Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Prison System

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:23 am
Post subject: The Prison SystemReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/half-young-offenders-in-victoria-returning-to-jail-within-two-years-new-report-20150917-gjommz.html

The latest report is pretty scaving on the system. My view is this is just another example when Privatisation fails. It's in the Private Operator's interest to have people reoffend as that is how they make their money. If the Prisoner was rehabilitated and released and then did not commit any crimes once released then the Private Prison Operators would go broke. In saying that we do have Prisoners that should never be released.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot them. Fertiliser. Cannon fodder?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 am

think positive wrote:
Shoot them. Fertiliser. Cannon fodder?
We could save a bit of money doing that. Throw in the long term unemployed.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:24 am

Great article, Culprit, thanks. This in particular is worth highlighting:

Quote:
Better education has been identified as a key. Of the 6386 prisoners in jail in March only 246 had completed secondary school.

Case management, mental health support services – 40 per cent of prisoners have mental health issues – and support for people with an acquired brain injury in prison needs to be improved, Ms Glass says.

For how much longer will crime be exploited by opportunistic politicians looking for cheap votes and not be acknowledged for what it is - a function of social disadvantage?

We already know that jails are psychologically damaging institutions and poor environments for rehabilitation. We know that people from poor backgrounds, survivors of physical or sexual abuse and the mentally ill are highly overrepresented in this system. Why are we not doing more to support them before they offend? Why aren't we pouring more funding into reducing disadvantage?

You may not care about prisoners' welfare, but the simple fact is that this system creates victims too. Just look at the re-offence rates.

If you aren't committed to funding prevention and tackling disadvantage, then you have no right to have a position of power in this area. I always vote down 'tough on crime' politicians, and I think others should follow this principle too. The damage they have done - and will continue to do - to our society is too great.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am

Spot on David, the Pollies use the "tough on crime" rhetoric to get votes. They will spend money on a plaque or statue to recognise the achievements of certain individuals, but to spend money on areas that they really don't give a sh*t about is abhorrent in their thinking. Jail for many cases should be the last option.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:05 pm

David wrote:
Great article, Culprit, thanks. This in particular is worth highlighting:

Quote:
Better education has been identified as a key. Of the 6386 prisoners in jail in March only 246 had completed secondary school.

Case management, mental health support services – 40 per cent of prisoners have mental health issues – and support for people with an acquired brain injury in prison needs to be improved, Ms Glass says.

For how much longer will crime be exploited by opportunistic politicians looking for cheap votes and not be acknowledged for what it is - a function of social disadvantage?

We already know that jails are psychologically damaging institutions and poor environments for rehabilitation. We know that people from poor backgrounds, survivors of physical or sexual abuse and the mentally ill are highly overrepresented in this system. Why are we not doing more to support them before they offend? Why aren't we pouring more funding into reducing disadvantage?

You may not care about prisoners' welfare, but the simple fact is that this system creates victims too. Just look at the re-offence rates.

If you aren't committed to funding prevention and tackling disadvantage, then you have no right to have a position of power in this area. I always vote down 'tough on crime' politicians, and I think others should follow this principle too. The damage they have done - and will continue to do - to our society is too great.

David, we've been pouring funding into reducing disadvantage for a very long time. There is lots of disadvantage in China, where i spent last week, and very little funding to reduce it, and relatively low imprisonable crime. More funding is not always the answer to complex problems. i suspect it's more a problem of consumerism, individualism and family dissolution. But there are few votes in trying to tackle those.

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm

I take a more complex view of disadvantage than the typical socioeconomic measurements. The fact that the inhabitants of a run-down village in sub-Saharan Africa can be happier than a millionaire with a country estate should suggest to us that pure wealth is not the only measurement of whether you've been given a good deal in life. So, I agree that the causes of dysfunction you list need to be at least addressed (and, ideally, balanced out somehow). But in the meantime, the statistics don't lie: we need to be pouring even more funding into reducing socioeconomic disadvantage and treating mental illness, because those are clearly major causal factors in deciding who ends up in prison.

China is a slightly different issue. I don't think anyone would deny that crime rates (at least, non-white collar crimes) drop in highly authoritarian societies. But the question is whether we would want to give up basic civil liberties, due process, judicious sentencing, free expression and so on in order to achieve that. Thankfully, I think most of us prefer not to go down that path.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:54 pm

^ you can probably imagine that i would not advocate the Chinese justice system ; the point is simply that culture and institutions matter, in my view, more than levels of government spending. I suspect that Australia's mentally ill and undereducated end up in jail because they take their behavioural cues from our rather fractured society. You can of course spend more on mental health, and on refugees, and on education, and on domestic violence, environment, and on Aboriginal welfare, and on medicare, etc ad infinitum. They are all good causes. But the cause (funding) and effect (amelioration) is certainly not straightforward.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 am

a step in the right direction?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-09/victorian-prisoners-to-be-tested-for-literacy-and-numeracy/6923000

"Victoria's prison education system is set to undergo a major shake-up, with every inmate to sit academic tests.

The Victorian Government said only 40 per cent of prisoners have the sufficient literacy and numeracy skills they needed to be able to cope independently in the workforce.

Corrections Minister Wade Noonan said it was about giving prisoners better prospects for the future.

"I think that prisoners face many obstacles when they transition back in to the community," he said.

"But it's very clear that if they can gain a job or perhaps entering into further training, that can be the key for many to move away from a life of crime."

David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:44 am

Yep, sounds like a good move. I'm not always crazy about Labor, but they have a good track record on these issues.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Boosting literacy and numeracy for those who struggle can only be a good thing. I'd be happy to extend that to teaching trade skills, maybe at Pre-app or cert 3 level for those for whom it could benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: