Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should bicycle helmets be mandatory for adults?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Other (basically yes or no with a BUT..... please elaborate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ipa.org.au/publications/2019/australia's-helmet-law-disaster

Article on helmet laws.

I tried to fix the link but when I put URL tags on it my whole post disappears. Must be a conspiracy. Laughing

Just copy and paste the link if you're interested.

Last edited by Wokko on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:59 am

If emergency workers get the right to not pick up casualties because of lack of protective care then I do not care. And that includes cyclists who hit pavements and get punched by pedestrians,
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 am

David wrote:
Also, while I think there's merit to Tannin's argument, there are a lot of other ways to get fit (running, swimming, competitive sport). And people who want to get fit will tend to find a way. How many couch potatoes would really be out on a bicycle if they didn't have to wear a helmet?

Yes. The figures are overwhelming. Do you want to save lives or not? If you are serious about wanting to save lives, never mind saving money, you need to get people doing stuff. Riding bikes saves lives.

As for empathy. Morrigu, any real health professional cares enough about people to do what saves the most lives. Shame on you.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 am

There's no dispute that wearing a helmet is safer in case of an accident, that's not the question.

The question is should we have to legislate to make everyone wear them or should adults be able to make a choice?

Most of the pro wear arguments are based on safety, what about the freedom of choice?

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:39 am

Are cyclist that ride on the road covered by TAC insurance or any type of insurance (private health)

If you are riding to work are you covered by work insurance?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:04 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Once helmets became mandatory, Women pretty much stopped cycling overnight. I think this issue is a good place to draw the line in the sand on nanny state BS, let people do what they decide is right for them.

If the reverse is true, and relaxing the laws will unleash an army of women on bicycles, unhelmeted for vanity's sake, is that necessarily a good thing? Sounds like a good way to get a lot more injured people, if you ask me. Razz

Also, while I think there's merit to Tannin's argument, there are a lot of other ways to get fit (running, swimming, competitive sport). And people who want to get fit will tend to find a way. How many couch potatoes would really be out on a bicycle if they didn't have to wear a helmet?

You make a very good point
Bikes are not good for knees, obesity is bad on knees, I'm fit, healthy, and if the winds blowing, I stay off my bike, it's just too hard, so try and motivate someone not so fit to get on a bike and hit a headwind.

And WPT makes a fantastic point. When I'm driving some cyclists drive me nuts with their arrogance. However, getting people to bike to work, especially in the city, is a brilliant idea. Better for the environment, for everyone. We need a coming together. The arrogant cyclist, the arrogant motorist. I was saying to junior last night when some dipshit cut us off driving like a loon to netball, what the hell is wrong with everyone these days? Slow down, be kind, let someone is, give way for gods sake!

The door thing is a hard one to fix. We have all been preoccupied, opened the door and nearly got whooshed by a car. It's really easy to do, you don't notice the car, a bike even less so. Why do they have bike lanes next to parking lanes, especially in busy traffic? Put the bikes next to the side walk, or put the parking on one side of the street only.

Just pay attention. The world needs to slow the hell down, where are we going, that everyone is in such a hurry?

Helmet hair should be a badge of courage, not something to laugh at. Just like a business suit and trainers. Your health, the health of the planet is more important than sniggers from stupid people.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:08 am

ronrat wrote:
If emergency workers get the right to not pick up casualties because of lack of protective care then I do not care. And that includes cyclists who hit pavements and get punched by pedestrians,

WTH!

Really? You want to free up emergency workers, stop the overdoses from drugs, and the one punch heroes. That's just bizarre!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:10 am

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:

Yes. The figures are overwhelming. Do you want to save lives or not? If you are serious about wanting to save lives, never mind saving money, you need to get people doing stuff. Riding bikes saves lives.

As for empathy. Morrigu, any real health professional cares enough about people to do what saves the most lives. Shame on you.

Umm, I've re read both of morrigus posts, and I'm damned if I see where that comment might be warranted!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:14 am

ronrat wrote:

Better make helmets compulsory while driving then, hell of a lot more road trauma would be avoided by car drivers and passengers wearing state mandated safety helmets.

In fact pedestrians suffer far more fatalities than cyclists, better have everyone wearing helmets, under the threat of force from the State whenever they leave the house. Fines or jail if you walk around in public without your safety devices on, and emergency workers will just leave you to die if you refuse to wear them too.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:18 am

stui magpie wrote:
There's no dispute that wearing a helmet is safer in case of an accident, that's not the question.

The question is should we have to legislate to make everyone wear them or should adults be able to make a choice?

Most of the pro wear arguments are based on safety, what about the freedom of choice?

I see a lot of kids riding with their helmets on their handlebars. Out of sight of mum. I see a lot of families riding, mum has a helmet, kids have helmets, dad doesn't. It's a peer pressure thing too.

Funnily enough, all of the riders I see decked out in fluoro who go past me and scare the crap out of me, they all have helmets, every last one. You can get really cool helmets, the racing wind tunnel ones, the old style black bikie, and yeah, I kinda like the gizmo ones, with eyes etc!

In my personal opinion, it's probably a good law, is there figures showing how hard it is enforced? I'm guessing cops mostly turn a blind eye. I could be wrong. You could probably say the same thing about j walking, but gees, you see some dickheads taking chances crossing the road. Rules and laws can be about saving people from their own stupidity!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:20 am

Member 7167 wrote:
My son is a mad keen cyclist. He rides to work most days he works in the city and many of his frends ride in a group on weekends. He has completed events such as the Amy Gillett fondo. Earlier this year he took a corner a little too quick on his way home and rolled the rear tyre off the rim. He smashed out one tooth and pushed another three three into the gum but everything is ok now after enduring considerable pain and expending some $9000.

If he wasn't wearing his hemet he may have been killed or he may have received brain damage. I think helmets should be compulsory the same way as seat belts are. You do not see competators in the Tour De France or any other professional races riding without helmet for a good reason.

I'm glad your sons ok mate. Xxx

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:30 am

Ok, Nick's doesn't like the link I gave for an article; if I try and add URL tags it deleted my whole post. Here's a link to the article through bit.ly

Australia's helmet law disaster:
http://bit.ly/1Ra1JMa
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:57 am

Wokko wrote:
Ok, Nick's doesn't like the link I gave for an article; if I try and add URL tags it deleted my whole post. Here's a link to the article through bit.ly

Australia's helmet law disaster:
http://bit.ly/1Ra1JMa

Gees some surprising facts there, interesting article

Well for me, I'll stick to my stack hat, and I'll insist the kids stick to theirs, also, when their friends co e over to go for a ride, I insist on them leaving with one on too! You can only try

There was always plenty of people riding horses and even trail bikes without them, I've just hit my head enough that I wouldn't risk it no matter what the law said

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:04 am

The thing with this argument is the false dichotomy that without helmet laws nobody will wear helmets. There are plenty of people who will, kids almost universally will and anyone who'd like to ride to the shops through the park with the wind in their hair wont get pulled up by a bored cop and fined.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 am

I'm pro choice.

If someone wants to ride without one, let them. If they have to find out the hard way their head doesn't bounce, fine by me. I'm sure most still would, except for the aforementioned cyclist riding through the park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: