Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Other (basically yes or no with a BUT..... please elaborate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I never wear a helmet when I cycle. Cops have driven past me many times and never stopped me. I'd like to see them catch me if they tried anyway 😉
I do stick to cycleways and footpaths as much as possible, only hit the road if I have to.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 pm

think positive wrote:
Tannin wrote:
David wrote:
Also, while I think there's merit to Tannin's argument, there are a lot of other ways to get fit (running, swimming, competitive sport). And people who want to get fit will tend to find a way. How many couch potatoes would really be out on a bicycle if they didn't have to wear a helmet?

Yes. The figures are overwhelming. Do you want to save lives or not? If you are serious about wanting to save lives, never mind saving money, you need to get people doing stuff. Riding bikes saves lives.

As for empathy. Morrigu, any real health professional cares enough about people to do what saves the most lives. Shame on you.

Umm, I've re read both of morrigus posts, and I'm damned if I see where that comment might be warranted!

You need to read the nasty post she directed at me earlier in the thread, TP, implying that because I am more concerned about the (large) number of people who die because they don't ride than the (very small) number who die because they do ride that I "lack empathy". If wanting to see more people die is "empathy", I'd rather not have it thank you all the same.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:39 pm

You're sounding more and more libertarian Tannin, soon you'll be guarding your home marijuana crop on your bicycle without wearing a helmet with an Adler slung over your back, waving to the gay married couple next door.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:41 pm

No Tannin that is not correct! I thought your response to Member 7167 lacked empathy - nothing to do with your opinion that large numbers of people die because they don't ride Confused

Tannin wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
If he wasn't wearing his hemet he may have been killed or he may have received brain damage.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Morrigu wrote:
Oh that's helpful and so very empathetic - pfft you are dead or shit sorry your brain don't work anymore - yadda yadda yadda

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
As for empathy. Morrigu, any real health professional cares enough about people to do what saves the most lives. Shame on you.

Whatever Very Happy Very Happy

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
If he wasn't wearing his hemet he may have been killed or he may have received brain damage.

Yadda yadda yadda. For every example such as this, there are two or three or seventeen examples of people whose lives would have been saved by the healthy exercise they aren't getting because they don't ride and get exercise. Simple fact: helmet laws kill a lot more people than they save.

Oh that's helpful and so very empathetic - pfft you are dead or shit sorry your brain don't work anymore - yadda yadda yadda - helmet laws kill more people than they save 😀😀😀😀😁😀😀😀 - yep bicycle riding is the ONLY path to anything resembing physical activity and fitness that will save your life - really? - your teabags are obviously are out of date Razz

Amazing really, I lost 35 kilos recently and I haven't ridden a bike in 15 years, don't know how I got fit without it!

Anyway at first I thought what a strange question, but then I realised, what is the point of cyclists wearing helmets? Most of them are already brain dead so what damage can they cause?

On a more serious note, we went to a pretty bad bike crash the other week, now he would be dead if he wasn't wearing a helmet but instead just suffered a nasty concussion and a couple of broken bones but lives to tell the tale.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Personally I draw a distinction between cyclists, they aren't a homogenous group.

The ones who want to treadle to work from a suburb away dressed in their suit and barely going 10kmh I'd be happy to let on the footpaths with the caveat that they exercise due care on a shared path with pedestrians.

The spandex brigade on their multi gear speed machines who go hammer and tongs like they're training for the tour de france can get on the road but should be registered so they can be held accountable to follow the road rules same as motorcycles and cars.

Most of the spandex ones would keep wearing helmets whether they were compulsory or not, but making the ones on the single gear machines wear one one because of safety makes as much sense as compulsory helmets and padding for joggers.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:19 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Amazing really, I lost 35 kilos recently

On a more serious note, we went to a pretty bad bike crash the other week, now he would be dead if he wasn't wearing a helmet but instead just suffered a nasty concussion and a couple of broken bones but lives to tell the tale.

Well done you - that is a fantastic achievement - you must feel heaps better Cool

That's an important point any critical assessment of the effectiveness of interventions to improve safety - in this case mandatory helmet wearing must include morbidity not just mortality data.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Morrigu wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Amazing really, I lost 35 kilos recently

Well done you - that is a fantastic achievement - you must feel heaps better Cool

That's an important point any critical assessment of the effectiveness of interventions to improve safety - in this case mandatory helmet wearing must include morbidity not just mortality data.

Thank you, amazing difference. One of the best parts other than all the health improvements is being able to go out in Winter and not break out in a sweat!

Exactly, someone said helmets in cars then, no, they have airbags and seatbelts and other safety devices. On a bike its your helmet as the only safety device. Its like anything, you look at how many crashes an airbag or seatbelt was the difference between life and death, how many lives do smoke alarms save and how many crashes do helmets make a difference? Only 5% may have an accident, but if 95% of them are saved by the helmet then it makes a big difference!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Great post, and I too congratulate you on your health improvement, that's awesome, you've probably extended your life by 10 years or more. Well done.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:38 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Only 5% may have an accident, but if 95% of them are saved by the helmet then it makes a big difference!

In your dreams, sailor. Cross off the "9". Most accidents are too minor for a helmet to matter. Some are so bad that a helmet still doesn't matter. That leaves only a handful where it makes a difference. And the health effect of that handful is swamped by the much larger health effect of more cycling through the community.

Helmets cost lives. Deal with it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:39 am

Some may are so bad that a helmet [he or she]still[he or she] doesn't matter, but not all.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:49 am

Tannin wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Only 5% may have an accident, but if 95% of them are saved by the helmet then it makes a big difference!

In your dreams, sailor. Cross off the "9". Most accidents are too minor for a helmet to matter. Some are so bad that a helmet still doesn't matter. That leaves only a handful where it makes a difference. And the health effect of that handful is swamped by the much larger health effect of more cycling through the community.

Hmmm i'm agreeing with Tannin again, you've changed 😂

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Well it saved a life in the only bike accident I've seen recently, but hey if you want that guy to be dead just so some vain and shallow person who won't ride because the helmet messes up their hair will get on a bike, well....

But the way I look at it, those that are that vain and shallow are more likely to be women who look good and are fit and healthy, I highly doubt the fat lady you are trying to get to ride a bike cares about what her hair looks like!

Those that don't exercise is not because the helmet will mess up their hair, its because they are to damn lazy to do anything about it and allowing them to ride without a helmet will have no affect at all, but hey you might kill off a few more people who have accidents that a helmet would have saved their lives.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Reminds me of this

http://fitisafeministissue.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/wpid-img_26284221948965.jpeg

This woman is awesome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: