Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seemed apparent to me from the beginning that this was more of a group mugging exercise, with the even more unfortunate addition of systematic, opportunistic sexual assaults thrown into the bargain. Religious belief/cultural values may have played little to no role or might have been a factor. I don't want to be alarmist about this, but hundreds of women reporting sexual assault in one place in one night is pretty shocking, don't you think?

As for me "fearing being wrong", WTF? As you surely know, I come at this from the position of someone who has consistently and vigorously argued against demonisation of refugees and called for allowing in high numbers of refugees. I did not want this to be true; I hoped that it was a beat-up or that media reports were misleading. I've read reports now from a range of relatively trusted news sources and they all told more or less the same story, which is that something very unusual and awful happened on that New Year's Eve in Cologne.

I hope that more detailed analysis of the nature and extent of the crimes emerge, but in the meantime I'm going to work from the basic premise (and the same premise that I follow in every other case) that respected news outlets are presenting us with reasonably reliable facts here – and not try to explain it away, because that would be intellectually dishonest.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Sexual assaults during the German Carnival this year have doubled.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/02/06/reported-sex-assaults-more-than-double-at-cologne-carnival/

"refused to state the ethnic and national origin of the 190 people arrested at the carnival"

I don't know how anyone can blame the media for this, the media in Germany have made a systematic effort along with authorities to obfuscate the identity of the attackers, both on New Years Eve and now. The fact that the information got out anyway and had to be addressed doesn't make it some 'Right Wing' conspiracy, on the contrary, the anti-Immigration movement (which is neither left or right so cut that shit out), has had to fight like crazy to get any negative news about these 'refugees' out to the public. Facebook in Germany has been deleting negative comments about Refugees, if there's a conspiracy here it's not on the anti immigration side.

Pegida marches in the UK
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/02/06/pegida-uk-marches-in-complete-silence-through-birmingham/

Thousands march in Dresden
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/02/06/pictures-thousands-join-pegida-march-in-dresden/

The fact that 1000s of people are braving the social ostracism and attacks that follow those who don't want to accept the PC narrative is quite telling. This issue has crossed the 'extremist' boundary and is entering the mainstream. Ironically this has given rise to a reborn Nationalism in Europe, something almost unfathomable 20 years ago. The Progressive left has overextended itself and its narrative, time to turn this mass migration ship around or Europe could be burning again within our generation's lifetime.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Did rise to a reborn Nationalism in Europe something unfathomable 20 years ago keep it?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:35 pm

To everyone else it just looks like the radical right getting organised and gaining power, Wokko. Not sure where you get the idea that the anti-immigration/anti-Muslim lobby transcend the political spectrum. These people will gleefully conflate refugee violence with terrorism and hysterically warn about 'invasion' every chance they get; it's just part of the same old narrative for them. You won't have to look for very long to see the skinheads.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:45 pm

The (non progressive) left are the ones who focus on losing jobs to migrants and over taxing of the welfare state. The left-right dichotomy is one of Statism and economics, the skinheads/racists/whatevers have their own beef and I'd hesitate to suggest they have any particular political affiliation at all.

Lets not get into where Nazis sit on the Left/Right scale because there's enough thread splits around here already Laughing
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 pm

David wrote:
It's seemed apparent to me from the beginning that this was more of a group mugging exercise, with the even more unfortunate addition of systematic, opportunistic sexual assaults thrown into the bargain. Religious belief/cultural values may have played little to no role or might have been a factor. I don't want to be alarmist about this, but hundreds of women reporting sexual assault in one place in one night is pretty shocking, don't you think?

As for me "fearing being wrong", WTF? As you surely know, I come at this from the position of someone who has consistently and vigorously argued against demonisation of refugees and called for allowing in high numbers of refugees. I did not want this to be true; I hoped that it was a beat-up or that media reports were misleading. I've read reports now from a range of relatively trusted news sources and they all told more or less the same story, which is that something very unusual and awful happened on that New Year's Eve in Cologne.

I hope that more detailed analysis of the nature and extent of the crimes emerge, but in the meantime I'm going to work from the basic premise (and the same premise that I follow in every other case) that respected news outlets are presenting us with reasonably reliable facts here – and not try to explain it away, because that would be intellectually dishonest.

Of course you are correct, David, on all the available evidence and testimony. PTID's extenuations and denials on this are propaganda - it is inconvenient that it be true, so truth must serve politics. The facts are that well over a hundred people - mostly women - reported being mobbed and molested by people who did not speak German or English, mostly in a bid to distract them in order to steal personal valuables. The police and city officials were first absent and then cowardly in their response to the matter.

That very poor people from distressed and alien backgrounds should do this is neither surprising nor a cause for hatred towards them. Any group of Angle-European young males pitched with no resources into a middle eastern society, would soon spawn sub-groups which would offend the social mores of the receiving country, and engage in acts of crime. The problem is the policy that allowed this to happen, and with the behaviour, not with immigrants in general. They are no better or worse than us - perhaps in many cases better for their courage in seeking a better life - but en masse, human beings from alien cultures with few resources bring real problems.

Anyone who questions whether even moderate scale immigration has been beneficial for Europe should spend a few hours in the banlieus of Paris, or around Gare du Nord, or Stazione termini in Rome. The evidence of social displacement and depression, and all that goes with it in terms of crime and squalor, is undeniable. The idea of increasing the rate and pace to please some humanist fantasy is dire folly.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:17 pm

David wrote:
You won't have to look for very long to see the skinheads.

Or you could try looking with both eyes and see how many " not skinheads" " just everyday citizens" are voicing their opinions and thoughts - not far right, not Neo nazis, not racists, just concerned everyday citizens as they are living with the consequences of uncontrolled mass migration of mainly young men from a vastly different culture with entrenched out dated views about women!

I'm guessing you and the ideologue apologists are not subjected to or don't actually know anyone ( especially females) who are living in the communities where their freedoms and lives have been actually impacted eh?

Idealogy is a wonderful thing when held at arms length from reality Rolling Eyes

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Of course you are correct, David, on all the available evidence and testimony. PTID's extenuations and denials on this are propaganda - it is inconvenient that it be true, so truth must serve politics. The facts are that well over a hundred people - mostly women - reported being mobbed and molested by people who did not speak German or English, mostly in a bid to distract them in order to steal personal valuables.

But you showing a critical respect for the facts is a step forward, whether you realise it or not.

I am questioning the "rape epidemic" discourse, and similar mischiefs, because they are clearly a dangerous and unethical effort at mob incitement. Now, you've explained things *very carefully* above. If everyone explained things that carefully, I wouldn't need to waste time pulling apart the BS and inconsistencies.

And, contra your implicature, that's all I've done, so don't mislead people. It's a pity others lack the discipline you have shown here, and you hadn't wasted so much time getting it right.

On Rome, yes I stayed at the Termini and it was disquieting. I sent suspected underclass immigrants away from a gate I had the key to and told them I had no authority to let them into a building. Definitely a bit scary. But no, neither myself nor the beloved were raped or molested.

But did you also see the ghost town stations which looked like they hadn't been cleaned and maintained for years? They were just as creepy. Nothing to do with peasant immigrants, either; rather, economic mismanagement which caused the GFC. Eye sores devaluing a great city, a bit like the state of Dublin's streets.

But the problem here, like the inexplicable and bizarre absence of police in the Cologne City Square on NYE, or even a Reading Central after dark, is mismanagement. Refugees spilling into your country because there is chaos in adjacent countries? Welcome to globalisation and get used to your own action and inaction having consequences. Not preparing for reality? That's your own responsibility. Not being able to rein in useless military spending or raise taxes to create a decent society? That's also your own responsibility.

Much like you finally using very careful and fair language here, it will also take you a while to accept the need for careful and fair overseas actions by influential players you identify with, and for those with resources to contribute more to their societies in order to help them cope with the challenges of globalisation. But I have faith you'll get there, eventually.

Edited.

Last edited by pietillidie on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 am

^ PTID perhaps i'd need to read your posts again, but my impression was that you were suggesting it was likely - based on your world cup experience - that native Germans were the ones doing the groping and sexual harassment, where i think it's pretty clear that these were mobs of the rootless young men who make up the bulk of the immigrant statistics. Whether it was done for sexual/misogynistic reasons or as a ruse for theft seems to me important, but secondary to the main issue : Young women should not be assaulted and thieved from, amd placed under conditions of great stress in their own cities because of the acts of a political elite who are surrounded by bodyguards and chauffeured limousines.

I can agree with you re economic mismanagement and the GFC. That is obviously true, though one can argue over the causes and consequences. But the idea that france or the UK do not raise enough taxes to manage a decent society when the government appropriates around 50% of GDP is ipso-facto untrue.

There probably is no society on earth which has ever had it better than we have it now, in Australia or the UK. Peace, security, universal health care, record longevity, vast access to information, free education to age 18 and subsidised to 22, relatively uncorrupt politics, freedom to say and think almost anything we please, and generally pleasant civic spaces. Lots of problems, mostly to do with low-level crime and disorder, asset inequality and sustainability of the model, ; but our political structures and economics are still the template for making a good society. Why would anyone want to imperil it with the destabilising effects of mass immigration, against the will of the people ?

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 am

^I was just cautioning on the definitions and the very particular context of Cologne on NYE - words such as "groped" can mean anything in drunk public festivals. Bodily contact for theft, bad enough in its own right, also warrants careful wording.

And bizarrely and inexplicably remove cops from the equation? The result won't look great with or without underclass peasants. Dortmund and Cologne were genuinely scary during the World Cup. In Dortmund, glass covered every inch of public walkway in a matter of hours when Germany played Poland. If there were not hundreds of arrests that night and ten times as many complaints, I'll be buggered.

If we wanted to make a "fair" speculation, if there is such a thing, we might guess several agendas have combined here: The local police arse covering genuinely bad policing; racists and racist opportunists overplaying the chance to sink the boot in; the government downplaying incidents and difficulties; vague wording being mischievously used by the media; immigrants being inappropriately incentivised and educated; web debaters grabbing whatever works, etc.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:19 am

Mugwump wrote:
Why would anyone want to imperil it with the destabilising effects of mass immigration, against the will of the people ?

Because the inability to deal with the situation productively, with global people movements expected to increase in 2016, is a far bigger problem than adjusting to these eminently manageable policing and social integration problems.

It's a matter of responsible leadership, in complete contrast to much more narrow, temporal concerns. This is why we try to elect someone worldly and competent, with the global scope and discipline to endure short-term political pain in aid of smart long-term decisions. Germany is lucky Merkel has both political capital and a budget surplus to work with (and yes, as discussed, they owe Europe for their Euro windfall).

At least now by facing people movements, Germany gets to cost the choices facing the country; you pay here, or you pay abroad; you pay via police or you pay via the war machine; you pay on the basis of local challenges, or you pay on the basis of global challenges; you pay by retreating to an inward nationalism, or you pay by managing a dynamic globalisation as best you can.

Instability is a feature of a world in transition. Just look at oil prices and oil industry jostling causing havoc as anticipated. This is hardly a surprise and it's the tip of the iceberg.

Learning how to cope with change, developing resilience, and becoming more agile of attitude will be worth gold in this new context.

Sadly, if you go back through the Nick's archives, some of us called for Australia to make asylum seekers an international matter years ago, and to lead on this, and to seek a new global political consensus way back during the asylum seekers debate. A further chance then arrived as the problem hit Europe. But no; all we saw was the Refugee Convention being mocked, much like the UN was mocked to justify the invasion of Iraq.

Instead of responsible leadership from Australia; not a thing was learned; no resilience was built; no new techniques and solutions were developed for the good of a planet under demographic stress; rather, hysteria, short-termism and irresponsibility were rewarded.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:57 am

We may indeed "pay now, or we pay later". The question, however, is not only how much we pay and when, but what we buy with what we pay.

Defence of our borders against unlawful intrusion and effective internal security against enemies may be costly ; but it is the minimum that we should expect of our governments. Fortunately Australia, helped by geography, has been fairly resolute in that understanding.

In any rational world, sovereign nations must be responsible for their own social, economic and political health, and what happens to them is pretty much beyond our control. To subscribe to paying at all for things over which you have no control is, as every adult instinctively knows, foolish. To imagine otherwise is to undermine the principle of political adulthood and responsibility that is essential to effective governance and human progress.

All the rest - "coping with change", "resilience" and "instability is a feature" is merely descriptive rhetoric. It says nothing about the important questions - how you manage change and how you foster resilience. Fortunately the people know that you achieve no resilience by indiscriminately flooding your country with people who cannot speak your language, who cherish their own traditions above yours, and who demand public services now that they have not contributed toward in the past - they know that all this is a recipe for chaos and decline, not resilience.

I have no idea what "making asylum seekers an international matter" means, but if it means again surrendering control over your sovereignty to people who do not have your interests at heart, it would also be a very foolish, not to mention dangerous, thing to do. See Europe, which has more-or-less done just this.

Lastly, the budget surplus of Eur 13 billion which you seem to prize so highly should be set against the ~3 Trillion Eur in German government debt. 13 Billion surplus achieved this year via unsustainable trading arrangements in the Eurozone represents 0.4% of the total public debt in Germany ! Better than Australia or Britain, certainly, but a footnote, and not the economic power-lift that you seem to think it is.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:20 am

David wrote:

Great post

Bloody scary. Doesn't matter what sex the victims were, it's a terrifying story. Such organised attacks. Takes planning. What else are they planning?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 am

^Whoa there. That's *not* careful language. David used the term "opportunistic", not "planned", so you're misusing his words.

No evidence aside from ad hoc milling and pretty obvious petty theft techniques the world over has been presented. Stick to the facts.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 am

Huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 41 of 74   

Jump to: