Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Covering retirements.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm
Post subject: Covering retirements.Reply with quote

Chris Rogers, Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin have all retired from Test cricket.

Joe Burns looks to be gaining on Shaun Marsh for Rogers' spot. Usman Khawaja, at 29ish, hasn't been able to step up but is the Oz A captain.

Mitch Marsh has already replaced Watto.

Peter Nevill has done well, as Had's replacement.

Clarke's spot, at #4 ? 32 y.o. Shaun Marsh ? Not really. 31 y.o. Callum Ferguson ? Same. A chance to introduce a young batsman. Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Nic Maddinson ?

Adam Voges has the #5 spot atm, but is no spring chicken.

Thoughts ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some will raise eyebrows at the mention of Maxy in the Test XI.

Stranger things have happened.

Dave Warner, for instance.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Good thread. I'll have to think carefully about this. Handscomb and Maddinson are the two who have caught my eye over the last 2 seasons but I haven't really seen enough of either of them to have formed a view about their fitness for Tests.

I don't doubt that Maxwell has all the necessary talent and it would be great to see him knuckle down and do it at Test level - the problem for him, I think, is that the financial rewards for doing what he does in the two shorter forms of the game are so great that there probably isn't much incentive to make the Test team.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:47 pm

I like Usman Khawaja's temperament. The perfect number 3 for where the Australian test team finds itself at the moment.
When he got his first chance at test level I thought he showed that he's good enough, without going on with it. Made lots of scores between 20-49, and was basically dropped for not scoring quickly enough.
Hopefully the selectors have learned a little bit from the Ashes and the UAE tour against Pakistan - you don't have to dominate an attack to put your team in a good position.

I'm not convinced about Joe Burns as a test opener, especially as a partner to Warner. I'd prefer someone that doesn't push so hard at the ball at the other end.
Rogers made a success of his "late-in-career" opportunity, what's wrong with looking at a Klinger??

I thought Steve O'Keefe outbowled Lyon in the first test against Pakistan last year, but was dropped for the second test. I hope he gets another chance.

My preferred Test XI for Bangladesh:
1 MKlinger
2 DWarner - OUT - SMarsh
3 UKhawaja
4 SSmith (c)
5 AVoges
6 MMarsh
7 PNevil (wk)
8 MStarc
9 SOKeefe
10 PSiddle
11 NLyon
12th man GMaxwell

Would like to see Glenn Maxwell in the squad as pressure on Mitchell Marsh's spot.
It's one or the other with Johnson and Starc. They both bowl some unplayable deliveries and spells, but they both mix it in with a lot of rubbish too. Can't play both, especially in the sub-continent. Starc gets the nod in SC because he's better at reverse swing.
Hazlewood is one that put himself down the pecking order with his Ashes performance. Far too wayward and inconsistent.

My preferred Test XI for the Australian summer:
1 MKlinger
2 DWarner
3 UKhawaja
4 SSmith
5 AVoges
6 JBurns
7 PNevil (wk)
8 JPattinson
9 MJohnson or MStarc (based on form at the time)
10 PSiddle or JHazlewood (based on form at the time)
11 NLyon
12th MMarsh

All-rounder required in sub-continent - but shouldn't need to be so desperate to play an all-rounder when not required to field for 2 days straight on a regular basis, only play one if he's genuinely good enough.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: