Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do you feel about the police?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about the police?
$#@% tha po-lice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't like what they stand for, but have no problem with them individually.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They're a necessary evil.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They're just ordinary people doing a job that needs to be done.
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
They're great. Melbourne's finest!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
I have no particular feelings towards them either way.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to over-glorify or under-glorify here. People do stuff for a whole host of motives simultaneously.

It's much better to focus on things at the larger institutional level, rather than down at the individual level. If the bigger direction is right, the individual variation doesn't matter quite so much. There's no need to personalise these topics IMO—we all end up in different places for a host of reasons, from our religious affiliations to our jobs.

I think it really does require us to spell out exactly where we're placing criticisms each and every time: One incident, one individual, one group, an institutional policy, etc. This applies as much to farmers, Islam, Catholic priests, the police, businesses, the wealthy elite (my favourite whipping boys), teachers, unions or the Salvos.

However, there are two clear exceptions to this: It is still acceptable to say that all politicians and all non-CFC fans and club personnel are scum Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:41 am

David wrote:
^ Do you think I'd have the right to mock people's educational standards if I had a degree? I think the more relevant point is that mocking people's educational standards is wrong whatever your own achievements are.

My 17 year old brother wants to join the army. Every time I catch up with him, I'm impressed by his maturity and willingness to thoughtfully consider other people's opinions and think outside the square. And yet I also know that he's a 17 year old boy and that he happens to love shoot-'em-up video games. Do you seriously think that guns aren't at least one motivating factor in him wanting to join the army? Let's get serious here.

You can respect and admire the work that police officers and soldiers do, but that doesn't mean that you should put them on a pedestal. They're not saints. They're just human beings with a range of motivations like you or me.

The reason I started this thread was actually less about trying to resolve whether police officers are good or bad people – although we did drift down that track a little – and more how we, ordinary Australian citizens, respond to figures of authority. I'm self-aware enough not to confuse my own discomfort with authority with my views on the question of whether or not authority is wrong. As it happens, I think we do need authority figures in certain contexts and that an important part of functioning in society is learning how to accept that (while also remaining vigilant in case authorities over-step the mark). So there's actually a lot more self-criticism going on here than you might realise.

i don't put them on pedestals, there is a difference between awe and respect. I'm sure there is bad cops, I'm also sure there is not a high percentage of them. As for overstepping their authority, I always wonder about those claims, from the point of what did your behaviour do to provoke that?

Unless you think your brother would turn into a serial killer because of his love for video games, I think the connection is bullshit. My daughter and her boyfriend play those awful things too, and they are the gentlest souls going around.

The view you put out there is dangerous and should not be encouraged. And yeah I know it's a little footy forum, and yet I've been told my view is dangerous! The world you want to live in does not and cannot exist. There would be complete anarchy. Because dammit, people are not that nice. And expecting a government to just cough up for every whim just is not possible unless they are printing money, because too many people would sit on their arse and do nothing!

Like I said, you wanted to provoke a reaction with your poll. You got one.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:43 am

pietillidie wrote:
There's no need to over-glorify or under-glorify here. People do stuff for a whole host of motives simultaneously.

It's much better to focus on things at the larger institutional level, rather than down at the individual level. If the bigger direction is right, the individual variation doesn't matter quite so much. There's no need to personalise these topics IMO—we all end up in different places for a host of reasons, from our religious affiliations to our jobs.

I think it really does require us to spell out exactly where we're placing criticisms each and every time: One incident, one individual, one group, an institutional policy, etc. This applies as much to farmers, Islam, Catholic priests, the police, businesses, the wealthy elite (my favourite whipping boys), teachers, unions or the Salvos.

However, there are two clear exceptions to this: It is still acceptable to say that all politicians and all non-CFC fans and club personnel are scum Razz

Strange, I totally agree.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 am

I respect them, but that wasn't an option. Strange poll choices, first 3 options are negative, 2 other options are a bit "meh" and one's over the top positive.

I got half way through becoming a cop then realised I didn't want to deal with doom & gloom day in day out. Think about it, no one calls the police when something good happens.

If I get pulled over it's because I'm in the wrong. Fair enough, I cop it on the chin (hasn't been for a few years now thankfully). I'm not happy to be pulled over & given a ticket, but I'm not going to take it out on the officer, they weren't pushing my foot on the accelerator! Then I watch shows like Highway Patrol - the police sometimes deserve a medal!! Some people are so rude, speak so disgustingly to them I'd want to punch them in the face! I think all police officers should be paid more and respected a hell of a lot more. They're not "just ordinary people", ordinary people don't risk getting shot every day, or show up to work every day after dealing with things they have to deal with. I'm grateful to them.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 am

luvdids wrote:
I respect them, but that wasn't an option. Strange poll choices, first 3 options are negative, 2 other options are a bit "meh" and one's over the top positive.

I got half way through becoming a cop then realised I didn't want to deal with doom & gloom day in day out. Think about it, no one calls the police when something good happens.

If I get pulled over it's because I'm in the wrong. Fair enough, I cop it on the chin (hasn't been for a few years now thankfully). I'm not happy to be pulled over & given a ticket, but I'm not going to take it out on the officer, they weren't pushing my foot on the accelerator! Then I watch shows like Highway Patrol - the police sometimes deserve a medal!! Some people are so rude, speak so disgustingly to them I'd want to punch them in the face! I think all police officers should be paid more and respected a hell of a lot more. They're not "just ordinary people", ordinary people don't risk getting shot every day, or show up to work every day after dealing with things they have to deal with. I'm grateful to them.

IN A NUTSHELL, BRILLIANT POST.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:02 pm

think positive wrote:
Unless you think your brother would turn into a serial killer because of his love for video games, I think the connection is bullshit. My daughter and her boyfriend play those awful things too, and they are the gentlest souls going around.

I've always hated when people have tried to link video games, movies and television shows to violence, and the likes. While a small percentage of people may in fact follow on from them more of often than not it's not the case. I spent half my childhood watching violent movies, and shows most of my adulthood playing violent videogames and reading crime mags and stuff I've never had the urge to go out copy them.

I think the only time anyone I've known has copied anything was when the Power Rangers were all the rage. I've found more people interested in talking about their videogames than actually ever wanting to imitate.

An interesting study has been the study of serial killer brains, and non-serial killer brains to find out whether they're born serial killers, became serial killers via their surroundings, etc. Most have become such because they've been in and around violent homes. There seems to be in most cases part of the brainwaves that are different in killers, than non-killers in most test cases they've done.

Some people are just psychopaths because they've got something wrong in their head through no fault of anyone, but I think it's easier blaming music, movies, tv, and games for the creation of these people rather than facing facts that some people are that way because they are.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:10 pm

The Prototype wrote:
think positive wrote:

I've always hated when people have tried to link video games, movies and television shows to violence, and the likes. While a small percentage of people may in fact follow on from them more of often than not it's not the case. I spent half my childhood watching violent movies, and shows most of my adulthood playing violent videogames and reading crime mags and stuff I've never had the urge to go out copy them.

I think the only time anyone I've known has copied anything was when the Power Rangers were all the rage. I've found more people interested in talking about their videogames than actually ever wanting to imitate.

An interesting study has been the study of serial killer brains, and non-serial killer brains to find out whether they're born serial killers, became serial killers via their surroundings, etc. Most have become such because they've been in and around violent homes. There seems to be in most cases part of the brainwaves that are different in killers, than non-killers in most test cases they've done.

Some people are just psychopaths because they've got something wrong in their head through no fault of anyone, but I think it's easier blaming music, movies, tv, and games for the creation of these people rather than facing facts that some people are that way because they are.

good post proto

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:55 pm

My experiences have been mixed. Interactions since I've been in Melbourne have generally been positive. In Bendigo, not so much, with my general impression there being the local rozzers were boofheads with a sense of entitlement. As an example, first year of teaching at uni I had a student with severe mental illnesses and a drug addiction that got locked up in the local psych ward following an armed hold up. 10.30 on a saturday night I got a call from her saying that she had escaped from the ward after being attacked by another patient and could I come and pick her up and drive her to melbourne or drop her on the highway so she could hitch. I picked her up and convinced her to let me take her into the local police station and hand herself in. Drove into the station at Pall Mall with her and walked her in, started explaining the situation and the desk sergeant's first question was 'what? are you phucking her or something?'. Absolutely charming...That was generally the tone I struck whenever I dealt with them there. Maybe it's a regional thing as the Maryborough police had a pretty shitty reputation as well. Used to deal with them on a weekly basis in the pizza shop as well and while many were good to deal with there were more than a few arseholes amongst them as well. Pretty much like most areas in life I guess.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:00 pm

In very simple terms, the vast majority (over 95%) of the Police I have dealt/coped/worked with have been decent and responsible people doing their job competently. Three or four have been bloody arrogant, vicious, angry, abusive (even racist/bigoted) arseholes who I never want to meet again in my life. They would abuse their own mothers and how they ever got or kept their job as a policeman has been a real mystery to me for many years. Shocked Shocked
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:10 pm

nomadjack wrote:
My experiences have been mixed. Interactions since I've been in Melbourne have generally been positive. In Bendigo, not so much, with my general impression there being the local rozzers were boofheads with a sense of entitlement. As an example, first year of teaching at uni I had a student with severe mental illnesses and a drug addiction that got locked up in the local psych ward following an armed hold up. 10.30 on a saturday night I got a call from her saying that she had escaped from the ward after being attacked by another patient and could I come and pick her up and drive her to melbourne or drop her on the highway so she could hitch. I picked her up and convinced her to let me take her into the local police station and hand herself in. Drove into the station at Pall Mall with her and walked her in, started explaining the situation and the desk sergeant's first question was 'what? are you phucking her or something?'. Absolutely charming...That was generally the tone I struck whenever I dealt with them there. Maybe it's a regional thing as the Maryborough police had a pretty shitty reputation as well. Used to deal with them on a weekly basis in the pizza shop as well and while many were good to deal with there were more than a few arseholes amongst them as well. Pretty much like most areas in life I guess.

Yes, you are right about both Bendigo and Maryborough. Also there used to be a real arsehole at Malmsbury who used to sit on a deck chair catching people coming down a steep hill into and out of town doing 62 kms in a 60 zone. Thankfully building the CalderHwy bypass fixed this clown right up. Twisted Evil

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 pm

luvdids wrote:

Yeah well we all know about David and Polls Razz

Quote:

Good stuff, no arguments.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:49 pm

As I said in my earlier post, it seems Victoria Police don't have very good selection criteria. Too many bozos and arseholes make it through. Yes the majority do a great job considering what they have to work with; the general population.

I was beginning to think I'd been too tough and then I got to thinking of my younger days in the 70s and 80s. The police were quite corrupt, more so than now and there was no ombudsman or complaints mechanism back then; they were a law unto themselves.

Yesterday I called the Northcote Police to report a traffic hazard; a tree had fallen on Heidelberg Rd Clifton Hill, blocking both lanes. Two police officers spoke to me to get the details. Neither had what I would call good people skills. They took the details and passed the info to the appropriate services. In these situations we rely upon our police to keep us safe. They did the job.

Today I read an article by Melbourne writer Barry Dickens. It brought back the bad memories. Apparently this article was printed in The Age and then deleted after senior police complained.

Here is a link to the article. It should be widely read.

http://www.julianburnside.com.au/whatsinside/uploads/2015/11/Dickins.pdf

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Interesting article, and also interesting comment about the 70's and 80's.

I grew up in the NSW bush. The local cops would often call into mums milk bar for some lunch and eat out the back in the kitchen. I got along really well with them.

As I got older into teenage years i saw some examples of what i'd call favouritism as they had some people pegged in some boxes and some in others. Not that I bothered too much, I was in the good box. Very Happy

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:18 am

Crazy stuff, Neil. Hard to believe such a thing could happen.

By the way, I was talking to a police officer last night at work - a woman had been hit by a car and he was looking for witnesses - and he came across as respectful, friendly and not at all arrogant. Hard to extrapolate a lot from a short conversation, of course, but it seems like the force is attracting some decent people after all.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:13 pm

How do I feel about the Police?

Well, I reckon Sting can sing a bit, Andy Summers is a pretty good guitarist and that Stewart Copeland guy goes ok on the drums (plus he has a good Collingwood related name).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: