuses-corbyn-of-being-terrorist-sympathiser

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Sounds like he wants a 'coalition of the willing'. Laughing

(Honestly I'm not even sure where I stand on military intervention in Syria. Certainly wouldn't trust Cameron to take a cautious approach on this, though!)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:10 pm

The US is sending in the special forces, but not ordinary ground troops. Doing what I suggested.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/us-sending-new-special-ops-force-to-fight-islamic-state/news-story/b00e72e6429614a4cfb9397ff4b7f1ef

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:10 pm

David wrote:

(Honestly I'm not even sure where I stand on military intervention in Syria. Certainly wouldn't trust Cameron to take a cautious approach on this, though!)

If he's having trouble convincing his own party it should be The Coalition of the Once bitten twice Shy.

Quote:

David Cameron...
“You should not be walking through the lobbies with Jeremy Corbyn and a bunch of terrorist sympathisers,” the prime minister told the committee.

Labour dismissed the prime minister’s attack on Corbyn as a “contemptible and desperate slur which demeans his office”. A party spokesman said: “He clearly realises he has failed to make a convincing case for military action in Syria and opinion is shifting away from him.”

Character assassination, a Right Wing politicians best friend.
Rolling Eyes
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:59 pm

3.14159 wrote:
David wrote:

If he's having trouble convincing his own party it should be The Coalition of the Once bitten twice Shy.

Quote:

David Cameron...
“You should not be walking through the lobbies with Jeremy Corbyn and a bunch of terrorist sympathisers,” the prime minister told the committee.

Labour dismissed the prime minister’s attack on Corbyn as a “contemptible and desperate slur which demeans his office”. A party spokesman said: “He clearly realises he has failed to make a convincing case for military action in Syria and opinion is shifting away from him.”

Character assassination, a Right Wing politicians best friend.
Rolling Eyes

Before you make too many assumptions, perhaps you I think you need to be here in the UK to understand. Cameron's quote arises from the action of the Labour Party in recent weeks.

This included Ken Livingstone - Labour's appointee to a key defence role - stating that the 7/7 London bombers "gave their lives for what they believed in". The recently-appointed Shadow Chancellor (aka Treasurer-in-waiting, the second most senior role in the Opposition), is on record as saying of the IRA : "it's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table." Unfortunately, "terrorist sympathisers" is a perfectly accurate description.

Following an unexpected drubbing at the polls in May, Labour has taken leave of its senses in appointing an unelectable and incompetent Far Leftist as its leader. If they leave an open-goal via statements like the above, you can hardly blame the Prime Minister strolling in and punting it over the heads of the cheer squad. It demonstrates the modern political and moral poverty of the once-great British Labour Party, which has now fallen prey to Marxist and anarchist entryists. Fortunately the good sense of the British people means they will never be elected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12   

Jump to: