Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

'It all started with a shovel': how one VCE dux escaped a bloody war"

Saad Al-Kassab missed two years of school as mortars flew over his home in war-torn Syria.

He studied at home and sat his exams in cinemas and sports grounds while travelling through checkpoints in search of a better life.

On Monday he woke up to some incredible news. With an ATAR of 96.65, he had become the dux of Australia's largest senior Catholic school – Catholic Regional College Sydenham.

His VCE success story began with a simple garden tool.

His studies were disrupted by sad news from his hometown of Homs. Many of his friends have been killed in the bloody Syrian conflict.

His family were lucky to escape Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime. After his older brother was shot, arrested and tortured they fled to Beirut and then Cairo before arriving in Melbourne.

The 19-year-old hopes his VCE result helps him secure a place in either bio-medicine or medicine.

He wants to be a doctor so that he can give back to the Australian community.

"In Syria I witnessed so many people dying because there was no medical aid and no doctors to help. That was really heartbreaking to witness," he said. "It made me determined to be a doctor."

His father, a former sales manager for a pharmaceutical company, also works as a labourer at the Catholic school

http://www.theage.com.au/national/secondary-education-victoria/it-all-started-with-a-shovel-how-one-vce-dux-escaped-a-bloody-war-20161212-gt97tx.html

👍👏👏👏👏👏

Two years ago Saad Al-Kassab couldn’t speak English, but he had a novel way of teaching himself the new tongue.

“I would watch parliament, and question time,” he told SBS.

"In general, they speak slowly, to get the message across. It was not easy, but I was able to separate the words.”

It was also an opportunity to learn about his safe, new country.

“I find politics fascinating. Especially here, the democratic system,” he said.

“In Syria, all they do in parliament, is clap. So it was really fascinating for me to find out how the democratic system works.”

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/12/12/so-happy-and-so-pleased-school-dux-syrian-teen-refugee

Laughing Laughing Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Bloody Catholics.

nah, good luck to the kid, he has the right attitude.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:52 pm

^ Laughing

He'll make a fine doctor cause he isn't coming from privilege and has compassion and empathy not just the smarts!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:20 pm

^

He worked as a landscape gardener, I'd be surprised if more than 10 % of new medical intakes had ever picked a shovel up.

Are we allowed to say nice things about him, he doesn't appear to be Muslim. Razz

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:38 am

More than £600,000 of taxpayers' money is being spent every week so lawyers can give free legal advice to asylum seekers, figures showTotal of 38,000 asylum claim cases approved for free legal advice in one year
On average each asylum case costs taxpayer an average of nearly £900 each
Astonishing £8.2million spent on legal advice for 10,000 cases in three months

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4037186/More-600-000-taxpayers-money-spent-week-lawyers-free-legal-advice-asylum-seekers-figures-show.html#ixzz4SwuBnxBA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:44 am

^ I can only hope we have a similar system here. Good to see the Daily Heil on the case.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:46 am

Glad to hear it.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:49 am

Rampaging Syrian migrants KICK BABY on bus, then attack paramedics trying to treat child

Migrants hurled abuse at other passengers before a fight broke out, with four of the Syrian men using the handles on the bus to hoist themselves up and attack women and old people to try and drag them into the fighting, according to an eyewitness.

The migrants paid no attention to anyone in their way, at one point kicking a one-year-old in the face.

Paramedics were called and arrived on the scene to help the injured but the men began attacking them with belts - not letting up until the police were called.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/747942/Rampaging-Syrian-migrants-KICK-BABY-bus-attack-paramedics

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:51 am

What is that?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:54 am

Not saying it didn't happen, but we're not exactly dealing with the most reliable journalistic source here...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/713027/incredible-unseen-video-PROOF-aliens-HAVE-Britain

Of course, some or all of this story could be true (a couple of German newspapers have reported the incident but with some uncertainty as to the identity of the perpetrators or cause of the dispute). But if you're going to rely on your "refugees behaving badly" news from a tits'n'UFO rag, you can be assured that you're going to be getting unverified stories without context or journalistic integrity.

Blindly reposting that stuff is pretty irresponsible and only contributes to a climate of fear and xenophobia.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:58 am

David wrote:
Not saying it didn't happen, but we're not exactly dealing with the most reliable journalistic source here...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/713027/incredible-unseen-video-PROOF-aliens-HAVE-Britain

Of course, some or all of this story could be true (a couple of German newspapers have reported the incident but with some uncertainty as to the identity of the perpetrators or cause of the incident). But if you're going to rely on your "refugees behaving badly" news from a tits'n'UFO rag, you can be assured that you're going to be getting unverified stories without context. Blindly reposting that stuff is pretty irresponsible and only contributes to a climate of fear and xenophobia.

Oh yeah, sure. Look, Skids posted an article from a newspaper, let's all run for the hills. Laughing Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 am

You know precisely what you're trying to achieve here.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SK7To4gSr0

Dispute this....

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm

David wrote:

Yeah, I'm answering the question of the OP (none!) with facts on what will happen if we keep letting muslims in to Australia.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

Yeah, I'm answering the question of the OP (none!) with facts on what will happen if we keep letting muslims in to Australia.

NO, logically and rationally wrong.

You are answering the question with facts on what will happen if we keep letting terrorists into Australia. They could be Muslim, Hamas, Tamil Tiger, Sikh, Burmese, the new IRA, whoever but the problem per say is with terrorism, not necessarily the fact that they happen to be Muslims. I totally get the facts that recent terrorism happens to be from extremists from the Muslim faith but I still get really angry that daily multiple terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka and elsewhere 10 years ago perpetrated by the arsehole Tamil tiger terrorists were never ever given the very same publicity or comments. Again after a 25 year old Sri Lankan civil war, I realised that the problems were never with the decent Tamils but with the minority of Tamils who pushed their cause with terrorist acts that killed thousands, including two of my relatives and 7 of my friends. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Let’s just say no to terrorism which is the real problem perpetrated by selfish brainwashed bastards of all types of loony faiths, causes and aims.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 59 of 74   

Jump to: