Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it's so hard.

There are genuine refugees,
There are people who just want to go somewhere to get a better life
There are people who are crooks/areswipes/terrorist plants and a multitude of other undesirables who take the opportunity to disguise themselves as refugees.

Any potential host country should be looking to help the first group, consider those in the second group and keep out those in the third group. Any country who just opens the doors and lets anyone in is totally inviting trouble

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
Not denying that this could have happened, but one random blogger's anecdotal story proves what, exactly?

"A few days, when walking down the street, a few white Australians cornered me and threatened to beat me up. I'm not sure if we can live with these people any more. Share this story with everyone you know so that they'll realise white Australians are terrible."

Getting beaten up is a bit different to getting blown up or beheaded.

Indeed. And both are a lot different to what we're talking about right now. Of all the 1 million plus refugees and economic migrants entering Europe, we've managed to identify one who might have been involved in the Paris attacks. So even if this blog story is true, stop conflating refugee problems with terrorism. They're two completely different things.

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I don't know. This is the last video I saw featuring refugees trying to enter Europe. Where oh where are those women and children? Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/videos/703198736488303/?pnref=story

(BTW unaccompanied males can be refugees too, you know. You don't need to have a partner and family to be homeless or fleeing for your life.)

They are so good at fighting they should have stayed home and defended their country!

And that Facebook clip went nowhere! And you are using favebook as a source?

Al Jazeera news, actually. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you; it's a public page. I'm not saying that brief video is representative of anything, but I sometimes feel like you're talking about something that's very abstract to you (certainly, the "they should have stayed to fight" refrain shows you don't have much of a clue). That being so, some footage some faces is better than nothing. And certainly in the background of those shots, there are plenty of women, which suggests that the "they're all single young men" refrain is probably a gross exaggeration.

Wokko wrote:
Donald Trump's idea is setting up a safe zone in a Middle Eastern country for refugees instead of importing them into the west. While it's light on detail, I like the nascent plan. Better if it's not a huge open air prison camp, but I'd worry that's what the likes of Turkey or Saudi would do.

Yeah, no thanks. That's effectively what happened to the Palestinians in Jordan. A cursory glance at conflicts around the world will show that even the smallest border disputes can lead to decades of fighting; so I can't see any sovereign country being willing to cede part of its territory to a few million foreigners. Anyway, Trump, the guy aspiring to be President of one of the richest countries in the world, isn't even willing to take a few thousand so how's he going to strike that bargain without looking like a total hypocrite?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Wokko wrote:
Donald Trump's idea is setting up a safe zone in a Middle Eastern country for refugees instead of importing them into the west. While it's light on detail, I like the nascent plan. Better if it's not a huge open air prison camp, but I'd worry that's what the likes of Turkey or Saudi would do.

Nearly as good an idea as Trump's notion of building a wall along the southern border to keep Mexican rapists out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAPRDBBjX4

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 pm

David wrote:
Anyway, Trump, the guy aspiring to be President of one of the richest countries in the world, isn't even willing to take a few thousand so how's he going to strike that bargain without looking like a total hypocrite?

Facts. Familiarise yourself with them.

Trump said to stop Muslims coming in UNTIL they worked out a way to screen them properly.

Not a flat ban, just a hiatus.

Considering how the US has been a major target of Islamic extremists, I'd say it's a totally justified stance.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 pm

David wrote:
Of all the 1 million plus refugees and economic migrants entering Europe, we've managed to identify one who might have been involved in the Paris attacks. So even if this blog story is true, stop conflating refugee problems with terrorism. They're two completely different things.

Blatantly untrue - well established that 2 of the Paris bombers wandered in via Greece with the migrants ( who the hell they actually were is anyones guess) and the Istanbul bomber was registered as a Syrian refugee.

They may be in a philosophical sense two completely different things but they are entwined because the sheer numbers arriving are not allowing for adequate screening - fact!

" managed to identify" is the core of the problem!

You are so determined to refute any suggestion that there is a problem and blame everything on discrimination against the refugees and Muslims etc etc etc etc - like your outrage when one silly girl who didn't complete her travel documents was refused travel at the time to Australia!

Last edited by Morrigu on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:40 pm

Maybe
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:46 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Nearly as good an idea as Trump's notion of building a wall along the southern border to keep Mexican rapists out.

Oliver is an unfunny dick. That aside, Border walls are never effective are they?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Anyway, Trump, the guy aspiring to be President of one of the richest countries in the world, isn't even willing to take a few thousand so how's he going to strike that bargain without looking like a total hypocrite?

Facts. Familiarise yourself with them.

Trump said to stop Muslims coming in UNTIL they worked out a way to screen them properly.

Not a flat ban, just a hiatus.

Considering how the US has been a major target of Islamic extremists, I'd say it's a totally justified stance.

Many don't think it is justified at all, of course, and an indefinite hiatus is about the worst thing he could propose anyway (given that the next president would promptly roll such a policy back). But this is irrelevant as I'm referring to Trump's refusal to take Syrian refugees, not his threat to ban Muslims. Two completely different things and I'm not aware of any conditions being attached to that.

Morrigu, I don't think most people would consider Istanbul to be in Europe.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:16 am

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Oliver is an unfunny dick. That aside, Border walls are never effective are they?

You deliberately changed the argument Wokko & missed the point:

Trump stated:

It will only cost 6 billion then increases it to 12 billion over time as he realises what he said was blatantly wrong.

A simple analysis showed he has seriously underestimated the cost. Engineers have noted it will cost at least 35 billion plus without final costings.

You forgot to mention that a large part of the wall includes the minor river the Rio Grande -

many other details....

Using Israel's walls without comparing geography is a mistake

Israel is a tiny country whereas the Mexicans border is huge ? 10:1 ?20:1.

You made an attempt to talk about effectiveness:

Mexicans or people from Latin American's aren't planning on killing Americans as their raison d'tre the opposite of which is true for Palestinian muslim fundamentalists, ISIS & others. Nice try but falls short on fact & evidence.
Otherwise it was fine.

BTW, John Oliver is very funny but if you don't like him you don't have to call him names.

(I know some people are still smarting from his interview over guns in the US making gun advocates appear utterly stupid (enough rope) by their own words & using Australia as an example of the benefits of gun control - but that's another matter) Wink

In short Trump didn't think things through due to his machine gun style of sound bite rhetoric. He was simply being brought to account for his statements.

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:18 am

The wall just got 10 feet higher. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
Not denying that this could have happened, but one random blogger's anecdotal story proves what, exactly?

"A few days, when walking down the street, a few white Australians cornered me and threatened to beat me up. I'm not sure if we can live with these people any more. Share this story with everyone you know so that they'll realise white Australians are terrible."

Getting beaten up is a bit different to getting blown up or beheaded.

Indeed. And both are a lot different to what we're talking about right now. Of all the 1 million plus refugees and economic migrants entering Europe, we've managed to identify one who might have been involved in the Paris attacks. So even if this blog story is true, stop conflating refugee problems with terrorism. They're two completely different things.

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I don't know. This is the last video I saw featuring refugees trying to enter Europe. Where oh where are those women and children? Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/ajplusenglish/videos/703198736488303/?pnref=story

(BTW unaccompanied males can be refugees too, you know. You don't need to have a partner and family to be homeless or fleeing for your life.)

They are so good at fighting they should have stayed home and defended their country!

And that Facebook clip went nowhere! And you are using favebook as a source?

Al Jazeera news, actually. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you; it's a public page. I'm not saying that brief video is representative of anything, but I sometimes feel like you're talking about something that's very abstract to you (certainly, the "they should have stayed to fight" refrain shows you don't have much of a clue). That being so, some footage some faces is better than nothing. And certainly in the background of those shots, there are plenty of women, which suggests that the "they're all single young men" refrain is probably a gross exaggeration.

Wokko wrote:

Yeah, no thanks. That's effectively what happened to the Palestinians in Jordan. A cursory glance at conflicts around the world will show that even the smallest border disputes can lead to decades of fighting; so I can't see any sovereign country being willing to cede part of its territory to a few million foreigners. Anyway, Trump, the guy aspiring to be President of one of the richest countries in the world, isn't even willing to take a few thousand so how's he going to strike that bargain without looking like a total hypocrite?

Hahaha it was a $$%^%%$ ironic joke! Your so precious about your news sources etc! And you must have seen some of the video of the thugs being, well thugs!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:23 am

Wokko wrote:

I was talking distance.

Oliver used height, that is, the lowest height Trump stated in his range: the calculations were based on 35'

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:26 am

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
Of all the 1 million plus refugees and economic migrants entering Europe, we've managed to identify one who might have been involved in the Paris attacks. So even if this blog story is true, stop conflating refugee problems with terrorism. They're two completely different things.

Blatantly untrue - well established that 2 of the Paris bombers wandered in via Greece with the migrants ( who the hell they actually were is anyones guess) and the Istanbul bomber was registered as a Syrian refugee.

They may be in a philosophical sense two completely different things but they are entwined because the sheer numbers arriving are not allowing for adequate screening - fact!

" managed to identify" is the core of the problem!

You are so determined to refute any suggestion that there is a problem and blame everything on discrimination against the refugees and Muslims etc etc etc etc - like your outrage when one silly girl who didn't complete her travel documents was refused travel at the time to Australia!

I seriously can't believe that their is extremists sneaking in, really I would have thought it was ridiculously obvious.so easy.

David did you watch the news? Our PM acknowledged the fact

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:28 am

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I was talking distance.

Oliver used height, that is, the lowest height Trump stated in his range: the calculations were based on 35'

I was just being flippant, it's what Trump says whenever a Mexican politician has criticized the wall. Anyway, doens't matter how much it costs, because who's going to pay for the wall?

MEXICO!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:40 am

David wrote:

Morrigu, I don't think most people would consider Istanbul to be in Europe.

And again you miss the point - the perpetrator entered Turkey posing as a refugee - he targeted a Western tourist venue - it wasn't a Kurdish revenge attack - it was aimed at Western folK.

I would suggest you do a bit more research - Istanbul is indeed considered European even though it transverses 2 continents.

Wonderful place to visit by the way!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 50 of 74   

Jump to: