Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

X Factor Forward Line

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:10 am
Post subject: X Factor Forward LineReply with quote

The common theme on a lot of the threads posted on Nick's is the proliferation of "half back flankers"/defenders on our list and the clogging effect that this creates. The question I ask is:

"ARE they half back flankers/defenders OR have we ALLOWED them to become as such"??

* Goldsack
* Langdon
* Scharenberg
* Marsh
* Varcoe
* Marley
* Sinclair
* Ramsay
* Toovey
* Maynard
* Seedsman
* Oxley

12 to name a few! Looking at the Hawks versatility and X factor have been synonymous with their ascent. With the Pies forward line having limped and regressed since the halcyon scoring days of 2011, we may have been contributors to our own problem.

Now 12 can't fit into 4 (eg. two back pockets, 2 half backs) so my rationale is before we go to the trade table, why not consider whom in fact has some genuine X factor skill base plus talent that lends themselves to forward [b opportunities. These include:

* Oxley: recruited on the basis of a 7 goal performance for Redland in QAFL. Has shown good hands, agility, height and kicking. Really believe he could play the Gunston type role. Maybe not as good but floated down there in season 2015 to kick some goals and took some good marks.

Marsh: if anyone saw his 130 meter running goal for WA team in draft year knows his pace, flair and skills are X factor. Am not against a full back roll but he could be an exciting tall wingman or 3rd tall up forward.

Scharenberg: the upside is huge and not against a solid 22 game season off half back next year, however I don't want him to become another "Bruise free, divest all body contact Bryce Gibbs" who has 7 years at half back.

Varcoe: Played some greta games off half back but his elite foot skills are needed off the wing where he can hit up our leading forwards etc..

Anyway, just my opinion. Bucks has to ensure some level of creativity and X factor to permeate the side. With players such as K Martin, P Karnezis etc leaving the club might be all well and good, we can't afford unique p.o.d players like Oxley to leave or make everybody a defender.

Last edited by inxs88 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread, Jackcass wrote about the amount of half back flankers, saying "I think the perception is skewed because we have a few like Scharenberg, Langdon, Oxley, Williams, Maynard, and Goodyear who appear likely to spend time at HBF but ultimately appear more versatile and could transition into the midfield or forward."

I tend to agree.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 am

Lazza wrote:
In another thread, Jackcass wrote about the amount of half back flankers, saying "I think the perception is skewed because we have a few like Scharenberg, Langdon, Oxley, Williams, Maynard, and Goodyear who appear likely to spend time at HBF but ultimately appear more versatile and could transition into the midfield or forward."

I tend to agree.

Yeah I agree. I'm just trying to attack the source of how we end up with this over-supply. It's fair to say that half back is the "default position" for those whom sometimes aren't adept players and not prolific enough to be on ball.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Oxley could play the mobile chf role easily, he reads the play well, has great hands and is a vg kick. He reminds me a lot of Gavin Crosisca.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:37 pm

Elliott and Fas both have X factor, and Swanny is ....well....Swanny.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Elliott and Fas both have X factor, and Swanny is ....well....Swanny.

yes they do but my thread was geared towards those whom are currently playing in the back line as is, who could and were drafted on the back of forward talents.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:20 pm

No room for Danni Minogue, Guy Sebastian, or Ricky Martin?? Wink

Of the names mentioned in the OP, I think most are suited to a HB type role - although Marsh is the one I'd love to see freed up and not played as a Key Defender. Let the boy run!

And I don't see the same potential in Oxley as some others do. I don't see him as a long-term senior AFL player.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Two talls and bring the ball to ground. When needed can create 3 talls by including Goldsack/White/resting ruck.

FF Swan Cloke Stevie J
HF Fasolo Moore Elliott
Int Broomhead

2017 DeGoey replaces one of Swan/Stevie J

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:52 pm

FF Swan Cloke Elliott
HF Broomhead Moore Pendlebury

There's the starting 6 forwards... With the imports of Treloar and Aish. Plus the continued growth of Adams, DeGoey, Crisp, Greenwood, etc. I think you'll find we will be looking to play Swan and Pendlebury forward more often than not. Not only does this help prolong their careers, but the class it adds forward of the ball will make a massive difference.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:59 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
FF Swan Cloke Elliott

There's the starting 6 forwards... With the imports of Treloar and Aish. Plus the continued growth of Adams, DeGoey, Crisp, Greenwood, etc. I think you'll find we will be looking to play Swan and Pendlebury forward more often than not. Not only does this help prolong their careers, but the class it adds forward of the ball will make a massive difference.

I think against the better teams you will see Pendles and Sidey playing a fair bit at half back in the QB-type role a la Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne setting up play going forward.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:59 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
FF Swan Cloke Elliott

I think against the better teams you will see Pendles and Sidey playing a fair bit at half back in the QB-type role a la Hodge/Mitchell/Burgoyne setting up play going forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: