Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Many of the 'boat people' you refer to are refugees and have been conclusively found to be. Deal with it.

That's true, many have been "conclusively" found to be refugees. That the current convention considers people to be refugees in Australia when they have travelled from as far away as Iraq and Afghanistan, bypassing many safe (and culturally closer) countries on the way in search of their preferred refugee destination, tells you much about the absurdity of the current convention, and the way it has been manipulated to aid illegal immigration.

I do not blame the people seeking a better life, and I wish people could live where they want amid opportunity and security, as we do - but that is not the world we live in. If we do not control our borders, an industrial rate of uncontrolled migrant influx, orchestrated by people smugglers, will destroy the very peace, security and welfare that the refugees seek.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:50 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
^ Many of the 'boat people' you refer to are refugees and have been conclusively found to be. Deal with it..

They well may be, (many aren't) but they chose to try to come here by boat, after already escaping persecution, and were treated accordingly unlike the majority of refugees who we accept every year.

Lumping them in the same basket is a straight out bullshit marketing exercise to push an agenda.

Deal with it.

Well, first of all, I'm not sure why you've felt the need to bring this up in the midst of a discussion about our country's voluntary refugee intake. Nobody in this thread that I can recall (that's a hunch; I'm not game to go through 64 pages to check!) has been conflating these issues in any way up until now.

But if your complaint is that we call the refugees on Manus Island and Nauru refugees, well, what do you want me to say?

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1617/Quick_Guides/Offshore#_Percentage_of_asylum_1

Quote:
As at 31 October 2016, of the 822 people who have had their claims for asylum assessed by the PNG Government, 675 (82 per cent) had been found to be refugees.

So, unless you have some information to the contrary, stop hedging your bets with statements like "they well may be". This isn't a point of conjecture. Australia's refugee policy is to voluntary take in a certain number of refugees and to indefinitely imprison those refugees (and non-refugees) who come of their own accord. What is so hard to understand about that?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:06 am

Proud Pies wrote:

Oh yes, the Veterans' are all doing exceptionally well, whilst they are left to rot after fighting for our country. The 'newest' lot of veterans have it harder than your Nan (no disrespect for her, my mother is also a War Widow)
The following was posted 2 days ago on Facebook by Soldier On. Have a read David and tell me how good the Veterans have it. Many of them ARE the homeless!

As I said above, I was referring solely to the welfare benefits and services that veterans are entitled to:

http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/benefits-and-payments/veterans

It's possible that even all this may not be adequate compensation for the war injuries or PTSD that many have suffered. But we need to remember when we hear reports of veterans taking their own lives or becoming homeless that these rates may not necessarily be significantly higher than those in the rest of the community. Here's an analysis of some of the reportage on this issue from the US, where veterans' welfare and mental health is often discussed in a similarly emotive way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/02/04/the-missing-context-behind-a-widely-cited-statistic-that-there-are-22-veteran-suicides-a-day/?utm_term=.b69657faef08

I'm all for veterans' advocacy groups arguing for a better deal, and I'm not necessarily opposed to an additional pension for those who have served the country overseas (along with, of course, support for those who have had negative health or employment outcomes as a result). But what I do oppose is policy being formed on the basis of emotion instead of facts, and this is a constant problem when it comes to the topic of veterans. The tabloids certainly beat this drum the hardest; it's just a shame that their concern for veterans' future traumas seems to dwindle when it looks like there might be a jolly good war to get behind.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Red Bull Chief Blasts Mass Migration and Forced Multiculturalism in Europe.

Red Bull chief Dietrich Mateschitz, considered as Austria’s richest man has criticized the open border policy of most nations in Europe and the political correctness as he pointed out that these policies are destroying the true cultural diversity of Europe.

https://newsline.com/red-bull-chief-blasts-mass-migration-forced-multiculturalism-europe/

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 pm

^ Broadly true. It's not just immigration, though that is a major part of it. It is also mass tourism and global capitalism.

Aside from architecture, anywhere in Europe feels much like anywhere else in Europe nowadays ; the buildings change, but the culture and the street life is increasingly homogenised on the surface and then fragmented underneath. The old Paris, Berlin, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, even London, are all gradually being blended into a global cultural blank.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Who or what is architecture in Europe feels much like else in Europe ; the buildings change but the culture and the street life is homogenised and then fragmented?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ Broadly true. It's not just immigration, though that is a major part of it. It is also mass tourism and global capitalism.

Aside from architecture, anywhere in Europe feels much like anywhere else in Europe nowadays ; the buildings change, but the culture and the street life is increasingly homogenised on the surface and then fragmented underneath. The old Paris, Berlin, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, even London, are all gradually being blended into a global cultural blank.

Yes - selfish perspective but I'm so glad I got to travel when that was not the case twas wonderful!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Girlfriend came over for lunch today, she's deputy head at a school with 90% Syrian refugees, she's says it's just terrifying the level of behaviour, disrespect to teachers, physical attacks, constant swearing at the teachers, walking out if class, I asked how they discipline them 'she's says what can we do? They've been through so much, that's what we get' five full tine staff members gave quit in the first term this year. Oh, and this us a primary school! Scary what we could be setting ourselves up for.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 am

Most immediate problem that comes to mind is, why is there a school that is 90% Syrian refugees? Unless it's some kind of transitional education / English-language classes? I hope it's the latter, because one presumes that once they enter the school system they will disperse a bit and be given the opportunity to integrate, while it will be much easier for teachers to manage the few who have serious behavioural problems.

It's social policy 101 that concentration of disadvantage in schools is a bad idea. If we're failing on that metric, then there's a big part of the problem right there.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am

It's smack in the middle of a settlement area, it's not a full public school, and parents are now choosing other schools because of the problems with the refugee kids and their parents. Class numbers are kept to around 23, which is very low, and yes they have have language and cultural classes, but you can't make the parents attend too, although the schools offers these classes to them as well as the kids.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:38 pm

^ It sounds like a mess all round. Of course, they will insist on dumping new migrants in the outer suburbs...
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:01 am

MPs condemn domestic violence video.

Australia's political leaders have condemned a video produced by a radical Islamic group that condones domestic violence, describing hitting wives as 'a beautiful blessing'.

The video, posted on Facebook by Women of Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia, showed two women discussing men 'disciplining their disobedient wives' by striking them with a short stick, coiled scarf or piece of fabric

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics/federal/2017/04/13/mps-condemn-domestic-violence-video.html?ref=BP_HERO_SKY_islamic-womens-video-abhorrent_130417#sthash.dp3w2a5j.dpuf

This religion/ideology is the most dangerous thing to humanity.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 am

Of course, Syrian refugees invented wife-beating. Christians never, ever did that.

C'mon, Skids, stop insulting our intelligence.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:39 am

Can you remember any time that Christians did it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Of course, Syrian refugees invented wife-beating. Christians never, ever did that.

C'mon, Skids, stop insulting our intelligence.

Sorrydont agree with this. Christians would not be making a video saying it's in anyway ok. Maybe they once did think that way, I don't know, but not in this day and age, not for a very long time.

Wives are equal to husbands, no less no more, keep your $£$%^%%$ aggressive hands off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 64 of 74   

Jump to: