Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How should the world deal with ISIS?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do about ISIS?
Withdraw all Western forces and hope for the best
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deploy a large number of ground forces into Iraq and Syria to defeat them, then rebuild both countries
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Negotiate with ISIS to stop further attacks and expansion of the group
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow Middle Eastern countries and militia groups to deal with the problem
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It's too late! ISIS can't be stopped.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Containment from the air but no ground force invasion in Iraq and Syria (current policy)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other (please explain)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No Idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
It is their country. It is their war. it is their homes. It is their families. But someone else should do the fighting. Yer right.

This is what the word "coward" was invented for. If you can't call this behaviour cowardice, exactly what could you use the term for?

I dunno, keyboard warriors?

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:29 pm

One strategy that seems to be underutilized is supplying them with Booby trapped ammunition. Typically organisations like ISIS have to move around a lot so they usually they don’t always have complete control over the ammo they get nor do they usually have the skills to reliably manufacture it. It only needs to be simple stuff like dodgy primers in every third round, oval and bent cases even up to more sophisticated stuff like this.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/07/world/07atwar-exploding-ammunition.html
Cheap to do and who wants to be using a gun that might blow up and its only got to happen once or twice and slows them down.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:16 pm

^ Great idea, but why stop there? How about we send them booby-trapped exploding suicide vests? Er ...
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:30 pm

nah, we would have to import them from the middle east as they are the major supplier, low profit margins
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Syrian wives and mothers left behind condemn men who have fled the country, and ask: ‘Who will free us? Who will protect us?’ It is wrong to leave your country’

Syrian men fleeing their war-torn home country are being criticised by the women 'left behind' to live in squalor in refugee camps.

When questioned about their feelings regarding the large number of men who have fled Syria for Europe without their wives and children, these women do not mince their words.

One woman accuse them of abandoning Syria in a time of crisis, while others stop short of calling them cowards by saying it is 'haram' - forbidden under Islam - to leave their country.

The women, interviewed by American video journalist Bilal Abdul Kareem, all live in a refugee camp in Syria, having left their home cities and villages during the four-year civil war.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3263593/Syrian-wives-mothers-left-condemn-men-fled-country-ask-free-protect-wrong-leave-country.html

Yep, real courageous acts. Lets just run away and leave the women and children behind.

Then, to top it off, lets get to a new country without the wars and complain that you can't just pick up a new wife from the bloke you met down the mosque who has some spare daughters.

I agree with Tannin. If they're not prepared to fight for their own home if provided with weapons and appropriate training, why should anyone else do it for them?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Such shitty generalisations. Sad
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:39 pm

^

Would you run away and leave your wife and kid behind?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:09 pm

David wrote:
Such shitty generalisations. Sad

I know - really it's just a few whinging Syrian women and children left behind to survive as they can in a refugee camp - themselves and their daughters at risk of rape cause their men are gone ( this shouldn't be the case but it is) whilst their brave brave men have scampered off and once in safe surrounds many ( note not all) can do nothing except whine about the food and not having play-stations.

The men who have taken their women and their families with them are brave and more importantly decent human beings. The vast majority of migrants are able bodied young men unaccompanied - they may not want to fight fair enough can't imagine it would be something to look forward to - but they should have stayed and at least tried to help keep their mothers, sisters, brothers, children safe!!!

And when they that they left behind are not safe - they will wail and blame everyone else except themselves!!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 pm

^ I repeat my post above.

Stui, I have absolutely no idea how I'd act in such a situation. At the end of the day, everybody fleeing a war zone leaves someone behind, whether it's their elderly parents, brothers and sisters or even (in a small number of cases) their wife and kids. I don't feel I'm in a position to judge people in a life or death situation, and I think if anyone in this thread had a dose of empathy or humility they'd admit the same.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm

I'll pay that answer because only a dickhead would say absolutely No to my question.

There are are number of valid situations and circumstances where it's in the best interests of all for the man to leave the family behind.

However the particular point being discussed was the large number of able bodied men of an age to be able to fight in a combat situation, seemingly abandoning their loved ones and not taking the hypothetical opportunity to go back and fight given training and weapons.

For them, I agree with the description of coward. How many of the men in question actually fit that category is a different discussion as none of us know their motives. It's all a hypothetical.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Although I've used the word "coward", I suspect that it isn't as much pure cowardice as it is simple selfish bastardry. Why face danger and hardship to defend your home and family when you can just go to the west and have plenty of money?

(Whether or not you actually do make it to somewhere like France and do get plenty of money is another question, of course. But this caper of healthy young men sheltering in the west and expecting other people to risk their lives defending them has got balls on it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:27 pm

I don't think not wanting to fight makes someone a coward. It's all rather WW1 and white feathers, isn't it? It could well be that some refugees have decided that Syria has gone to hell in a hand basket (or maybe they're from an ethnic minority who never felt like they belonged anyway) and that it's better to wipe the slate clean and start afresh elsewhere.

I think the important thing to remember in all this is that these are all ordinary people. A few may be cowards, relatively speaking (personally, I reckon you need a fair bit or intestinal fortitude to make it through the refugee experience at all), a few may be exceptionally brave and the rest are probably somewhere in-between. Whatever the case, I wouldn't want to judge a single one of them unless I knew what they'd been through and what had led to them making the decision they did.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:30 pm

^ and what do you say to the women and children they have left behind in a war zone in a refugee camp?????????????????

It takes money to pay smugglers to get to Europe - how much say do you think the women had in how the money was used?

Last edited by Morrigu on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Weren't we talking about YOU sit back in lala land with your caffe latte David everything's rosy mate roll ? I'm confused!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ and what do you say to the women and children they have left behind in a war zone in a refugee camp?????????????????

Sorry my country is so small-minded that we couldn't accommodate you. Just stay where you are and wait to get to the front of the queue in a few centuries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: