Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

(Certain) artists denied entry into Australia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Now he has broken the law by coming to the country illegally. Why isn't he on Manus Island or Nauru? That would be more consistent with your argument about race / colour / ethnicity.

Fair point. Can anyone explain what the difference is, apart from the transportation method? Perhaps he would have to go into some sort of detention if he refused to return home.

Well, it would be a fair point if the difference was not obvious. Manus Island and Nauru are offshore processing centres for asylum seekers, aren't they ?
He's not (I assume) claiming asylum, so you just refuse entry at the port and turn him round and send him home at his cost or the airline's. And quite rightly, too - anyone who advocates violence against people carrying out a lawful activity should be denied a visa.

I think the language is illegal arrivals but I'm happy to be corrected.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:20 am

So, anyone think Chris Brown should jump on the next flight to Melbourne? Laughing

Perhaps he can bring Tyler the Creator and Waka Flocka Flame along for the ride. That would be some real gangsta shit.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:20 am

let me google that for you Laughing

"There are two classifications for irregular arrivals: Illegal Maritime Arrivals (IMAs; prior to 2013 the term "Irregular Maritime Arrivals" was used) and Non-IMAs (those arriving in Australian territory without a visa by non-maritime means, such as by air). In the 201112 period, the number of IMAs was greater than the number of Non-IMAs for the first time."
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:23 am

David wrote:
So, anyone think Chris Brown should jump on the next flight to Melbourne? Laughing

Perhaps he can bring Tyler the Creator and Waka Flocka Flame along for the ride. That would be some real gangsta shit.

The only reason I know of Tyler the Creator is his hilarious tweet about cyber bullying.

Wouldn't have you pegged as a rap fan David, personally I haven't been into that stuff since NWA's Copkiller.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

...and you'd be right. I have fairly eclectic music tastes (from '60s prog through to '80s new wave to random stuff like Crystal Castles, The Drones and Neutral Milk Hotel). The only defining feature is that if you put all these bands together the room would be whiter than a Klan meeting.

Not sure that's something to be proud of. Razz

Last edited by David on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Now he has broken the law by coming to the country illegally. Why isn't he on Manus Island or Nauru? That would be more consistent with your argument about race / colour / ethnicity.

Fair point. Can anyone explain what the difference is, apart from the transportation method? Perhaps he would have to go into some sort of detention if he refused to return home.

Well, it would be a fair point if the difference was not obvious. Manus Island and Nauru are offshore processing centres for asylum seekers, aren't they ?
He's not (I assume) claiming asylum, so you just refuse entry at the port and turn him round and send him home at his cost or the airline's. And quite rightly, too - anyone who advocates violence against people carrying out a lawful activity should be denied a visa.

I think the language is illegal arrivals but I'm happy to be corrected.

probably a bit of both. Wikipedia (hmm...) says Manus island is for "Unlawful maritime arrivals (boat people without documentation seeking asylum in Australia)". In any event, I don't really think that the cases are comparable in any meaningful way. Confused

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 am

Wokko wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Wokko, normally I'd agree with you on this, but since he has called for doctors who perform abortions to be "executed", I think we are at the limits of free speech with this character. He might not be here to bomb an abortionist, but there is a good chance he'll enjoin others who are here to do so. I don't accept that from mad mullahs and I don't think we should accept it from pathological pastors, either.

So he advocated capital punishment for those he sees to be committing murder? Sounds like the same thing that plenty of people around here have advocated too. If he incited violence then he'd be guilty of a crime and deported, and I'd be 100% fine with that. That's not why he's been denied entry though.

This whole episode for me comes under "I disagree with what you say, but I shall defend unto death your right to say it".

cf "the right to free speech does not extend to the right to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre".

In that regard, he allegedly said that the women who underwent terminations were guilty of murder, and doctors who performed the termination should be "executed" (he didn't even mention murder or trial or anything else in their case...) "in order to expunge the bloodguilt from the land". That's mad mullah, fatwa stuff, inciting violence in my book. I don't think anti-abortionists are barred from Australia, but this type of crypto-incitement should certainly be.

Last edited by Mugwump on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 am

What does the same thing that plenty of people here have advocated too sound like?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Anti-abortion activist loses High Court appeal and will be deported

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anti-abortion-activist-loses-high-court-appeal-and-will-be-deported/ar-AAf1o8c?li=AA4RE4

Very Happy GOOD!!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Anti-abortion activist loses High Court appeal and will be deported

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/anti-abortion-activist-loses-high-court-appeal-and-will-be-deported/ar-AAf1o8c?li=AA4RE4

Very Happy GOOD!!!

Great news, he broke the law & the law won Very Happy Very Happy

Anyways he's free to terrorize other women who are going through a hard enough time as it is without these dangerous morons.

They should be allowed to protest but keep it 1 km from fertility control clinics - preferably on a busy freeway . Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Hopefully someone tells this guy about video conferencing, then he can do his talks anyway. Laughing

Also I made an enormous error, Copkiller was of course by Bodycount, which was Ice-T's Metal band rather than NWA which was Ice Cubes rap outfit.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I wonder how long he will be kept in detention awaiting deportation, I have read/heard of people being detained for months
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:18 pm

^ immigration are trying to get him on a 6pm flight tonight PP.

And even better the Court has ordered he has to pay the Commonwealth's costs Laughing

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I just keep flashing on Gough Whitlams remarks about retrospectivity in regards to an opposition member and a debate on abortion
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Ah the irony Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anti-Abortion Campaigner Furious at Government Removing His Right To Choose

I am in total shock that any civilised government would try and interfere in the personal choices I make for myself said Mr Newman. I am an adult male simply trying to choose what I do with my body and where my body travels to, and this government is taking the extraordinary step of trying to make those decisions for me. It is outrageous.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/10/01/anti-abortion-campaigner-furious-government-removing-his-right-choose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: