Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How should the world deal with ISIS?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we do about ISIS?
Withdraw all Western forces and hope for the best
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Deploy a large number of ground forces into Iraq and Syria to defeat them, then rebuild both countries
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Negotiate with ISIS to stop further attacks and expansion of the group
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Allow Middle Eastern countries and militia groups to deal with the problem
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It's too late! ISIS can't be stopped.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Containment from the air but no ground force invasion in Iraq and Syria (current policy)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Other (please explain)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
No Idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:28 pm
Post subject: How should the world deal with ISIS?Reply with quote

I know we have a thread on ISIS as it is that's discussing what's going on in Syria and Iraq but this issue has gained heavy attention recently especially in light of the Paris attacks and everyone seems to have an opinion on what should be done to counter the threat that the group now poses.

This thread is primarily about posters discussing how the world (Western and Arab world) should deal with ISIS and finding a solution to defeat the group rather than about the latest news reports on the group's activities necessarily which is what the other thread is designed for but David and the mods can merge it if they feel that's the best option.

I've included a poll so anyone feel free to vote, and praise or criticise it along the way.

So what should we do?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Small groups of special forces to take out their leaders and whole command structure, either in person or by getting in place and calling down targeted laser guided air strikes.

Once the snake is headless then work with the other middle eastern countries in restoring order.

Apart from the special forces, the only ground troops we want in there are to provide support, not to fight a war.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Small groups of special forces to take out their leaders and whole command structure, either in person or by getting in place and calling down targeted laser guided air strikes.

Once the snake is headless then work with the other middle eastern countries in restoring order.

Apart from the special forces, the only ground troops we want in there are to provide support, not to fight a war.
It's the only way that will work. I do like Anonymous's work as well and at the moment Anonymous will do more damage than any bombs being dropped on so called targets.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 pm

For the purposes of spreading propaganda on the internet, Anonymous could be very effective in stopping ISIS in its tracks in this regard.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Went with Option 2
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Jezza wrote:
For the purposes of spreading propaganda on the internet, Anonymous could be very effective in stopping ISIS in its tracks in this regard.

There be a Chance Anonymous would Help ISIS

npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Jezza can we have an NFI option addded to the poll?
I wouldn't have a clue how to beat these pr!cks.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:50 pm

npalm wrote:
Jezza can we have an NFI option addded to the poll?
I wouldn't have a clue how to beat these pr!cks.

I can't edit the poll now sadly but maybe I should have added that option to the poll initially.

It's a complex issue so I'm going to admit the poll is rather simplistic but it might give us a rough idea of where people's attitudes lie when it comes to dealing with this issue.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Just check "other" for NFI
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

A very slim chance, it seems they are trying to take them down, getting all the info about them and who are members and where they are can help bring them down if they can get all that info and if that info is around.

This would be the only way to begin to know how we can stop them, and prevent them from hiding. Right now aside from a few known ones there are many out there we have no idea where they are or who.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:19 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

A very slim chance, it seems they are trying to take them down, getting all the info about them and who are members and where they are can help bring them down if they can get all that info and if that info is around.

This would be the only way to begin to know how we can stop them, and prevent them from hiding. Right now aside from a few known ones there are many out there we have no idea where they are or who.

Well Glad they are doing it. They are the Biggest Weapon that the Allies have vs ISIS

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:

i voted other because this is the one
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:30 pm

It's a tricky one, no doubt. Not quite sure there's a poll option for this, but I think the best response is to get some kind of agreement going between the US/EU/gulf state bloc and the Russian/Iranian bloc to negotiate a ceasefire between Assad and the rebels (ideally requiring some significant compromises on Assad's part), and then focus the energy on working with Assad's forces (perhaps backed by regional powers) to hit IS-held zones hard and stop the flow between Syria and Iraq, leaving IS isolated in Iraq where they can be more easily defeated by Saudi-led ground forces.

I honestly think sending American/EU ground forces in will be an unwinnable disaster, and act as a great advertisement for IS, too. I don't think there has to be a predominantly regional solution.

Last edited by David on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:32 pm

A very good question, Jezza, and one which certainly should be set apart from the other threads which inevitably putresce into unreadable and pointless word-swamps.

What is to be done?

That is the question. Really, it's the only question of immediacy.

Frankly, I don't know. You have a much better knowledge of and understanding of the situation on the ground than I do. Nevertheless, it seems to me that IS has bugger all in the way of actual resources. The resources they are strongest in are external assets which we allow them to draw on:

(a) Oil sales. All the oil in the world won't bring them a cracker if they can't get it to a market.

(b) Publicity. I am at a loss to understand the way we let them use Western-invented, Western-provided IT assets to spread their vile message of hate.

All-out military solutions seldom work. IS itself came about because the brainless Americans spent billions of dollars and thousands of lives on a military "solution" to the Iraq problem in the first place. With that said, I am not averse to military action on any scale if it can be shown to be useful and practical.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I have what I am sure many will think a stupid question (so no lambasting I warned ya)

Even if the world manages to eradicate them in the Middle East, will that stop daesh given they seem to have so many sleepers (and supporters) just waiting in it seems so many countries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: