Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Palestinian Intifada

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:52 pm
Post subject: Palestinian IntifadaReply with quote

So here we go again. This time it's random knife attacks on Israeli Jews and I've never seen a more feckless response from the USA or the media. It seems the left, ever hostile towards Israel has doubled down this time around.

Murdering civilians is not an uprising, or a revolution, it's murder and is designed to terrorize the population. Surprised not to see a thread about this on here already... unless I've missed it.

http://www.breitbart.com/jihad/2015/10/19/six-lessons-learn-palestinian-knife-intifada/
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun isn't it?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Did I read 8 deaths in knife attacks in Israel this month? That's certainly no good. Are the Israeli security forces struggling to cope?

Do you recommend, say, I reduce my current interest in China, India, Mexico and Russia to focus more on Israel?

These things are no good, of course, but it's not exactly clear why you think not finding a thread on Israel is more disturbing than not finding a thread on Eritrea or Peru.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Oi PTID - are you not in Rome clebrating your anniversary???

Go romance your lady and come back in a day or two and resume your role as giant pain in the arse - go on off you go now Wink Razz

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm

^I had to sneak that post in by pretending I was looking at a map of Rome Razz
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:44 pm

It's a fair point, PTID. But perhaps also a fair cop for leftists who seem to care much more about Israeli barbarity against Palestinians than anything happening in Eritrea, Peru, etc.

The Netanyahu government is used to swatting flies with a sledgehammer, so I hate to think what their response to this will be. That's no justification whatsoever for random attacks on civilians, but unfortunately Israel under Likud doesn't seem to know how to do anything but escalate. And so another generation of violent chaos is set in stone. If we're not working towards Palestinian statehood and an end to West Bank settlements, we're part of the problem imho.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:45 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^I had to sneak that post in by pretending I was looking at a map of Rome Razz
What happened to it?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:57 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Did I read 8 deaths in knife attacks in Israel this month? That's certainly no good. Are the Israeli security forces struggling to cope?

Much much more than 8.

There has been murder, maiming, deliberately being perpetrated by individuals & at times pairs of children, teenagers, adults either knifing, rock throwing, shooting & driving cars to deliberately kill & maim jews. This is being driven my Hamas in an organised manner - social media is being used & has significant religious basis to it.

Much of it is related to a false perception & narrative in the Muslim world that the jews are trying to take over the Dome of the Rock - a lie deliberately being perpetrated throughout the Muslim world. This has been going on for years but is reaching a crescendo in the last month.

This is occurring in a context where:

In Israel

1. There are some crazy right wing jewish extremists who want this;
2. Netanyahu gives too much freedom to some extremist right wing nutters;
3. The nutters are a small minority with too much power & are not being punished enough or equally by the police & courts;

In East Jerusalem & the West Bank:

4. Increasing palestinian unemployment;(Palestinians used to be employed in Israel in large numbers but Israel now uses 3rd world labour - Philippines etc. The second intifada resulted in the wall being built & Palestinian employment inside Israel reduced to negligible levels compared to what they were.
5. Hamas, islamic Jihad & recently Isis cells - (few in number) are now instrumental as well as the Imams saying kill the jews because .....including most importantly their desire to take over the Dome of the Rock.

A 13 & a 15 yr old arab muslim boys went on a a knife attack the other day. They stabbed others. The 15 yr old was shot & dead. What is being reported in the Arab media is that Israelis are killing children & others without mentioning knife attacks amongst other things. the 13 yr old said he came to kill jews. Not all but most attacks are largely but not exclusively confined to Jerusalem and also Hebron & a few other places. Abbas wrongly stated the 13 yr old was executed. The 13 yr old was lying in an Israeli Jerusalem hospital eating chocolate pudding!

It is not an intifada but there have been more than 25 attacks against Jews & other Israelis:

But there are always good news stories too:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hummus-joint-gives-jewish-arab-tables-50-off/

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4713456,00.html

http://www.timesofisrael.com/clip-of-israeli-arab-anchor-slamming-muslim-leadership-goes-viral/

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:22 am

Thanks for the update, WPT. Love that chick peace article Very Happy

As you know, I worry about Israel, but not because I worry less about Chinese Koreans being racially targeted in Korea and China, despite them not being mentioned in the Nevi'im.

"Yes, persecuted Confucian child, I hear ya'; but we don't have a Bruce McAvaney *speeeeecial* relationship with you, hence you don't get yer own thread!

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:36 am

Nevermind...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 pm

On the other hand, doesn't our active endorsement/sponsorship of the Israeli government mean that their war crimes are a little more relevant to our local political context than, say, those perpetrated by a central African kleptocracy?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:56 pm

The Palestinians and Jews have been at each others throats since they rocked in from the desert and decided put down sticks (and pick up stones) and nothing we say or do is going to change things.
In Africa the people are fed into forced slavery mining blood diamonds and all sorts exotic minerals needed by the West with the profits leaving the country to enrich the Multinationals or into an African Warlords Cayman Island bank-accounts!
At the moment we live in a country run by big mining, big media and big banks (to name a few) that are actively selling Australia by the ton and the %, dressing it up with banner of "free trade for all (Multi-nationals!)" (but no jobs for the people they are paid to represent)!
All the while those in power rail against the poor as they swill the finest cognac and dance semi-naked on expensive marble tables and wrought their "publicly funded" "expense accounts"* on the flimsiest of excuses all held together with the connivance of all the major parties*.

You ask which scenario has more relevance to the local political context I'd have to say the African kleptocracy.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm

David wrote:
On the other hand, doesn't our active endorsement/sponsorship of the Israeli government mean that their war crimes are a little more relevant to our local political context than, say, those perpetrated by a central African kleptocracy?

Are you saying you can't think of fifty such sponsorships or interferences either directly or via buddy states?

An article this morning said 10 deaths this month. Bad news, to be sure. Worth a thread for Israel watchers or anyone so inclined.

But this thread was predicated not on it being bad news, but on the supposed "fecklessness" of all and sundry 7B other folk on earth having other concerns.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:30 pm

But equally, you could criticise our focus here on American politics as opposed to that of other major world powers like Russia, India or China, the latter two of which barely rate a mention. I guess it's good to interrogate these things, but beyond that you have to expect there'll be biases and blind spots.

I like to work on the principle that a thread/chat/protest about something is better than nothing at all.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Hang on, how did you just turn that 180 degrees? I'm fine with the topic, but the OP, the OP, laced it with a poisonous implicature that there was a moral failing in it not being a matter of focus.

Stay with that: the OP, not me. The OP.

There are probably no topics on Aboriginal Australia at the moment; that would surely be the most damning fact of all if you think it's sensible pursuing that logic.

To repeat: I'm replying to the OP's implicature. The OP's.

========
========

Back to the topic itself: Now at ten stabbings in the context of agitation. But in a perpetuation of the norm, something like triple the number of retaliatory deaths.

That's going to work a treat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: