Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion about acceptable styles of argument in VPT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ sigh*. Wokko's views are that Islam is a violent expansionary relgion. Saddam Hussein's views were that America is a violent imperialist power that had no business invading Iraq. That does not make Wokko the EDL, and it does not make you Saddam, or a Saddam sympathiser. If you have evidence that Wokko acts like the thugs in the EDL picture and has a record of .anti-Islamic violence against people in our community then post it.

Over and out on this thread - you can have the last word.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Razz
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ sigh*. Wokko's views are that Islam is a violent expansionary relgion. Saddam Hussein's views were that America is a violent imperialist power that had no business invading Iraq. That does not make Wokko the EDL, and it does not make you Saddam, or a Saddam sympathiser. If you have evidence that Wokko acts like the thugs in the EDL picture and has a record of .anti-Islamic violence against people in our community then post it.

Over and out on this thread - you can have the last word.

Sigh nothing. That's the EDL's view, too. Read it:

http://www.englishdefenceleague.org/?page_id=11
http://www.englishdefenceleague.org/?page_id=9

Your arse covering shows you took a side on the basis of irrational gut impulse in complete disregard of the facts.

As the sequence of conversation quoted above shows, I was clearly saying (a) I don't care if my view is not widely-held as the quality of a view cannot be judged by its popularityhence, look at these morons who share your views; and (b) regardless, as provided, the EDL is a legal British group with a legal website and a legal mission statement, who have disowned their violent fringe repeatedly, and very, very clearly share a massive overlap of views with Wokko.

In other words, I was 100% correct as far as anyone on earth holding highly similar views go: The EDL shares Wokko's hysterical views.

And, here's the kicker in your terrible analogy: Saddam's (mass murderous and genocidal) Ba'ath Party was not a public British group of people with a legal British website and a completely legal British mission statement which participates legally in British society and politics and disowns its violent fringe. So, it's you who have introduced the second false association here.

Even worse, you then claimed I started the brouhaha through an unfair association, when in fact it was Wokko's false and ridiculous assertion that I am "handing over (Europe)" to "a violent, oppressive, expansionist religion like Islam" that kicked it off.

No apology to me, though, of course.

Unlike histrionic "the Muslims are coming" tripe, my approach is unapologetically based on the practical need to work with and manage the statistics and complexities of changing world approaching 10B+ peopleand sadly there's no political party which represents that view.

The sort of soppy focus group pandering you engage in, combined with a refusal to let go of 1950s imperialism, is why you have nothing consequential to say about a shared future in a world of 2B Muslims, 1B+ Chinese, 1B+ Indians (overlapping the Muslim population, of course), and billions of other non-Euro-Anglo-American others.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:38 am

^

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/hate-groups/edl/

Did the picture you posted show a group of people engaging in a bulletin board discussion about Islam, or a group of hate-filled and threatening street fighters ? Of course, the fact that EDL is legal is neither here nor there. The BNP in the Uk is legal. It is also (like the EDL) a hate group with a vigilante record of actively threatening and intimidating Muslims within the host society, and you showed that with your picture. It may have disowned its violent fringe, but you chose to show a picture of that fringe as representing Wokko's views. I think that's unfair.

If anyone advocated that kind of vigilante action on this board, most (and probably all) of the people with reservations about Islam here would be down on them like a ton of bricks, because they (we) do not have the views you misattribute to us. None of us want to menace innocent people who are part of our community. Many of us have reservations about the effects of Islam as a movement within our society, however, and want public policies to manage the effects in a peaceful and liberal way.

I'll say it one more time - this meme of posting pictures of false association to goad a response should stop. I've been thus associated in the not too distant past with George Bush, Tony Abbott, and Bibi Netanyahu. Or perhaps you can post more pictures of Wokko in a rubbish bin, for a laugh ("wassa matter, can't you take a joke?" etc). Just bring your excellent intellect, prodigiously wide learning and original world view to enrich a respectful discussion on what is, after all, just a bloody football social board. If you want to fight the great battles of state via a political blood-sport, then join a party and have a go ; but most of us are not looking for that level of concussion here. If you think it's ok, then people will manage it as best they can, but you must expect it'll cause a negative reaction from time to time.

I said I'd leave you the last word, and I've broken that here, because your last post required it. But now let be. You can have the last word, and flail away to your heart's content.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 am

Mugwump wrote:
If you want to fight the great battles of state via a political blood-sport, then join a party and have a go ; but most of us are not looking for that level of concussion here. If you think it's ok, then people will manage it as best they can, but you must expect it'll cause a negative reaction from time to time.

I said I'd leave you the last word, and I've broken that here, because your last post required it. But now let be. You can have the last word, and flail away to your heart's content.

I found the bit about concussion fitting Laughing

I never complained once about "the negative reaction"nor did I go off sooking like someone else requesting the free speech of others to be censored. That's a brand new deceptive implicature you've introduced to those not familiar with the discussion on prior pages. Get it into your head: you and the Nick's censorship Taliban are the ones complaining!

What a farce. Would you have also written to Comedy Central to have John Stewart and John Oliver censored should their use of association not meet your personal approval? Yep, forget satire; you're going after "associations". Have you even thought that ridiculous notion through?

You've got hopeless, hypocritical double standards. Once more, it's fine for you to write as much as you like about whatever political battles of state interest you whenever you like. But it's not right for me to do so in couple of threads at any one time on the *entirety* of the Nick's site. Yep, the *entirety* of Nick's at any one time.

You've backed yourself into a ridiculous corner and you're making no sense. Free speech advocate my arse. And there you are worried about Islamisation Shocked

I say you take that concussion seriously Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 am

Jokes are supposed to be humourous, funny, make people laugh, take the piss in a nice way. I'm pretty good at laughing at myself. I'm pretty sure plenty here remember my shake the paint can accident, fall in the bathroom black eye of epic proportions, and more recently, get attacked by a gym machine bruise.

If you tell a joke, and no one laughs, if you are in fact told by the majority that the joke is not funny, but is in fact highly offensive, then it's not a joke.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:48 am

^That, or post a really over-sized image in the midst of a forum discussion Laughing

think positive wrote:
Jokes are supposed to be humourous, funny, make people laugh, take the piss in a nice way. I'm pretty good at laughing at myself. I'm pretty sure plenty here remember my shake the paint can accident, fall in the bathroom black eye of epic proportions, and more recently, get attacked by a gym machine bruise.

If you tell a joke, and no one laughs, if you are in fact told by the majority that the joke is not funny, but is in fact highly offensive, then it's not a joke.

False. Plenty of jokes are hilarious, yet some group hates them. You don't get to control who laughs at what and who thinks something is or isn't a joke.

Just ask the Church of Scientology or <place literally any number of millions of churches and traditional organisations here> how much they enjoy humour at their expense.

Who taught you this completely off-the-wall, autocratic version of public speech and thought control?

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:57 am

Wokko makes a valid point!
This pathetic piece of dribble is what the LNP considers enlightened debate.
I call it the last refuge of the scoundrel!

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-age-letters/china-freetrade-deal-liberals-desperate-ads-insult-our-intelligence-20151010-gk62vx.html

Last edited by 3.14159 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:59 am

PTID, if your target audience is not laughing, it is not a joke, not even an attempt at humor, its just a thinly veiled insult, designed to either offend, insult, or hurt.

your "jokes" are aimed solely at a single person, designed to hurt, offend, insult or instigate others to do so, ON THIS FORUM, maybe you have misjudged your target audience.

have you noticed? no one is laughing.

i dont care about your "out in the real world" i care about this forum, and it being a place where i can safely voice my opinion or an opinion thats slightly off the wall, without a shit load of vitriol, or a direct insinuation that im a blubbering idiot that doesnt deserve to be heard.

i try to do no harm, i expect the same in return. is that too much to ask?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:11 am

^But I consider your more extreme views, often based on LQ information, very harmful. You don't have to agree; that's just my take.

The harsh reality of our culture is that no one has to care if you personally think something think is funny or not. Are you the Jesus of humour? Are your like-minded mates the Church of Humour? Is Nick's the Ministry of Humour?

I don't find half the stuff you go on about vaguely interesting, and a portion of it sounds like screams from an asylum to me. Even so, I can engage you if I feel like it, but I can't stop you; too bad for me!

Don't take that wrong, I really like the other half of your stuff! That's just life, isn't it? Of course I know much of my stuff bores people to tears, and some on certain topics causes certain personality types to become irate. But that's because I focus on political threads mostly on Nick's as a personal preference, so you're seeing very filtered content from me.

No need to take the politics aspect too personally IMO. Thrash it out in its own space. It's called compartmentalisation.

I can't be bothered writing about the Great British Bake Off, even though the Beloved One forced me to watch it Wink But I certainly do other stuff, you know!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am

pietillidie wrote:
^But I consider your more extreme views, often based on LQ information, very harmful.

Harmful to who? Who is reading Nicks that is somehow going to have an "ahaaaa" moment by something I, or anyone else writes?

In any case this thread is not about how intelligent you think I, or anyone else is, or wether our beliefs are right or wrong.

It's about the smug arrogant, derogatory, callous put downs, the unecesary name calling, to anyone who disagrees with your views, that you somehow Think are humorous, and yet most of us here, are sick to death of.

(And yes, I got the message," I'm a silly hysterical woman, get back in the kitchen and let the big boys fix the world" huh! maybe that's what's wrong with it)

But as Luvdids says so well in the WTF thread, it's time to walk away.

Deflect away, I'm done.

Last edited by think positive on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:07 am

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
^But I consider your more extreme views, often based on LQ information, very harmful.

Harmful to who? Who is reading Nicks that is somehow going to have an "ahaaaa" moment by something I, or anyone else writes?

In any case this thread is not about how intelligent you think I, or anyone else is, or wether our beliefs are right or wrong.

It's about the smug arrogant, derogatory, callous put downs, the unecesary name calling, to anyone who disagrees with your views, that you somehow Think are humorous, and yet most of us here, are sick to death of.

No, it's really about you projecting rage onto me because I take exception to you projecting it unfairly on others in their remote absence, and by doing so rousing mob fear and anxiety, and damaging the prospects of the planet.

I've always said I'm happy to negotiate; you improve the factual basis and care with which you target distant others in their absence, and I won't defend them as vigorously.

But you rule the world, right? So, instead of either (a) compartmentalising and keeping politics over there in its own box, or (b) satisfying me to some degree in an act of negotiation, you would rather head back to the 1600s to take my free speech away by inciting the Talibanic mob to stone me to death.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:29 am

pietillidie wrote:

No, it's really about you projecting rage onto me because I take exception to you projecting it unfairly on others

No, it really isn't.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:30 am

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

No, it's really about you projecting rage onto me because I take exception to you projecting it unfairly on others in their remote absence, and by doing so rousing mob fear and anxiety, and damaging the prospects of the planet.

I've always said I'm happy to negotiate; you improve the factual basis and care with which you target distant others in their absence, and I won't defend them as vigorously.

But you rule the world, right? So, instead of either (a) compartmentalising and keeping politics over there in its own box, or (b) satisfying me to some degree in an act of negotiation, you would rather head back to the 1600s to take my free speech away by inciting the Talibanic mob to stone me to death.

No, it really isn't.

Yes, it really is Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: