Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our hierarchy of interest

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article in the Murdoch Press (OMG Shocked ) about the different reaction to the Paris attack than to Beirut a few days earlier.

http://www.news.com.au/national/criticism-of-worlds-focus-on-paris-after-terrorist-attack-at-the-expense-of-beirut/story-fncynjr2-1227610940061

I guess we're used to people doing this kind of stuff over there (beirut has had more bombs than a 1 direction album) so it just ain't news, whereas a terrorist attack in a Western city is.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Exactly what I said, David doesn't agree!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:56 pm

^ Yeah, but that's clearly not the only reason. I'm pretty sure Kiribati hasn't had too many terrorist attacks, but you can bet that an equivalent one over there wouldn't be front page news in Australia.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:05 pm

So what is the reason?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:07 pm

think positive wrote:
So what is the reason?

Us racist white cnuts care more about other racist white cnuts than we do about brown people. Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
So what is the reason?

Us racist white cnuts care more about other racist white cnuts than we do about brown people. Rolling Eyes

Hahaahahahahahaha

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Get rid of the female genitalia and (perhaps) 'racist' and that's more or less correct, I'd say.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 pm

correct as in your opinion.

I'll stick with what I said before. Wink

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Muslim attacks in Southern Thailand happen every other day and it doesn't get reported in Australia. A disgraced General was posted to Songhkla but resigned rather than put himself in harms way. Yet thousands of Aussies won't stop travelling to Phuket or Koh Samui. Australians want to travel to London. Paris, Rome New York. I can't say there are thousands of everyday people in Australia wanting to visit Bangladesh or Lebanon. Hell the Rohingas in Burma don't want to go "back" to Bangladesh despite sharing cultural and religious beliefs.

And Fox News is stirring the pot saying we they need to restore Guantanamo Bay to full strength.

Every irresponsible action has an equal irresponsible action.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:46 pm

There is another reason, of course, which is that the course of Western social policies tends to follow one another, and we have, across the West, allowed our politicians to compromise our societies - in so many ways - through large scale immigration of people from an Islamic background with radically different traditions and cultural assumptions, despite clear evidence that some meaningful proportion of them want to kill us, and a far, far greater proportion want to change our political system and alliances. Beirut has had its problem for centuries. We created - and we are still creating - ours today. That is one of the things that makes it so shocking, and makes Paris far more relevant to us than Beirut.

I should add that I do not deny your premise that people will always feel stronger empathy for those with whom they communicate most easily because they have the same terms of reference. The difference, perhaps, is that I think this is natural and inevitable, and denying that it should be so is a little like complaining about the sky being blue. I do not lack empathy for a Nigerian person abducted or killed by Boko Haram, and I would do anything reasonable to prevent it - but I find it nearly impossible to understand their experience as I can the experience of people who live in Paris.

In that regard, increasing the points of contact between our Islamic citizens and our non-Islamic citizens should certainly be a major goal of our present social policy.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Our hierarchy of interestReply with quote

David wrote:
A lot of us have been emotionally affected by the events in Paris yesterday.

Speak for yourself. The most stupid thing you can do with events like this is allow yourself to become emotional. Of course, if you have just lost, say, a child, then you can't help it. But for anyone not directly affected, getting emotional is the very worst possible response.

Stay calm, stay rational, think it through. Act only for good reason and after careful study of the consequences. In other words, do the exact opposite of what the stupid Americans did in 2001, and be aware that if the Americans (and much of the rest of the world) hadn't been so stupid and emotional in and after 2001, this sad event and the awful events in the Middle-east which led to it almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

(Insert senseless rage here by way of response from various not-very-bright people who will insist on pretending that I just said that the Americans did this and am trying to shift the blame away from the evil men who pulled the triggers. Sadly, this response to a calm, rational view is as inevitable as it is emotional as it is counterproductive.)

At this early time, the French people seem to be responding far, far better than the Americans did. So far so good. Insofar as it is possible to respond to events like this sensibly, they have a better chance of doing so than most of us.

I am not averse to taking action, including if it seems necessary, strong action up to and including unrestricted warfare, but only when a calm, rational, dispassionate analysis shows that it offers the best chance of a successful conclusion. That careful thought cannot and will not happen in a climate of high emotion.

Some things in life are too important to get emotional about.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Which things in particular?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 pm
Post subject: Re: Our hierarchy of interestReply with quote

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
A lot of us have been emotionally affected by the events in Paris yesterday.

Speak for yourself. The most stupid thing you can do with events like this is allow yourself to become emotional. Of course, if you have just lost, say, a child, then you can't help it. But for anyone not directly affected, getting emotional is the very worst possible response.

Stay calm, stay rational, think it through. Act only for good reason and after careful study of the consequences. In other words, do the exact opposite of what the stupid Americans did in 2001, and be aware that if the Americans (and much of the rest of the world) hadn't been so stupid and emotional in and after 2001, this sad event and the awful events in the Middle-east which led to it almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

(Insert senseless rage here by way of response from various not-very-bright people who will insist on pretending that I just said that the Americans did this and am trying to shift the blame away from the evil men who pulled the triggers. Sadly, this response to a calm, rational view is as inevitable as it is emotional as it is counterproductive.)

At this early time, the French people seem to be responding far, far better than the Americans did. So far so good. Insofar as it is possible to respond to events like this sensibly, they have a better chance of doing so than most of us.

I am not averse to taking action, including if it seems necessary, strong action up to and including unrestricted warfare, but only when a calm, rational, dispassionate analysis shows that it offers the best chance of a successful conclusion. That careful thought cannot and will not happen in a climate of high emotion.

Some things in life are too important to get emotional about.

Did you is the bit about the 20 bombs they dropped today! Hardly taking their time!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Which things in particular?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Yeah but the bombs were targeted. They didn't just nuke the whole area, they sent a message,

That would only be the obvious bit of what they've done, as much for PR as anything else, their real reaction will be less overt and public and more deadly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: