Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
Just went in to Leederville for a bite after dropping youngest daughter at the beebaa concert.

Sitting out the front of a pub and in the time I had one drink, I saw 5, yep 5 people picking up old ciggy butts from the street Shocked

We really need to look after our OWN people before we let anyone else in.
Pensioners can't afford to pay their power bills, our veterans are neglected and there's thousands sleeping on the streets.

How about we look after our own before we organise more tax cuts for big business. The trouble with neoliberalism is that it makes you think it has to be a choice between saving our poor and their poor, rather than actually doing something to alleviate poverty for as many people as possible.

So 100,000 plus people homeless (the last census) doesn't bother you much?
The billions we waste on refugees, while our own citizens sleep on the street and pick up ciggy butts, pensioners who can't pay their power bills, veterans who have fought for this country?.... wow Confused

We aren't the tooth fairy or Robin Hood.

The country goes deeper into debt and a chunk of our citizens are suffering... yeah, let thousands more in... makes heaps of sense Confused

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Looks like the voters of WA have embraced a more caring, gentler and refugee-friendly State.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 pm

And it's only going to get worse.....

Teacher quits after primary school students threaten to behead her

Frightened teachers at a Sydney primary school have revealed students are showing signs of extreme radicalisation at a young age, saying they have been traumatised by threats of beheading and other violent behaviour.

Source : channel 7 news

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Those bloody Neo-Nazis...OH WAIT Shocked
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 pm

All of them?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:
Skids wrote:
Just went in to Leederville for a bite after dropping youngest daughter at the beebaa concert.

Sitting out the front of a pub and in the time I had one drink, I saw 5, yep 5 people picking up old ciggy butts from the street Shocked

We really need to look after our OWN people before we let anyone else in.
Pensioners can't afford to pay their power bills, our veterans are neglected and there's thousands sleeping on the streets.

How about we look after our own before we organise more tax cuts for big business. The trouble with neoliberalism is that it makes you think it has to be a choice between saving our poor and their poor, rather than actually doing something to alleviate poverty for as many people as possible.

So 100,000 plus people homeless (the last census) doesn't bother you much?
The billions we waste on refugees, while our own citizens sleep on the street and pick up ciggy butts, pensioners who can't pay their power bills, veterans who have fought for this country?.... wow Confused

We aren't the tooth fairy or Robin Hood.

The country goes deeper into debt and a chunk of our citizens are suffering... yeah, let thousands more in... makes heaps of sense Confused

It's curious that you think that money is 'wasted' on refugees. Is the well-being of people from a different country a worthless concern for you? (It's ok, I already know the answer to that).

You claim to care about the homeless, but I'm guessing you'd be the first to call me a communist for proposing an inheritance tax, or bringing an end to negative gearing. If so, you're prioritising some guy's ability to travel to America on Aunty Mabel's money over a slightly higher welfare payment for someone else with a disability. And speaking of welfare, I don't recall you kicking up much of a fuss when Tony Abbott was proposing kicking young unemployed people off Centrelink for six months at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong on that; but I have to say I do have to question the sincerity of your views on this topic.

As for veterans, generally speaking they do better than most. My grandmother was able to live fairly comfortably off her war widow pension for years. I'm sure some are doing it tough, but talking about people who fought for our country in this context is just emotive nonsense. Anyone who's on the streets is worth helping whether or not they once picked up a gun.

This isn't a reality TV series where we have to vote off the people we care about less. Let's help homeless people and refugees and stop falling for the cynical lie that one can only be assisted at the expense of the other.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Can we also drop the cynical lie when we refer to Australian policy on refugees in general while specifically referring to those who try to come by boat?

We bring in plenty of refugees, we have a specific policy in place for those who pay smuggler to try to bring them in without ID.

They may both be refugees, but apples and tomatoes are both fruit.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

While it's not what we're currently discussing, Australia's detention policy is of course a key part of its broader refugee policy. Not sure what you're getting at here.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 pm

David wrote:
As for veterans, generally speaking they do better than most. My grandmother was able to live fairly comfortably off her war widow pension for years. I'm sure some are doing it tough, but talking about people who fought for our country in this context is just emotive nonsense. Anyone who's on the streets is worth helping whether or not they once picked up a gun

David sorry but is just about the ludicrous thing you have ever written!!

You have made it clear you have little respect for the miltary but seriously before posting such a nonsensical statement as " do better than most" really have a look at the evidence - the suicide rates , drug and alcohol issues, family breakdown, homelessness stats for Vets let alone the disgusting lack of services ( which have again been recently cut for PTSD) treatment, support and ridiculous red tape that Vets are now subjected to!!

Your quip about your nan living of a war widow pension is niave and flippant in the extreme!

Yes anyone on the streets are worth helping of course - but our politicians send our young men and women to wars on behalf of our country - they at a minimum should have the best services available to deal with the consequences of this - that's not emotive - it morally and ethically just!!!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 pm

I was picking on the cynical lie bit.

i'm sick of hearing people referring to people trying to come via boat by the generic term of refugees. By doing so, they deliberately (IMHO) claim that our overall treatment of refugees is bad, when that is a lie.

If Australia bans import of apples from NZ, that doesn't equate to Australia bans fruit imports from NZ.

Boat people are a specific category which both major parties have worked to stop. Rejecting boat people doesn't equate to mistreatment of all refugees.

I don't expect you to get the distinction.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 pm

^ Many of the 'boat people' you refer to are refugees and have been conclusively found to be. Deal with it. It certainly suits our government's interests to treat them as apples and tomatoes, but that is their construct and not a distinction that exists in many other countries.

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
As for veterans, generally speaking they do better than most. My grandmother was able to live fairly comfortably off her war widow pension for years. I'm sure some are doing it tough, but talking about people who fought for our country in this context is just emotive nonsense. Anyone who's on the streets is worth helping whether or not they once picked up a gun

You have made it clear you have little respect for the miltary but seriously before posting such a nonsensical statement as " do better than most" really have a look at the evidence - the suicide rates , drug and alcohol issues, family breakdown, homelessness stats for Vets let alone the disgusting lack of services ( which have again been recently cut for PTSD) treatment, support and ridiculous red tape that Vets are now subjected to!!

Your quip about your nan living of a war widow pension is niave and flippant in the extreme!

Yes anyone on the streets are worth helping of course - but our politicians send our young men and women to wars on behalf of our country - they at a minimum should have the best services available to deal with the consequences of this - that's not emotive - it morally and ethically just!!!!

It's not a 'quip', it's the truth she's done better than most people her age living on an old-fashioned pension. Of course I'm only talking about raw income and not quality of life; I have no doubt that they suffer greater rates of PTSD, disabilities and so on. I agree with compensation for whatever misfortune they have suffered on the battlefield, but beyond that I don't believe they should receive special treatment, no.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm

David wrote:
^ Many of the 'boat people' you refer to are refugees and have been conclusively found to be. Deal with it..

They well may be, (many aren't) but they chose to try to come here by boat, after already escaping persecution, and were treated accordingly unlike the majority of refugees who we accept every year.

Lumping them in the same basket is a straight out bullshit marketing exercise to push an agenda.

Deal with it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Every one?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:23 pm

oh yes David it is indeed a quip and a totally irrelevant one at that - your nan is not a Veteran is she ?? Yes a widow of war but not a Vet and it is they who are living on the streets and taking their own lives due to inadequate services and supports!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:

Oh yes, the Veterans' are all doing exceptionally well, whilst they are left to rot after fighting for our country. The 'newest' lot of veterans have it harder than your Nan (no disrespect for her, my mother is also a War Widow)
The following was posted 2 days ago on Facebook by Soldier On. Have a read David and tell me how good the Veterans have it. Many of them ARE the homeless!

Soldier On Australia
14 March at 17:15
STATEMENT FROM SOLDIER ON
Over the weekend we heard reports within the veteran community that another three veterans had tragically taken their own life last week.
There are no words to communicate how truly devastating it is to lose four veterans to suicide in one week alone.
Our thoughts and hearts go out to their family and friends.
In light of this heartbreaking news, Soldier On would like to remind veterans and their family members to seek support for mental health issues, if needed.
In the past, Soldier Ons Director of Psychology Services, Dr Michelle Buchholz has encouraged veterans and family members to seek support if they are thinking about or planning suicide. She reassures veterans that these feelings and thoughts can pass, and it is possible to start feeling better, especially with assistance and support.
Soldier On would like to remind you that you are not alone in your mental health battles. There are doctors and psychologists who are highly trained to work with people having difficulties in their lives, and do so every day. These health professionals genuinely want to help you start to feel better.
And it is not just mental health illnesses that doctors and psychologists can assist with; they also work with people who are stressed or having relationship difficulties or who are experiencing a bit of a rough patch in their lives but dont necessarily have a mental health condition.
Most importantly, we want to remind veterans and their family members that reaching out for support is not a sign of weakness. It takes courage to ask for a helping hand in life.
We see first-hand the difference support can make in the life of a veteran impacted psychologically from his or her time in the Defence Force. We know that support can work and bring relief.
Dr Buchholz says counselling is not just talking about your feelings.
Mental health professionals can help you to understand your symptoms, and show you that youre not going crazy and that there is a way forward.
"They also can help to teach you new skills to help improve and protect your mental health. These are skills that we dont tend to learn anywhere else in our daily lives, and can help you to deal with negative thoughts and feelings, and bring you out of dark places, says Dr Buchholz.
In addition to offering psychology services, Soldier On also offers employment and education support and activities that promote social connectedness, to combat mental health issues in the veteran community.
Attending a coffee catch up or a surfing weekend can be a great first step to overcoming mental health issues. And successfully transitioning from the Defence Force to the community can also mitigate or reduce triggers for mental health conditions.
There are lots of options for veterans who want to seek mental health support. See the list below.
Please stay safe. Please look after yourselves, and look out for each other.
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR VETERANS & FAMILIES
SOLDIER ON offers free psychology services in Sydney, Canberra, Currumbin, Melbourne and Perth. Please email psychology@soldieron.org.au for more information.
The VETERANS AND VETERANS' FAMILIES COUNSELLING SERVICE (VVCS) offers free services with counsellors and has a 24-hour contact number in case you need assistance outside of business hours. VVCS is contactable on 1800 011 046.
BEYOND BLUE can be contacted for support any time of the day or night and provide one-on-one chats with trained mental health professionals. Their number is 1300 22 4636.
LIFELINE provides crisis support and suicide prevention services and is contactable on 13 11 14.
Some RSLs provide mental health services, please check with your local sub branch.
MATES4MATES offers free psychology services in Townsville and Brisbane. Please visit their website for more information.
You can also speak to your GP who will be able to refer you to a suitable clinician.
For more mental health services available to veterans and families, please visit the 'Need Help?' page on our website - http://bit.ly/1evud58

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 63 of 74   

Jump to: