Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The point being that "they" may not have "planned" anything as such. However organised this was, we're still very much talking about petty crime gangs here, not some kind of Muslim conspiracy.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm

David wrote:
The point being that "they" may not have "planned" anything as such. However organised this was, we're still very much talking about petty crime gangs here, not some kind of Muslim conspiracy.

who mentioned Muslims? i thought this was a syrian refugee thread, are they all muslims? and does that matter? its the refugee part everyone is talking about not their choice of religion.

not planned? on this scale? how big are their gangs for gods sake!! Harlem is shaking!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Bigger than a pin.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:47 pm

David wrote:
Those of you who have been so quick to cast aspersions on the character of the boy's father ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Nah I reckon my aspersions were pretty spot on even if he gets away with it cause he is living outside Turkey in the Iraqi Kurdistan city of Erbil . Wonder why he didn't move his family here rather than risking and causing their death!

Not surprising that his sob story “I can’t leave Kobane,” “I want to be close to my family’s grave, to be able to visit them every day" - didn't last long!

ISTANBUL: The father of Aylan Kurdi, the Syrian toddler whose drowning shocked the world last year, went on trial on Thursday along with two alleged people smugglers accused of causing the death of migrants.

The trial of Syrian nationals Muwafaka Alabash and Asem Alfrhad opened at the criminal court in the western Turkish resort of Bodrum, the Dogan news agency reported. If convicted, they face up to 35 years in jail.

They are charged of smuggling migrants and causing the deaths of five people, including Aylan Kurdi, his brother and mother when their boat sank while on its way to Greece.

But also on trial in absentia was Aylan Kurdi’s father, Abdullah Kurdi, who survived the sinking of the boat, on accusations of being an organiser of the smuggling. The precise charges against him were not made clear.

Both of the defendants in court strongly incriminated Abdullah Kurdi as a well-known organiser of people smuggling in the Bodrum area, accusing him of being responsible for the deaths and driving the boat at the time of the disaster.

But Dogan said the court had decided to drop the legal proceedings against Abdullah Kurdi, without specifying further

“The real criminal here, the organiser, is Abdullah Kurdi, who became a hero on television but did not even testify,” said Asem Alfrhad in court.

Muwafaka Alabash said he had been told before coming to Bodrum to “‘find Abdullah Kurdi, he does the migrant smuggling’. I found him in Bodrum. Everyone knew him. His collected money from his people.”

The court also heard testimony from Syrian refugee Emin Haydar, who witnessed and survived the sinking, and said that Abdullah Kurdi had been “driving the boat” at the time.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1045429/turkey-tries-father-smugglers-over-syrian-toddlers-death/

Hope he's enjoying the money he made!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:04 am

Maybe you would have done the same in his shoes. Who knows?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:57 pm

David wrote:

Bullshite I know!

As I said at the time ALL evidence and reports show he was safe in Turkey for YEARS before - he was making money from the misery and desperation of others - mostly his own countryman - and he is responsible for many deaths including those of his own children - he's a scumbag pure and simple!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:24 pm

David wrote:

Answer belongs in the WTF thread!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 pm

So, it seems that he was a people smuggler, prepared to put people to sea in leaking boats with a high chance of death to make money. I haven't walked a mile in his shoes, but when there is that much filth on the soles, I think it is better not to.

In a sense this is trivial stuff - any of us might have been concentration camp guards, given the right background and indoctrination. The only way to strive against that kind of predestination is to hold people responsible for their actions. Perhaps this man, if he loved his children, has paid his price. But his actions, if they were as reported, are repugnant, and defending them as you did here, David, seems a route to a hellish place where no-one is responsible for anything.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 pm

What's repugnant to me is people who have the presumptuousness to think they can judge a man in his situation. One man's people smuggler is another man's emigration facilitator. You think life's a paradise for refugees in Turkey? You don't think they would appreciate any chance of finding a better life? Is it inherently immoral to provide that service and take money for it?

You could see him as an exploiter of the innocent, cruelly taking people's fortunes away and turning a blind eye to the dangers. But the fact that he put his own children on one of these boats suggests to me that that's not how he saw his job at all, and that he genuinely believed that the pros of getting on a boat far outweighed the risks. I'm not at all convinced that you, Morrigu or TP would not have done the same in his situation, because I see no reason to believe that any of you (or I, for that matter) are morally superior to him.

I don't know if a world without personal responsibility would be a hellish place, but I'm pretty sure that a Syrian refugee camp is one.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Ah, so you find "presumptuousness" which says that people are responsible for their actions more repugnant than making money by sending people out to die ?

This case may not be as reported, in which case the man deserves our sympathy for a terrible tragedy. But if he was running this show for profit, what exactly would he have to do to deserve your repugnance ?

Is he no worse than the people in a similar situation who did not choose to become death-trap magnates ?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:15 am

Before you continue to moralise, I'd like you to provide approximate answers for the following questions: 1) what percentage of refugees on boats in the Mediterranean died or required rescuing? 2) what percentage of refugees left behind in Turkey, regional refugee camps or Syria itself have died of related maladies (e.g. disease, starvation, malnutrition, violence)? 3) what is the quality of life for a refugee in Europe compared to that of one living in Turkey or in a camp, and given that, what is the cost/benefit analysis for an ordinary person considering embarking on this kind of dangerous trip?

Let us at least weigh up those questions before we start assessing the moral failings of people smugglers. That is to say, at minimum, let us demonstrate that they are doing more harm than good.

Edit: a reminder that people smuggling is far from unambiguously wrong:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wwii-resistance_wartime--people-smugglers--finally-feted-as-heroes/40929358

And yes, these were dangerous ventures that almost certainly cost lives.

Last edited by David on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 am

^ i don't know the answers to your questions, and they are good and fair questions. My starting point is that he is being prosecuted for running a people smuggling business. If he was running a humanitarian enterprise , then i will accept that the case is (as I wrote in my post) "not as reported". However, it does not seem from the arraignment that this is so.

Your questions seem to me relevant to the question of whether a parent is morally right to put his/her child on such a boat. Those are complex questions, and Judgement requires uance am sympathy. They are not relevant to someone running a business in unseaworthy traffic and making profit from exploiting the kinds of conditions in the camps that you imply.

"Moralising" is such a nasty word, but of course it is making a judgement about right and wrong, and no different to what you are (rightly) doing, here.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 am

If you consider the link in my (edited) post above, it's far from inconceivable that some of the people smuggling Jews to safety took payment for their services. This is far from uncommon in such situations, needless to say. I think what that shows us is less about human greed than people not being in circumstances in which they can afford to be purely altruistic. Indeed, it may be the money that motivates them to do it in the first place – and if that happens to save lives, then all to the good. Those of us who live in a free market economy and charge for the most trivial of services can surely understand.

That is not to say that I think that there are no people smugglers who are cruel or manipulative or deceitful. I'm sure there are some who use their positions of power to fleece the vulnerable of their hard-earned money. If there is evidence that this man was one such person, we would have good reason to think that he acted unethically. Otherwise, the mere fact that he was a people smuggler gives us no clue as to his motivations or personal righteousness.

As for the accusation of moralising, I did not mean to cause offence; however, I do think that calling a disadvantaged person from a distant country in circumstances we can scarcely relate to a 'scumbag' (as Morrigu did) or a valid target for our 'repugnance' (as you implied) is indeed moralising, of the worst kind. I may have been guilty of doing that myself (I don't believe I am in this instance), but it's certainly something I would try to avoid.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 am

^ fair points David. I think the critical thing here is that anyone who put
Jews to sea in unseaworthy boats for profit is not too far above the Nazis. Providing a service for a profit is not in itself immoral. What is immoral is making profits from exploiting others' weakness and providing a service that runs a high risk of horrible death.

The world is a complicated place, and when we know the precise facts - as far as they will ever be known - we may make a judgement about Mr Kurdi. People smuggling in boats likely to capsize, however, seems to me a vile trade. We should not make too many excuses for those who engage in it.

The "stop moralising" thing is just a word that we get used to on the right, though the moralising is at least as thick (and I'd say usually thicker) on the other side. I did not take offence, just wanted to point that out. Cheers.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:35 am

Mugwump wrote:
I think the critical thing here is that anyone who put
Jews to sea in unseaworthy boats for profit is not too far above the Nazis. Providing a service for a profit is not in itself immoral. What is immoral is making profits from exploiting others' weakness and providing a service that runs a high risk of horrible death.

I don't understand this argument. Do you really think that the act of saving a person from an environment in which they face a (say) 90% chance of death by gassing, and putting them on a vessel in which they face a (say) 5% of death by drowning, becomes an act nearly as immoral as mass genocide once money changes hands? Surely you don't believe that. Are you saying that the people in the article I posted (at least one of whom did take money) did not act heroically? Morrigu and Think Positive, what do you think?

The cost/benefit analysis in this case is probably much more complicated. But, as I wrote above, I think you'd at least want to have some sense of what those relevant percentages and other nuances are here before coming down on the side of condemnation, particularly when those details are the only real difference between someone being a hero or a 'scumbag'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 42 of 74   

Jump to: