Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What would you do if Nick's disappeared tomorrow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:43 pm
Post subject: What would you do if Nick's disappeared tomorrow?Reply with quote

It's a Monday morning, 9:15 am. You sit down in your office, check some emails, open a new tab in Google Chrome and start typing 'magpies.net...', press enter. Nothing loads. There's a white screen, perhaps, or a 404 message.

You message a fellow poster on Facebook. "Is Nick's down for you too?" you ask. Yep. Nothing for them either.

The site stays down for the rest of the day, and the next. Eventually, word gets through that Nick's has been shut down. Either the server crashed, or Mike got sick and tired of our shit, or we ended up on a government blacklist for promoting internet piracy. There are many quite plausible scenarios, but whichever it is, Nick's is gone and is never coming back. All your posts have vanished forever. You'll retain contact with the people you got acquainted with in real life or on other forums, but there are many posters that you felt like you knew, somehow, who you will never interact with again. It is as if the whole forum never existed.

How do you cope, in this scenario? Do you just shrug your shoulders and move on? Do you feel like you wasted all of the hours and hours you spent on here? Do you try to start a new forum? Does Nick's BB's disappearance leave a hole in your life that you can't move on from? Are you able to explain to friends and family members that you're upset about a website disappearing? How long will you grieve for?

Nicksters, tell me how you would deal with this doomsday scenario.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd certainly be a loss, it's the only forum I regularly visit and post on these days. With the Facebook Groups I've spent more time there than on any forums and stuff so that'd probably be where I'd do my posting.

Though I'd miss some of the posts from some people here that I don't have on Facebook, and would miss reading through posts on here. Someone would have to start a Victoria Park Tavern group on Facebook just to continue the debates there if it ever happened.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Yeah definitely would be disappointed I spend a lot of my free time on here!
Would hope that it wouldn't disappear without warning as I would be left wondering how everyone's life turns out. We certainly get interested in other people's day to day life and I personally would miss that part of it!

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:45 pm

If Nix disappeared I'd spend more time out in the fresh air adding some much needed colour to my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7ag4&list=RDIIW9sL-Yf6Q&index=2

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:28 pm

I'd be unhappy about it, like if a place you went to regularly shut down. I wouldn't slit my wrists or go postal (unless Mike is reading this, then I would Wink ) but I wouldn't be happy.

There's other places to go but they don't have the same feel or familiarity.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Ouch! I'd swear off Nick's before I'd run bloody Chrome. Also give up sex, football, cricket, and apple crumble, but probably not tea. There are limits.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:05 pm

It would be a strange feeling but I guess it'd be a case of moving on quickly and probably posting on BigFooty more often even if it doesn't have the same feeling of familiarity as Stui mentioned.

Not the end of the world but it would be sad.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm

I belong to various fora. Mostly, I regard this one as home, but there are other ones. When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Probably not notice tomorrow as I don't have time to look at Nicks during a work day Razz

Been around a long time now thanks to Mike's genorosity mainly and was in the past a really great fun place with lots of humour and many great posters - now not so much - so if it is gone tomorrow well c'est la vie!

And say thanks for the memories - the 10 year celebration we had at Lexus was pretty cool eh Jaq Very Happy

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks for the topic David... nothing like pulling out a few positive comments to make the day brighter.

Nick's isn't going anywhere. In fact, along with a few others here, I've grown old during Nick's (the web site and the son) existence - so you never know, I may retire and have time to update the software that runs the bulletin board and keep a few more of you happy.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

It actually happened for a few days around 10 years ago when Mike pulled the plug. Who else remembers when it was called Nicks' reloaded?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:25 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
It actually happened for a few days around 10 years ago when Mike pulled the plug. Who else remembers when it was called Nicks' reloaded?

I do remember this. It was an interesting time.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:25 pm

I remember that too, Seeds* – I'd only just joined back then, at the ripe old age of 14. Even then it felt like a blow. I think it came back within a matter of days, but it took me ages to realise it was still online; I'd just presumed that was it.

(*By the way, how many times have you had to change your username now because a player left? You're the kiss of death! Laughing)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Mike wrote:
Thanks for the topic David... nothing like pulling out a few positive comments to make the day brighter.

Nick's isn't going anywhere. In fact, along with a few others here, I've grown old during Nick's (the web site and the son) existence - so you never know, I may retire and have time to update the software that runs the bulletin board and keep a few more of you happy.

That's great to know, Mike. Very Happy

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:37 pm

I'd miss VPT and its various personalities, but what I’d really, really miss is the football side of it, when the season is on. Living abroad, Nick’s is the most accessible site out there for results and updates (special thanks to Donny). It loads far more quickly than the dreadful AFL site, and the collective opinions of the faithful give me an overview of the state of all things Collingwood which is far superior to the mainstream press. I don’t know who you are, Mike, but it’s been a great service, and thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: