Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do you feel about the police?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about the police?
$#@% tha po-lice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't like what they stand for, but have no problem with them individually.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They're a necessary evil.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
They're just ordinary people doing a job that needs to be done.
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
They're great. Melbourne's finest!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
I have no particular feelings towards them either way.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
though perhaps you could say that I associate police with boofhead-esque qualities.

Hmmm that sounds a bit like say - associating all Muslims with intolerant violent-esque qualities ..........

Surely you can't be saying that you lump the exteremely diverse group that make up our Police force into one homogenous unit with a shared common profile and motivation can you???

Just saying Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:00 pm

^ Do you think certain groups/cultures can have shared qualities? Obviously there's a wide range of individuals within each culture, but I guess it's all about where the average lies.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Maybe also have a think about how you behave when you encounter Police. Think about how you look/behave from their perspective.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 pm

That'd be good advice if I was having negative experiences with them on a regular basis, but that's not really the case as I said before, I've probably only talked to a police officer about 5 times in my entire life, and I don't remember any of those interactions being negative. So, whatever intuitive reactions I have to the police is probably more about the idea of the police than any actual bad track record with them.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:29 pm

David, can I offer a small helpful hint? Try covering up your tats, leave the Harley at home, skip the al-Qaeda flag t-shirt, and don't wear the leathers. You may find it makes a difference.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 pm

All good advice, but letting the al-Qaeda flag go is going to be hard. I'll feel naked without it!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:23 pm

David wrote:
You're right, there's probably a wide range of motivations. I wonder how many really want to serve the community, though? There are many ways to help other people or the community at large, so what draws them to the police force in particular?

It doesn't really matter in the end, because someone's gotta do it. Again, like joining the army - if we didn't have people in our community who like the idea of playing with guns then we'd probably have a pretty small defence force. But motivation and character do play a large role in shaping a culture. I don't know where I'm going with this, it's just something that's run through my mind in the past.

WTF! How fricken dare you!

Like playing with guns? Is that why you think people join the armed forces? And I the only one who can see you looking down on people? What have you done in your life that gives you the right to be so derogatory when talking about the people who would put their life on the line to save you, whether you deserve it or not?

Man you need a reality check

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Chill Jo, I think you're reading meaning where it doesn't exist. You wouldn't be the first and I doubt you'll be the last. Wink
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 pm

David wrote:
That'd be good advice if I was having negative experiences with them on a regular basis, but that's not really the case as I said before, I've probably only talked to a police officer about 5 times in my entire life, and I don't remember any of those interactions being negative. So, whatever intuitive reactions I have to the police is probably more about the idea of the police than any actual bad track record with them.

Well that's your prejudice based on zip zilch nada except your perception and almost non existent experience!

And yet you berate anyone who expresses any such prejudice against other " groups" - sorry but IMO that is hypocritical big time!!!

There are a great many options for people joining the forces with regard to speciality - there are four serving police officers in my law class - there are social workers, nurses, doctors, teachers and scientists who have joined with the desire to do something positive for the community.

Yep bound to be a few " boof heads" - fair few boof heads in the clinical health sector too just quietly.

And yep some turn out to be in the wrong job for their personality and some get turned - sorta hard to deal with the pond scum they deal with day to day and watch the Courts let em walk and see them thumbing their noses in their mansions and ferraris!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:06 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Many/most people join the Police out of desire to serve the community, to do good, not because they have authoritarian fetishes.

Don't quote me on this until I check it, but I'm pretty sure authoritarian traits are significantly higher for police officers than for the general population. But, even if that proves true, I don't think it's a problem given the role. Also, you can be somewhat authoritarian and care about the community; they're not mutually exclusive.

The most important things in terms of unchecked authority are (a) the strength of the independent umpire, and (b) the nexus between the state and the police, and corporations and the state. Many US states are obviously a shambolic embarrassment on this front, but all organisations of that size will be giant sinks of self-sustaining power, not just the police.

On the absolutely abominable and idiotic militarised US-style uniforms, no doubt there are corrupt corporate-state deals behind them; there's stacks of money in selling useless, over-priced gear to states, and drumming up fear and crime accordingly.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Chill Jo, I think you're reading meaning where it doesn't exist. You wouldn't be the first and I doubt you'll be the last. Wink

I don't think I am. He posts shit like this to get a reaction. Well he got one. It pisses me off. It's disgraceful, disrespectful and just plain arrogant. He just assumes that people go into these fields for the wrong reasons. Either they are too dumb to go to uni, or they are obsessed with guns for gods sake. How many times does he have a crack without getting pulled up on it? I got pulled up for a joke the other day because he didn't like it, well guess what? I don't like this kind of shit.

David, just how many uni courses have you started? And how many finished? You don't have the right to mock the education standard of anyone until you actually finish something. 1/2 a degree is bullshit, it means nothing. And Just how much volunteer week have you done? Just how much time have you personally spent in a prison camp, a refugee camp, an army barracks etc? Surfing the net does not give you life experience. I take great offence on behalf of every person who has pulled on a uniform, to protect you from the street thug, the hot wheeling hooligan, the terrorist with the gun. You mock, you belittle, you have your little 'jokes', you sit and you judge. Well you can fool others into thinking you just sit on the fence and root for the common man, but I call bullshit. That same Aussie bogan you sit in judgment on, would save your arse when your caught in a rip, stop the thug who's had enough of your smug looks from king hitting you, and stop the Isis terrorist from blowing you up just because you threw down his quarum or whatever it's called.

You don't like authority? Whooee for you, go off and join a comune, but wait even they have rules, they expect you to pull your weight.

There are no free rides, and there shouldn't be.

The option should be they are necessary, there is no evil in the job description.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:33 pm

^ Do you think I'd have the right to mock people's educational standards if I had a degree? I think the more relevant point is that mocking people's educational standards is wrong whatever your own achievements are.

My 17 year old brother wants to join the army. Every time I catch up with him, I'm impressed by his maturity and willingness to thoughtfully consider other people's opinions and think outside the square. And yet I also know that he's a 17 year old boy and that he happens to love shoot-'em-up video games. Do you seriously think that guns aren't at least one motivating factor in him wanting to join the army? Let's get serious here.

You can respect and admire the work that police officers and soldiers do, but that doesn't mean that you should put them on a pedestal. They're not saints. They're just human beings with a range of motivations like you or me.

The reason I started this thread was actually less about trying to resolve whether police officers are good or bad people although we did drift down that track a little and more how we, ordinary Australian citizens, respond to figures of authority. I'm self-aware enough not to confuse my own discomfort with authority with my views on the question of whether or not authority is wrong. As it happens, I think we do need authority figures in certain contexts and that an important part of functioning in society is learning how to accept that (while also remaining vigilant in case authorities over-step the mark). So there's actually a lot more self-criticism going on here than you might realise.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:39 pm

It might be a factor for your brother but not for everyone, my cousin joined the army to serve his country because our grandfather did, and my dad served as well. He went from being in the army to joining the police force as a forensic photographer.

He quit that as he found he didn't have the stomach for that, they told him he had to be apart of the force for that. I am not sure about now. I've not met many people that join the army because of the gun factor, I've known a fair few people that have joined none have said anything about the gun factor.

No doubt there are people that want to join because they want to shoot a gun, but there's so many that don't. Once they get into the training camps I am sure those who just want to play with guns get washed out as they're trained pretty hard.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 pm

TP, you are being needlessly offensive and very unfair.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:45 am

I agree with most here who think the great majority of the police force are decent men and women doing a very tough job. There are however, too many dumb arseholes strutting about in uniform who should never have passed the interview stage. How some of these cretins weren't identified in early training is a mystery to me.

As a regular citizen coming into contact with police, I've never had a problem. As a teacher and seeing them work with students and teachers, I've been impressed on many occasions.

I've also seen the other side. I've been abused, mocked, searched and intimidated. Why? Because I'm an easy target and it's so much easier to spend time on soft, easy targets than to do real policing.

I reckon the problem is the lack of thorough profiling in early training. Too many totally unsuitable types make it through. I have family members in the force; they are, in their personal lives, irresponsible and aggressive. I doubt they'd be much chop as coppers and I'm still wondering how they made the cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: