Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Other (basically yes or no with a BUT..... please elaborate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
Tannin wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Only 5% may have an accident, but if 95% of them are saved by the helmet then it makes a big difference!

In your dreams, sailor. Cross off the "9". Most accidents are too minor for a helmet to matter. Some are so bad that a helmet still doesn't matter. That leaves only a handful where it makes a difference. And the health effect of that handful is swamped by the much larger health effect of more cycling through the community.

Helmets cost lives. Deal with it.

Well it saved a life in the only bike accident I've seen recently, but hey if you want that guy to be dead just so some vain and shallow person who won't ride because the helmet messes up their hair will get on a bike, well....

But the way I look at it, those that are that vain and shallow are more likely to be women who look good and are fit and healthy, I highly doubt the fat lady you are trying to get to ride a bike cares about what her hair looks like!

Those that don't exercise is not because the helmet will mess up their hair, its because they are to damn lazy to do anything about it and allowing them to ride without a helmet will have no affect at all, but hey you might kill off a few more people who have accidents that a helmet would have saved their lives.

Nothing to do with being vain at all. Riding with a helmet on just feels horrible, instead of feeling the wind thru ur hair ur head sweats like hell and it make the whole bike riding experience uncomfortable.
If anyone should wear helmets it's P platers in cars.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:14 pm

And not everyone rides a bike for exercise. Many use it for a free form of transportation that has the side bonus of being actually healthy.

If you want to cycle to the shops rather than drive, walk or get public transport, why should you be made to wear a helmet?

partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:10 am

One of my dearest friends was in a hit and run accident about 15 years ago and miraculously survived life threatening head injuries. He was determined to recover and return to work and recently was forced to retire as he was becoming a little eccentric. Over the years I have watched his struggle and we both know he is not likely to live to a ripe old age. He is busy blowing his super and having ridiculous amounts of fun! However the impact on his life and personality has been dramatic, and a friend in the rehab industry tells me it will probably get worse.

I think wearing a helmet is a good idea, some would say wear one while crossing the road or travelling in a car for that matter. Kids should have to wear them and adults are stupid if they don't.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Pendles in New York

https://instagram.com/p/9jfKBsJFdv/?taken-by=sp_10

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:55 pm

In London I wear a helmet when I cycle on my road bike, but that's because I'm going on faster roads and cycling up to 60km/h.

But when I'm riding my hybrid to gym, shops or around I do not wear a helmet. I find that cars get a lot closer to me if I'm wearing a helmet, so I generally feel much safer without one.

Helmets are not compulsory here btw but you find that most people that commute on busy roads and lycra types wear one, but casual cyclists generally don't.

All seems to work pretty well here too, much less agro from car drivers here than cycling in Melbourne.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Bike Helmet laws didn't help: Professor.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/11/05/bike-helmet-laws-didnt-help-at-all-prof
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:44 am

Wokko wrote:
Bike Helmet laws didn't help: Professor.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/11/05/bike-helmet-laws-didnt-help-at-all-prof

the part about women and safe infrastructure is interesting.

i only go on the road to the bike track, even down the beach i ride early so i dont feel guilty riding on the footpath bike track with all the beach goers there.

walking to edihad though, that stupid 2 way bike lane in the middle of the footpath, the cyclists on there are total arrogant morons with their impatient ding ding ding! big crowd on the footpath and they are still racing like its the tour de france, have a bit of sense and consideration

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Interesting Poll at the bottom of that article. 51% of respondents said having to wear a helmet deters them from riding a bike. That supports one of Tannins earlier posts on the subject.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I thought so too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: