Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Political correctness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is political correctness a good thing or a bad thing?
Generally good
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Generally bad
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
We need some level of it, but it can get taken too far.
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
There's no such thing.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PTID, what are your thoughts on some of the more classical leftist critiques of political correctness? That PC is a means of perpetuating inequality, racism, sexism etc. by making sure people just say the right things and avoid confronting uncomfortable realities?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 am

I introduced myself to someone the other day at work to commence an assessment & the ice affected person told me to "f*ck off c.nt"

I didn't think that was correct whether politically or not

& no she was not a friend, not did she know me well either Wink

Hadn't been sworn at like that for a very long time. Nice way to start the working day Wink Very Happy Shocked

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 am

David wrote:
PTID, what are your thoughts on some of the more classical leftist critiques of political correctness? That PC is a means of perpetuating inequality, racism, sexism etc. by making sure people just say the right things and avoid confronting uncomfortable realities?

It's is a bit like discussing the finer points of the last judgement, forgetting the minor inconvenience that it might well be completely imaginary!

If you mean control of language as an expression of power, it could be, but that's not a general law given both dissidence and harmless everyday trivia do exactly the same thing with language. I guess it could signify ossification.

The worry over the worry over the use of language does remind me of the aesthetic fetish within Leftist groups over "the right structure". There's no way of measuring or testing it, as opposed to, say, the decline in real wages or the relationship between ethnicity and high school graduation rates.

And it's not even good poststructuralism, because it is just a worry without further definition. Take Foucault's work in contrast; the bloke had clearly argued hypotheses about the world and conducted extensive content analysis in order to explore them. He didn't just blurt out any old arbitrary or even plausible shite that entered his mind. And now, you can take his claims about discipline and punishment and actually look for them in the data.

That said, I'm happy for any claim to be deconstructed. So, if they're really serious and not just talking Internet dribble, and actually claiming *should/not* do x because y causal mechanism results in z, then their job is to explain x, y and z first. Just how much is this worry over worry over language constraining progress, if at all? We certainly do know that vilification damages people and can prove it in the lab in brain scans. But what damage does efforts to counter vilification through PC language do, if any? Perhaps it is merely annoying but still does good; who knows?

But why would we bother wasting time on any old idea which enters our heads which might possibly be right? I mean, we have to have a reasonable hypothesis. This stuff really does look more like an invented worry that is indicative of OCD or having too much spare time than anything else.

Edit: major rewrite!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:52 am

If he wasn't so serious, this would be laughable! Shocked Laughing

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-01/david-morrison-wants-australians-to-stop-saying-'guys'/7465824

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:51 am

Hehe
That link wouldn't work for me but this did

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3619058/Australian-Year-David-Morrison-wants-stop-saying-word-guys.html

My favourite comment: bring back the gender neutral "hey youse!"

How fricken ridiculous. I use this all the time. Especially around the kids friends, they way some of them dress it's hard to figure out what they are! And besides, I can never remember names!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:14 am

Haha. I posted about this 'guys' thing about 6 months ago.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1646617

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Is "Oi, c$&nts" still acceptable or does that have to be confined to formal settings, such as addressing a diocesan committee?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Laughing That's more like it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is "Oi, c$&nts" still acceptable or does that have to be confined to formal settings, such as addressing a diocesan committee?

Apparently it doesn't quite carry in context to the USA. Using the C word overe here is near as bad as the N word, except every race will try to frag you.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 pm

I watched a movie recently about some gentleman with attitude that were straight out of Compton.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Apparently it doesn't quite carry in context to the USA. Using the C word overe here is near as bad as the N word, except every race will try to frag you.

OH SHIT, im going to need gaffer tape

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I take it you've test driven the expression under controlled, experimental conditions? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: