Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Would Harley fit in with the 'culture' ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mosig 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

No - for the main reason of media focus.

Think how scandal hunger everyone is for anything to do with Collingwood. Seriously, if Bennell came here there would be a permanent Bennell / Pies media team waiting for the slightest of slight f__ckups and our season would be derailed. PIES CULTURE IN CRISIS!!!! BENNELL CORRUPTED BY COLLINGWOOD!!!! BUCKS BACKS BAD BOY BENNELL!!!! BENNELL BITS BOY!!!! BENNELL DROVE PAST NIGHTCLUB!!!! ETC!!!!

Not to say I wouldn't love him in the team though... just can't justify that on all the other players.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:05 am

Bucks ruled it out on AFL 360. Given the Keefe/Thomas situation, we can afford it less both from a publicity and a list management perspective if we were to lose Bennell over another misdemeanour.

Let's chase Treloar - not as versatile a mark but quick, can get the pill and less problematic an influence

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:13 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
So Bucks clears the decks, gets his own team and then goes and gets a guy like Bennell? Wouldn't make sense. Seriously, is this bloke the sort of influence we want around our young stars of the future? What's next?

Slightly different scenario. Situation he faced when he took over as coach was about inherited and entrenched culture. He's now positioned himself to drive the club forward on his terms so adding a very talented problem child at this stage not so unrealistic.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

jackcass wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
So Bucks clears the decks, gets his own team and then goes and gets a guy like Bennell? Wouldn't make sense. Seriously, is this bloke the sort of influence we want around our young stars of the future? What's next?

Slightly different scenario. Situation he faced when he took over as coach was about inherited and entrenched culture. He's now positioned himself to drive the club forward on his terms so adding a very talented problem child at this stage not so unrealistic.

On AFL360 last night, Buck's ruled it out.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

On AFL360 last night, Buck's ruled it out.

Doesn't make my comment any less relevant.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Damn shame.

A tall, fast running 22 year old with great skills and 80 games of experience. Ticks every box we have as far as playing requirements goes. We are screaming out for his type and might even get him for a second rounder

But no... He took cocaine a while ago. I mean sure... half the comp is on it to one degree or another and those that aren't are probably either drunk or down at the TAB but this kid took dickhead powder so we won't have a bar of him. That we also get a chance to get all high and mighty and judgmental is just a bonus.

No... we should keep recruiting nice, upright, well mannered NQRs like Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keeffe. Then we can get all shocked... SHOCKED... when they don't conform to our stereotypes

Meanwhile, Taylor Adams, who if I remember correctly has been banned from all pubs in Geelong and who just last summer had an altercation with security like Coco did, will one day make our leadership group
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm

I'd certainly grab him. He is exactly what we need and doesn't seem too much of a trouble maker - afl standard.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 pm

roar wrote:
I'd certainly grab him. He is exactly what we need and doesn't seem too much of a trouble maker - afl standard.

Has the Footy Talent but you can never trust him away from the Footy Club

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:26 pm

No. Definitely no.

He would fit into the Dawks culture tho, punching people, punching holes in plaster wall of MCG coaches box, swearing at kids under 9 games, drink driving, players continually reported (but only bloody fined). Bennelll is ready made for their culture and low level of integrity.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Has immense talent, but sadly the attitude is not there.
I think he is too much of a risk.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:55 pm

mattdally wrote:
Has immense talent, but sadly the attitude is not there.
I think he is too much of a risk.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Yep this. In the past I have certainly advocated the club taking risks with players but I draw the line on Bennell. Just too risky to have around young, impressionable talent. St Kilda or the Scum will be a great fit for him to do his usual stuffing up.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:24 pm

"Has he a footy Brain?" - Dermie

www.facebook/the hybernators
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

A young bloke who made a couple of bad choices doesn't deserve another chance?

Krakouer did time in prison. He was great for us.

We've promised to rookie list Keeffe and Thomas who were both older than Bennell when they decided to do drugs.

The kid can seriously play. I'd be prepared to back our system to get the best out of him.

It'll be the same system that Keeffe and Thomas were involved in.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

A young bloke who made a couple of bad choices doesn't deserve another chance?

Krakouer did time in prison. He was great for us.

We've promised to rookie list Keeffe and Thomas who were both older than Bennell when they decided to do drugs.

The kid can seriously play. I'd be prepared to back our system to get the best out of him.

No Stui. This guy is a serial offender. He is real trouble. Matty Lloyd on FC tonight said that Bennell was sacked on a trip as a 17 yo footballer (Ireland?) where Lloyd was present. That was 5 years ago. The boy doesn't learn. I don't want him and I would be horrified if we even smelt this rose. Unsurprisingly, Bucks said tonight that the Club does not see him as part of our future. Essendon however is keen! Let the Bombers take him; their culture is stuffed anyway.

Not everyone matures at the same rate. I know a couple of 25 year olds who've only just got their shit together very recently after making repeat mistakes for years.

At bare minimum I think he'd be worth interviewing.

I saw Bucks say last night on 360 that he didn't see the kid as part of our plans, but he also said he doesn't know the kid at all and therefore is making assumptions from afar.

I can't remember if it was Bucks or Dunstall who said that some people are enamoured with the lifestyle of being an AFL footballer but aren't prepared to put in the work needed. Bucks is one bloke who never stinted on the work so he's going to be a hard marker on effort.

For mine, definitely worth a look.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 pm

He allegedly "slapped a cigarette out of a bouncer's hand". Good on him, damn smoker was probably waving the thing in his face.

Seriously he may have been drunk, but if this was all he did we should try and get him (if he can sit through leading teams meetings)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: