Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Soldiers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:50 am
Post subject: SoldiersReply with quote

<split from 'Muslims doing bad things' thread>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/jensen-rescuing-martyrdom-from-suicide-bombers/6918436

hmm, this part

now, the confusion between "laying down your life" and killing others is not new, nor is it always associated with religion. I think Jesus would have been horrified to find his words used on the Commonwealth War Graves, as they were. Soldiers have their bloody work to do, and deserve honour and thanks. But to die with a rifle in your hand is not to die a martyr's death.

i guess it depends whether you think soldiers are acting in self defense, or defense of others/country, or being the aggressor? even so, in my mind they are still fighting selflessly on someone else's behalf?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think of soldiers as pawns in the hands of politicians. Many are brave, some are braver than I could ever imagine being. But that doesn't make what they're asked to do, or what army training turns them into, right. Soldiers are trained to be both aggressors and defenders; there's no fundamental difference there.

By the way, when you say 'soldiers', are you just talking about Australian/American/British soldiers? Or do you also think Nazi German and Islamic militant soldiers were also selfless and virtuous?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 pm

David wrote:
I tend to think of soldiers as pawns in the hands of politicians. Many are brave, some are braver than I could ever imagine being. But that doesn't make what they're asked to do, or what army training turns them into, right. Soldiers are trained to be both aggressors and defenders; there's no fundamental difference there.

By the way, when you say 'soldiers', are you just talking about Australian/American/British soldiers? Or do you also think Nazi German and Islamic militant soldiers were also selfless and virtuous?

well that depends on the war they were fighting!

im guessing a lot of nazi soldiers were to scared to say no. invading other countries for greed, or defending your soil, or someone elses? good question.

the isis soldiers are brain washed fools.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm

When you say Nazi soldiers there really needs to be a division made between the Wehrmacht and SS. While there is certainly honor and chivalry in both branches, the majority of blatant war crimes were committed by the SS. Historians have pointed out that the Wehrmacht adhered better to the rules of war than the Imperial German Army of 1914-1918. As David said however, they were bound to follow the dictates of an immoral regime; as ever a soldier's job is to enforce the policies of civilian Governemnt, not make them.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Do you think I should do it differently?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:44 pm

David wrote:

On the subject of “makin’ mock ‘o uniforms that guard you while you sleep”….

There are several ways to look at soldiers – what is their moral character as an individual ; what is the value of the cause for which they are fighting ; and how is war conducted by the army of which they are part.

In the first case, there is nothing to say unless you know them personally. In the second, if they serve in the Australian Army then we must judge their actions against the legitimacy we grant the Australian parliament that directs their operations. For me, as a loyal Australian citizen with Australian values who relies on the country for protection, that means a very strong presumption of right. Thirdly, though I have limited exposure to it, I do know that a significant part of military training in "civilised" (used with slight irony, but not much) armies involves teaching young men how to respect and manage moral boundaries under the severest stress.

The preparedness to march toward the sound of the guns involves extraordinary courage ; but the self-restraint to abjure atrocity against a brutal enemy requires another kind of moral courage ; one that few of us can be certain we have, until it is tested.

The Taliban and Nazi soldiers failed two of my tests – their cause was illegitimate, as are/were their methods in too many cases. I agree with Wokko about the Wehrmacht/SS distinction. The Wehrmacht, trained in the Von Moltke tradition, was probably no worse than the Allied armies in WW2, and better than the Russian army in its dealings with civilian populations.

Australian soldiers represent a nation which fights, when it must, with courage, efficiency, restraint and values on our behalf. Until that ceases to be the case, the Australian soldier, at least in the abstract, deserves our support and admiration.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Bravo
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Mugwump wrote:
 In the second, if they serve in the Australian Army then we must judge their actions against the legitimacy we grant the Australian parliament that directs their operations. For me, as a loyal Australian citizen with Australian values who relies on the country for protection, that means a very strong presumption of right.

Do we ever really have a need to fall back on such blind faith? The case for or against military conflict is often complex, no doubt, but we usually (if not always) have enough information, common sense and access to public debate to take an educated position on it. My loyalty to Australia certainly does not extend to defending injustice or sitting on the fence if a conflict arises. Indeed, I consider it my democratic duty to criticise, and, when necessary, dissent.

Gotta say, I can't think of a single example where I'd be willing to just give the government of the day "the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to a given military adventure.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
 In the second, if they serve in the Australian Army then we must judge their actions against the legitimacy we grant the Australian parliament that directs their operations. For me, as a loyal Australian citizen with Australian values who relies on the country for protection, that means a very strong presumption of right.

Do we ever really have a need to fall back on such blind faith? The case for or against military conflict is often complex, no doubt, but we usually (if not always) have enough information, common sense and access to public debate to take an educated position on it. My loyalty to Australia certainly does not extend to defending injustice or sitting on the fence if a conflict arises. Indeed, I consider it my democratic duty to criticise, and, when necessary, dissent.

Gotta say, I can't think of a single example where I'd be willing to just give the government of the day "the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to a given military adventure.

It's completely legitimate to critique any given government’s decision to deploy Australian arms, but I think that is different to the original premise that volunteer soldiering is intrinsically a dubious act. I would say that it is not, if certain tests are met as to the army you join and the nation you represent.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 am

If you were signing up to the Australian Army, how confident could you be that the next foreign assignment you were going to be involved in was justifiable and not ethically dubious? Given our country's track record, you could just about toss a coin.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:25 pm

^

That's not your decision, you can't be sure. A Soldiers job is to follow orders, not question. There's an element of trust involved that people in possession of more information than you have made a valid decision.

The same principle applies to different degrees in most businesses.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

David wrote:
If you were signing up to the Australian Army, how confident could you be that the next foreign assignment you were going to be involved in was justifiable and not ethically dubious? Given our country's track record, you could just about toss a coin.

Just about everything we do is ethically dubious, David ; buying a posh coffee or having a restaurant meal when people are starving is ethically dubious. Statecraft involves irreconcilable ethical dilemmas in an immensely complex terrain. So I think the responsible course is to democratically debate the values you wish to represent as a nation, and then to pursue those values by unashamedly defending and advancing your interests. You can be sure that those with lesser values (hello ISIS, hello Vladimir) will do that to the detriment of humanity if we do not oppose them. I think we delude ourselves if we think we can somehow enact Platonic ideals in statecraft.

The Australian army supports a democratic nation with strong institutions and a history of promoting freedom. We'll make mistakes, but they are typically mistakes of idealism, rather than cynicism. On that basis, it's a better army than most, and its soldiers should be celebrated.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:08 am

I would frame it this way: Military roles are roles of social trust. Those in the military sign on to an extremely authoritarian, psychologically stressful, and physically deadly agreement as a matter of social necessity at our behest. In this negotiation, trust is first passed to the military as an organisation, and in turn to us through our representatives, and our individual political and social capabilities of influence.

The failure to stop self-serving, negligent fools like Bush, Blair and Howard abusing that social exchange is our failure. The trust has been handed over to us as the final guardians of social decency and beneficiaries of what is a very unique social pact. Allowing hawkish lunatics and money-grabbing parasites to abuse that pact, or to treat it contemptuously, is every bit our own shame and disgrace.

Lest we forget.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:59 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

Just about everything we do is ethically dubious, David ; buying a posh coffee or having a restaurant meal when people are starving is ethically dubious. Statecraft involves irreconcilable ethical dilemmas in an immensely complex terrain. So I think the responsible course is to democratically debate the values you wish to represent as a nation, and then to pursue those values by unashamedly defending and advancing your interests. You can be sure that those with lesser values (hello ISIS, hello Vladimir) will do that to the detriment of humanity if we do not oppose them. I think we delude ourselves if we think we can somehow enact Platonic ideals in statecraft.

The Australian army supports a democratic nation with strong institutions and a history of promoting freedom. We'll make mistakes, but they are typically mistakes of idealism, rather than cynicism. On that basis, it's a better army than most, and its soldiers should be celebrated.

Hear hear.

And today of all days, put differences aside; shake hands, as the soldiers on the front line did on Christmas Eve, the fighting can wait another day. Give thanks to those who fell for us, who gave the ultimate sacrifice (the poppy) and to those who did come home but with debilitating injury, whether to their body, their heart, their soul (the rose).....

Remove your cap, bow down your heads lads, and give thanks....

Lest we forget...

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 am

^ yes indeed, TP. Too many days never lived, too many days lived but with broken hearts. I fear they will not be the last, but let's hope so. No more wars unless we must.

Lest we forget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: