Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Body hair on women is "liberating" apparently.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ no it is not highly unusual in Australia at all - a rather large obstetric hospital is part of my work place - highly unusual to be reported or prosecuted yes!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:35 pm

What sort of prevalence are we talking here? 100 cases a year?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:59 pm

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
^Unless there's plainly some Norsca-based oppression going on, someone has to demonstrate that this is actually an "ill" beyond any other mundane thing we do in life because it works okay in context.

I for one am not lamenting that I don't toil in the fields, have parasite-infested hair and wear deer skin; deodorant for crowded elevators, passenger vehicles and confined spaces seems like a small price to pay.

Of course, throwing in the adjective "obsessive" makes everything in any culture an ill! IMO you're confusing spending 20 seconds applying a ubiquitous product to your armpits with somethinganythingthat matters in our context.

I think it's easy for us blokes to shrug this off as irrelevant - what does society expect us to do, really? OK, shaving is a pain in the arse (not literally!), but generally speaking we only have to spend a small amount of time on personal grooming in order to pass the base level of social acceptability. So what's two seconds of putting deodorant on? Sure, in that context, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

But for most women, it's a small part of a much wider phenomenon; of regular time and effort required to transition from their natural appearance into their socially demanded roles (in some cases, the whole performance of makeup, nails etc. is actually literally demanded by their employers). That might be fun for some women, and others may have the self-confidence and political bent to not give a stuff. But for the rest it's a sacrifice of time and money that could be spent in other ways - a kind of 'female tax', I guess you could say. That makes this a more serious issue of gender equality than some might think.

It's kind of like wearing a burqa - many women may be happy and relaxed while wearing it, but what are the consequences when they want to take it off? That is the true measure of oppression, I feel.

On this issue, I'm fully on side with the radical feminists.

Deodorant is mundane in our culture. I agree with everything else you mention on control of the body of as an extension of an authoritarian control which is frequently sexist, but there's no need to start chasing these things to such inaccurate resolutions.

The dislike of BO in one's space is universal in our culture, even if that dislike is overridden by some other form of discrimination (e.g., tolerating BO on a white sportsman but not women or people of colour). Heck, we even tolerate BO without judgement when it comes to the weakest members of our society, such as kids (only a mother could love 'em!), the elderly (mothballs and old people's smell!), and the disabled. The main victim of targeted discrimination in this category are perhaps immigrants who are yet to adjust to the local cultural expectations.

Turning the mundane for otherwise able men and women into the controversial is the stuff of fundamentalist religion. The serious things such as the double shift, lack of maternity leave and childcare support, bullying of single mothers, and serious body colonisation (rape, harrassment, discrimination, ostracism, etc.) need all the focus they can get without feminism being turned into hills cult with deodorant laws.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Fundamentalist time wasters occur in any ideological/political/religious context. The decision to idealise only major problems and to not over-catalogue the trivial is a matter of psychological wellbeing and general wisdom: The more you try to define social phenomena, the less accurate you get and the more you start losing the original concern.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:47 am

pietillidie wrote:
Fundamentalist time wasters occur in any ideological/political/religious context. The decision to idealise only major problems and to not over-catalogue the trivial is a matter of psychological wellbeing and general wisdom: The more you try to define social phenomena, the less accurate you get and the more you start losing the original concern.

- uh huh, the original concern like whether or not women feel pressured to shave their pits and pins!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: