Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oregon shooting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:

Actually, you're right, you've convinced me. We need women's only gun laws

One central argument for the right to bear arms is giving women the ability to defend themselves against much larger, stronger and aggressive attackers. A firearm is a great equalizer.

An article you may find interesting as well given your flippant remarks about blaming feminism.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/how-to-stop-mass-shootings/

In short it makes a similar argument to that made for terrorism, that having large groups of disaffected and emasculated men causes some to lash out at society. In effect we should look at the cause rather than the symptom. Considering there have always been firearms throughout the American community, there is certainly an argument to be made that something has changed in society since the 1960s to create this phenomenon. (Before 1960 most mass shootings were family murders or felony shootings, ie during a bank robbery etc).

http://www.globalresearch.ca/mass-shootings-in-america-a-historical-review/5355990
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Were high powered assault weapons as prevalent in the general community as they are now? I'm guessing not.

There may well also be more social dysfunction in America today than there was then. It would make sense; harmful phenomena never have one single cause. But take away a major ingredient from the cocktail and these shootings will not happen. If there is greater social dysfunction in America today, then all the more reason to take the match away from the fuse.

Last edited by David on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Then what is it?
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Massive cuts to the budget for Mental Health provision in the U.S over the past 50 years. You want small government, poorly funded mental health & easily available firearms throughout the populace and this is what you'll get. Periodical mass shootings & an epidemic of suicide by gun.

http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=GzmAbAweikQ%3D&tabid=436

Last edited by sixpoints on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Of course the place is dysfunctional. For one thing, it's full of bloody Americans.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Wokko wrote:

giving women the ability to defend themselves against much larger, stronger and aggressive attackers. A firearm is a great equalizer

Correct! It's such a great equaliser that, in America where anyone can own and use a gun, 90% of the gun killings are committed by males. 97% of the school mass murderers are males and 79% of them are white males.

Great equaliser for women. Yer right.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Tannin wrote:
79% of them are white males.

78% of the US population is white. What point are you trying to make exactly? Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Actually, you're right, you've convinced me. We need women's only gun laws

One central argument for the right to bear arms is giving women the ability to defend themselves against much larger, stronger and aggressive attackers. A firearm is a great equalizer.

An article you may find interesting as well given your flippant remarks about blaming feminism.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/how-to-stop-mass-shootings/

In short it makes a similar argument to that made for terrorism, that having large groups of disaffected and emasculated men causes some to lash out at society. In effect we should look at the cause rather than the symptom. Considering there have always been firearms throughout the American community, there is certainly an argument to be made that something has changed in society since the 1960s to create this phenomenon. (Before 1960 most mass shootings were family murders or felony shootings, ie during a bank robbery etc).

http://www.globalresearch.ca/mass-shootings-in-america-a-historical-review/5355990

The biggest worry for me Wokko is that you believe it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:32 pm

David wrote:
Were high powered assault weapons as prevalent in the general community as they are now? I'm guessing not.

There may well also be more social dysfunction in America today than there was then. It would make sense; harmful phenomena never have one single cause. But take away a major ingredient from the cocktail and these shootings will not happen. If there is greater social dysfunction in America today, then all the more reason to take the match away from the fuse.

Explain to me what an 'assault weapon' is and I might be able to answer that one. I would guarantee that an WW2 M1 Garand or M1 Carbine would be more than capable of causing just as much damage as the 5.56mm AR15 that seems to fit the bill for 'assault weapon' because it looks scary.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/07/foghorn/gun-review-us-rifle-caliber-30-m1-m1-garand/

The technology of civilian firearms hasn't really changed all that much in the last 50 years or so, some of the best weapons came out of WW2 and have simply been improved on rather than revolutionized. For example the German machine gun MG42 (and its variants) from WW2 is still in use today, and its performance stacks up with most modern weapons, in fact the more modern version (MG3) fires slower.

The changes since the 60s have been largely cultural and demographic, but as you say there is no single "cause" but firearms ownership certainly isn't one of them.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Another gun shooting this time in Parramatta Sydney.
A police officer killed by another disaffected, inadequate if not pathetic young male. This time a Muslim of sorts.

Legalize gun ownership. I don't think so.

We need to ban young men (15-45). They are simply too dangerous.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Here's something else for everyone to have fun with:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-02/gun-laws-chart-barack-obama/6822342

Great graph. Shows how insignificant gun crime is compared to the real threat of terrorism.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:13 pm

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:
79% of them are white males.

78% of the US population is white. What point are you trying to make exactly? Razz

Way to go! When you screw a pooch, do it big time. Think it through, david. 39% of the male population is white, your 78% figure is meaningless.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Have you been having a few*, Tannin? That's some atrocious maths. Laughing

*Not that I'm in a position to judge after last night. Or this morning. I forget which one it was.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Another gun shooting this time in Parramatta Sydney.
A police officer killed by another disaffected, inadequate if not pathetic young male. This time a Muslim of sorts.

Legalize gun ownership. I don't think so.

Since I have two 20 something daughters, I'll second that!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:21 pm

watt price tully wrote:

You say this stuff as if it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but sometimes I get the impression that you sincerely have a prejudice against the male gender.

Of course men are massively over-represented in gun crime statistics, just as they are in all other violent crime. But shouldn't we be trying to understand what's causing this dysfunction rather than throwing out glib comments that essentially amount to "men are bad"?

Indigenous over-representation in crime statistics requires careful, compassionate analysis, not vilification. The same ought to go for other demographics.

think positive wrote:
Since I have two 20 something daughters, I'll second that!

Perhaps if you both had sons you would feel differently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: