Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

pies 2016 List Analysis: Gary Buckenara

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm
Post subject: pies 2016 List Analysis: Gary BuckenaraReply with quote

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-list-analysis-finals-a-non-negotiable-in-2016-could-be-a-premiership-challenger/story-fnp04d70-1227571259629

Makes some reasonable assessments especially on the "kicking with punch"...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you can report, since most of us don't subscribe?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Composite of a couple of extracts I found lying about...

COLLINGWOOD has had its two-year finals sabbatical and now it’s time for the Pies to return to September action.

Nathan Buckley has a number of quality young players on his list and the sky is the limit for the group next season - finals are a non-negotiable and even challenging for a premiership isn’t out of the question.

There are good young players in Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard, Jonathon Marsh and Matthew Scharenberg who will be a very, very good player. Travis Varcoe has added something, Marley Williams provides good run from defence but can be erratic with his kicking and Tom Langdon reads the ball really well but needs to work on getting a better punch into his use by foot.

In terms of trading, GWS midfielder Adam Treloar is expected to arrive and he’s a really good player who’ll add something more to Pendlebury, Levi Greenwood, Taylor Adams, Jack Crisp and Jordan De Goey. In terms of trade value though, it’s expected the Pies with give up their first-round picks in 2015 and 2016 and get a second-round pick back but to me, pick No. 7 this year would have been adequate to secure him. It would be fair and reasonable compensation.

In this draft, to get a pick inside 10 is very, very good value particularly because of the lack of depth in it and that adds value.

With the addition of Treloar, the midfield is very good. In terms of James Aish who also wants to head to the Pies, I’m not convinced. He’s not overly quick but does have good skills. Overall though, I think they have enough of his type.

Forwards are more a priority and Melbourne’s Jeremy Howe is a very good fit. He can slot into that forward role and present a genuine marking option to take the heat off Travis Cloke a bit.

For mine, the Pies have been disappointing the last couple of years even though they have been in a bit of a development/re-jig mode. It’s time for them to start delivering.

I seem them being a contender next year – as I said earlier as a minimum should play finals in 2016 – but if not next year in terms of challenging then definitely in 2-3 years the Pies should be knocking on the door of winning a premiership.

There should be good times ahead and not just as one year on, one year off. Collingwood look set for sustained success with the group of talented young players they’ve assembled plus the football a guy like Dane Swan still has left to offer. I reckon he’s got a few more years left in him yet.
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:20 pm

You'll be able to read it here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/collingwood-list-analysis-finals-a-non-negotiable-in-2016-could-be-a-premiership-challenger/story-e6frg6n6-1227571259629

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Funny how he thinks we are paying 'overs' for Treloar & Aish isn't worth what we are offering.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Ev5Magpies wrote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/collingwood-list-analysis-finals-a-non-negotiable-in-2016-could-be-a-premiership-challenger/story-e6frg6n6-1227571259629

That also has a paywall... Can we somehow put a ban on Nick's on posting links to articles that require subscription?
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:38 pm

I agree with Bucky on Aish, he is too slow and we have enough of his type. Treloar is the one we need and I do think 2 x 1st round picks is too much for any one player. But, if we have to do it then what can we do? The kicking penetration thing is spot on, we move the ball too slowly through the air, far to many "perceptive fellow" for mine. Nathan Brown is a perfect example and we have many blokes who kick like him....Toovey too. Get that footy down lower and punch it hard, practice that over summer guys, it really does help ball movement. Speed kills.

MONCO: Your life.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
I agree with Bucky on Aish, he is too slow and we have enough of his type. Treloar is the one we need and I do think 2 x 1st round picks is too much for any one player. But, if we have to do it then what can we do? The kicking penetration thing is spot on, we move the ball too slowly through the air, far to many "perceptive fellow" for mine. Nathan Brown is a perfect example and we have many blokes who kick like him....Toovey too. Get that footy down lower and punch it hard, practice that over summer guys, it really does help ball movement. Speed kills.

You may find that it's too late for:

* Nathan Brown
* Alan Toovey
* Ben Sinclair
* Jack Frost
* Marley W
* J Blair

To improve their kicking!

Players that shall threaten their respective starting positions next season include:

* J. Marsh
* B. Maynard
* M Scharenberg
* A. Oxley
* T. Broomhead
* J. Howe

roar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Disagree we have many of Aish's type - not too many good decision-makers/users in our team.

Absolutely agree with the knock on Langdon - he will need to improve that area quite a bit.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:03 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
Ev5Magpies wrote:

That also has a paywall... Can we somehow put a ban on Nick's on posting links to articles that require subscription?

Well we aren't allowed to simply copy and paste the whole article, so posting the link at least lets those people who can access the link view it and people can then discuss it so you get more news than you would if it wasn't posted at all

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 pm

2 years ago I don't think wouldve gave up 2 first rounders for a Treloar type, but we have enough talented kids now, so giving up a bit extra now makes sense.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:49 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
Ev5Magpies wrote:

Just google 'sky's the limit for pies'
Its free from there

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
2 years ago I don't think wouldve gave up 2 first rounders for a Treloar type, but we have enough talented kids now, so giving up a bit extra now makes sense.

Agree defender I think we have stock piled enough genuine talented players with huge upside so not being a major player in the draft for a could years doesn't hurt.
Our next entry into the draft would be for KPP if we don't trade for one under FA.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:01 pm

copy the link, paste into search browser, remove www. and the end numbers and it should come up - doesn't always work and usually no way for Herald Sun articles...
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:03 pm

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Composite of a couple of extracts I found lying about...

COLLINGWOOD has had its two-year finals sabbatical and now it’s time for the Pies to return to September action.

Nathan Buckley has a number of quality young players on his list and the sky is the limit for the group next season - finals are a non-negotiable and even challenging for a premiership isn’t out of the question.

There are good young players in Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard, Jonathon Marsh and Matthew Scharenberg who will be a very, very good player. Travis Varcoe has added something, Marley Williams provides good run from defence but can be erratic with his kicking and Tom Langdon reads the ball really well but needs to work on getting a better punch into his use by foot.

In terms of trading, GWS midfielder Adam Treloar is expected to arrive and he’s a really good player who’ll add something more to Pendlebury, Levi Greenwood, Taylor Adams, Jack Crisp and Jordan De Goey. In terms of trade value though, it’s expected the Pies with give up their first-round picks in 2015 and 2016 and get a second-round pick back but to me, pick No. 7 this year would have been adequate to secure him. It would be fair and reasonable compensation.

In this draft, to get a pick inside 10 is very, very good value particularly because of the lack of depth in it and that adds value.

With the addition of Treloar, the midfield is very good. In terms of James Aish who also wants to head to the Pies, I’m not convinced. He’s not overly quick but does have good skills. Overall though, I think they have enough of his type.

Forwards are more a priority and Melbourne’s Jeremy Howe is a very good fit. He can slot into that forward role and present a genuine marking option to take the heat off Travis Cloke a bit.

For mine, the Pies have been disappointing the last couple of years even though they have been in a bit of a development/re-jig mode. It’s time for them to start delivering.

I seem them being a contender next year – as I said earlier as a minimum should play finals in 2016 – but if not next year in terms of challenging then definitely in 2-3 years the Pies should be knocking on the door of winning a premiership.

There should be good times ahead and not just as one year on, one year off. Collingwood look set for sustained success with the group of talented young players they’ve assembled plus the football a guy like Dane Swan still has left to offer. I reckon he’s got a few more years left in him yet.

Thank you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: