Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How should the world deal with ISIS?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do about ISIS?
Withdraw all Western forces and hope for the best
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deploy a large number of ground forces into Iraq and Syria to defeat them, then rebuild both countries
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Negotiate with ISIS to stop further attacks and expansion of the group
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow Middle Eastern countries and militia groups to deal with the problem
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It's too late! ISIS can't be stopped.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Containment from the air but no ground force invasion in Iraq and Syria (current policy)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other (please explain)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No Idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
^ sixpoints, the British army had left Iraq more or less completely by the thirties, having transitioned the country from a League of Nations mandate to independence under King Faisal, a relatively modernising figure and of course, a British ally. Had the Hashemites remained in power, it is likely that Iraq would be in a far better condition today.

It is funny how people see things so differently. You paint the 1921 war as a war of conquest against a united nationalist army, but i think a less romantic and more reasonable history would see it as a chaotic uprising, largely of the north against the Southern tribes. The British reimposed order as required by their mandate and got on with transitioning Iraq toward stability and independence under a Muslim king. It was in their interests to do so, partly as Iraq was an oil partner and strategic to them. You may argue that Faisal was a puppet, but the British were not making day to day decisions in Iraq by the 1930s and the country was independent, long before most other colonised nations. Compared to centuries of Ottoman rule, the British involvement in Iraq was relatively - relatively - benign. Imperialism is wrong, but it was the dominant paradigm in international affairs for thousands of years. Iraq, if anything, represnets a forerunner of its ending.

As regards 1941, well, in the climate of that time a faction in Iraq tried to change its allegiance to a power with which Britain was at war, in an existential struggle. The pictures of that uprising's leader, Rashid Ali, with Adolf Hitler say much about the dynamics at play.

Whoa!
Please post a link, any link, that backs up your claim that the 1920 war in Iraq was not fought by the locals teaming up in an attempt to oust the British colonisers. You state the conflict was "North against Southern tribes, with the British reimposing order...,". That's simply incorrect.
What are you saying, that Britsh troops were peacekeepers? That's plain silly.
No comment on how the Britsh responded when the Kurds wanted independence too? Was the British response to the Kurds more 'peace keeping'?
King Faisal ?? Not a puppet but an "ally"?
Faisal was not even Iraqi, he had already been King of Syria before being thrown out of there and exiled to the UK. Then only months later he is anointed by the British and plopped into Iraq as their king. Most of the country had never heard of him. He brings with him his fellow deposed Syrians as cabinet ministers and most of the rest of his government are old Ottoman bureaucrats.
A government set up to fail and fail it did.
Any wonder once he was gone the anti British sentiment was so pervasive that once WW2 began, the Iraqis courted the Nazis.
What a tale of woe.
Stuffed up borders that no one inside the country ever wanted. Whenever they rise up for their freedom they are put down by force of arms. Install a foreigner as king who is only there to support colonial interests....and now we wonder why the place fell into a cesspit of despotic coup after coup.
Iraq is a bad idea that is only held together by force.
Read the same for Syria.
The factions that have held power in both Iraq & Syria since independence have been some of the cruellest and most despotic regimes imaginable. So by no means am I on some "it's all the West's doing" rant.
I'm only hoping to put some perspective.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:47 pm

To be clear, the British acted in line with their interests,. Nations always do, and all nations did so especially assertively in those days. The link below gives a pretty unbiased summary of events. You are certainly correct that the nationalist uprising of 1920 was general, but the northern and southern tribes were not aligned, and would not cooperate with each other. The one book I read on this was called And God Made Hell. I do not have it now (it died with a kindle about three years ago) but my memory of it is that the fighting started against the British but soon became three-way as the Southerners started to fight the northerners, and the country descended into anarchy.

http://countrystudies.us/iraq/19.htm

Faisal was indeed "thrown out of Syria" - not by the Arab people of Syria, but by the French after he had led a revolt against them. So he was hardly a puppet. And you write as though syria and Iraq were established political entities, where in reality they were largely Western constructs on a map built from Sykes-Picot and the Cairo conference. No Arab at that time thought in terms of Syria vs Iraq, and as I recall my reading, Faisal was the preeminent Pan-Arab nationalist of the time. He was a credible leader of Iraq, and in many ways he did a great deal of good in building education and civil infrastructure as Iraq transitioned to independence in 1932.

Now, of course the British did not act as a UN peacekeeping force. Nobody did, in those days, amd there are plenty of atrocity stories about British reprisals ("punitive raids") against local populations as the British were attacked and sought to regain control of a chaotic and anarchic situation. TE "Lawrence of Arabia" is not seen as reliable history nowadays, but he was famously crtitical of the ways in which he felt the Arabs were betrayed by Britain in 1919-20.

The ultimate point , to me, is that Iraq's nightmare is not primarily a result of Western interference, with the notable exception of the Second Iraq War. That tragic and stupid enterprise was conducted without sufficient awareness of the very story that we are discussing here. History is always an ingredient, and it flavours the pie. But the bulk of the nightmare is rooted in events more recent than 1920. It is largely home grown as a result of the sectarianism that has always characterised the area, and the warlike and harsh inter-Arab tribal history, controlled through dictatorship. Islam itself, a political religion from the get-go, has played a large role. Anything which tells people that their politics comes from God, not from their rulers and their citizenship, tends to undermine political maturity.

Though your view of the meaning of the events is different to my understanding from the modest reading I have done on it, your knowledge of the period is rare, and quite possibly superior to mine. So i am open to revising my view of it, if you have references for me to read.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Quote:
The three step plan to crush ISIS: Former military chief LORD WEST reveals how to rid the Middle East of the terror group now threatening to bring chaos to the world

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328768/The-three-steps-crushing-ISIS-Former-military-chief-LORD-WEST-rid-Middle-East-terror-group-threatening-bring-chaos-world.html#ixzz3sDYDiJxz

This appeared in my Facebook newsfeed so I thought that I would share it and see what others think about that. I apologise if this has been posted before, I haven't seen it scrolling through.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/11/21/isis-delenda-est-what-the-romans-knew-about-winning-a-war/
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:17 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Quote:
The three step plan to crush ISIS: Former military chief LORD WEST reveals how to rid the Middle East of the terror group now threatening to bring chaos to the world

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328768/The-three-steps-crushing-ISIS-Former-military-chief-LORD-WEST-rid-Middle-East-terror-group-threatening-bring-chaos-world.html#ixzz3sDYDiJxz

This appeared in my Facebook newsfeed so I thought that I would share it and see what others think about that. I apologise if this has been posted before, I haven't seen it scrolling through.

Thanks for sharing the link Smile

In a conventional war sense, Raqqa and Mosul are the two places that definitely need attention if you're going to defeat the group (whether that's Western forces, Arab forces or forces inside Syria and Iraq).

Although it doesn't address other issues such as funding from the Gulf states and Islamic sectarianism (and other issues not listed) which is essential in understanding how the group operates and why it thrives in the first place.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm

Wokko wrote:
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/11/21/isis-delenda-est-what-the-romans-knew-about-winning-a-war/

A serious question: What exactly was supposed to be gleaned from that evangelical homily?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Yeah, I think I need to see his strategy condensed into bullet points. At the moment, it seems to consist mostly of 1) work with, not against Russia (a point I reluctantly agree on, but one which is hardly novel); 2) lay wreaths at sites of terror attacks (huh?); and 3) Keep telling ourselves that we will win (...).
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

The Prototype wrote:
This appeared in my Facebook newsfeed so I thought that I would share it and see what others think about that.

It sounds like cunning and devastatingly simple plan, worthy of a quote...

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
Santayama 1905.

Wokko wrote:
Send in the Romans!
They spanked those Africans, watch them deal with those pesky Persians!

You crack me up! Laughing

If you want to know how the Romans performed in Syria, go no further than that famous Roman General Marcus Licinius Crassus!
It has some lessons to teach us...

Quote:
In 55 BC, Crassus was consul with Pompey, and a law was passed assigning the provinces of the two Hispanias and Syria to Pompey and Crassus respectively for five years.
Crassus received Syria as his province, which promised to be an inexhaustible source of wealth. Crassus attacked Parthia not only because of its great source of riches, but because of a desire to match the military victories of his two major rivals, Pompey the Great and Julius Caesar.
The king of Armenia, Artavazdes II, offered Crassus the aid of nearly forty thousand troops on the condition that Crassus invaded through Armenia so that the king could maintain the upkeep of his own troops' and a safer route for the Romans.
Crassus refused, and chose the more direct route by crossing the Euphrates. His legions were defeated at Carrhae (modern Harran in Turkey) in 53 BC by a numerically inferior Parthian force. Crassus' legions were mainly infantry men and were not prepared for the type of swift, cavalry-and-arrow attack that the Parthian troops were particularly adept at. The Parthians would get within shooting range, rain a barrage of arrows down upon Crassus's troops, turn, fall back, and charge forth with another attack.
Crassus refused his quaestor Gaius Cassius Longinus's plans to reconstitute the Roman battle line, and remained in the testudo formation thinking that the Parthians would eventually run out of arrows.
Subsequently Crassus' men, being near mutiny, demanded he parley with the Parthians, who had offered to meet with him. Crassus, finally agreed to meet the Parthian general; however, when Crassus mounted a horse to ride to the Parthian camp for a peace negotiation, instigating a sudden fight with the Parthians that left the Roman party dead, including Crassus. A story later emerged that, after Crassus' death, the Parthians poured molten gold into his mouth as a symbol of his thirst for wealth.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:11 pm

I didn't write it, I found it interesting. You can put your pitchforks away. Rolling Eyes
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:02 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/23/frankie-boyle-fallout-paris-psychopathic-autopilot

Quote:
It’s not an insult to the dead to wonder why France, a $2tn economy, couldn’t make a better offer to its disenfranchised youth than a bunch of sick bullies grooming them on the internet. It’s not apologism to try to understand why something happened.When Syria’s drought kicked in, 25% of the population became unemployed. The vast majority of the country’s livestock has died over the past decade. A lot of Isis are farmers with nowhere to go, their entire industry destroyed – you’d think they’d have more sympathy for journalists. Those who think radicalising a youngster has nothing to do with climate – have you seen Tatooine?

No one is saying climate change causes terrorism. Stop thinking that a global death cult is caused by one thing – it’s a complex situation involving several different countries and ideologies, not a rattling sound in your washing machine. Personally, I think that for all our blaming religion, there will be peace in the Middle East when the oil runs out. But knowing their luck, then somebody will invent a way of making fuel by mixing sand and falafel.

Maybe the west’s approach is right. After all, if you’ve got a massive fight in, say, a pub car park, the best way of solving it is clearly standing well back and randomly lobbing in fireworks. You can’t get rid of an ideology by destroying its leaders; you’d think if there’s anything “Christian” countries should know, it’s that. Europe has rejected the death penalty on moral grounds, and yet we relax this view when it comes to a group who want to be martyred. You can’t bomb ideas. If your kid shits on the carpet, you can’t stop them by bombing the person who invented shit – though it would tidy up ITV’s Saturday night schedule.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:27 pm

^ well, that certainly sets a new standard for wackiness, if nothing else !

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Some amusing analogies, though.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 pm

David wrote:

I couldn't get through it, he probably wrote it while high and thought it was all a work of genius. Maybe reading it high would improve the clunky humour attempts?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Jezza wrote:
Thanks for sharing the link Smile

In a conventional war sense, Raqqa and Mosul are the two places that definitely need attention if you're going to defeat the group (whether that's Western forces, Arab forces or forces inside Syria and Iraq).

Although it doesn't address other issues such as funding from the Gulf states and Islamic sectarianism (and other issues not listed) which is essential in understanding how the group operates and why it thrives in the first place.

No problem, I thought that it would be an interesting one to add to the discussion already.

It doesn't seem that any of the solutions being proposed by some in the media, or public eye have really addressed all the issues there, most have just looked at blowing up ISIS and left it at that and not any of the other issues.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:08 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

I couldn't get through it, he probably wrote it while high and thought it was all a work of genius. Maybe reading it high would improve the clunky humour attempts?

Hmm. I'll give it a try and let you know. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: