Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, here is an answer to my first question. The death rate appears to be a little under 1%:

http://www.unhcr.org/55e06a5b6.html

Quote:
More than 300,000 refugees and migrants have used the dangerous sea route across the Mediterranean so far this year with almost 200,000 of them landing in Greece and a further 110,000 in Italy.

The UN refugee agency, revealing the latest statistics in Geneva on Friday, said this represents a large increase from last year, when around 219,000 people crossed the Mediterranean during the whole of 2014.

"At the same time, some 2,500 refugees and migrants are estimated to have died or gone missing this year, trying to reach Europe. This death toll does not include yesterday's tragedy off Libya where numbers of deaths are still unconfirmed," UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Fleming told a press briefing in Geneva.

Last year some 3,500 people died or were reported missing in the Mediterranean Sea.

There are many people in the world – perhaps many of us here – who would willingly take those odds.

Last edited by David on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:43 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I think the critical thing here is that anyone who put
Jews to sea in unseaworthy boats for profit is not too far above the Nazis. Providing a service for a profit is not in itself immoral. What is immoral is making profits from exploiting others' weakness and providing a service that runs a high risk of horrible death.

I don't understand this argument. Do you really think that the act of saving a person from an environment in which they face a (say) 90% chance of death by gassing, and putting them on a vessel in which they face a (say) 5% of death by drowning, becomes an act nearly as immoral as mass genocide once money changes hands? Surely you don't believe that. Are you saying that the people in the article I posted (at least one of whom did take money) did not act heroically? Morrigu and Think Positive, what do you think?

The cost/benefit analysis in this case is probably much more complicated. But, as I wrote above, I think you'd at least want to have some sense of what those relevant percentages and other nuances are here before coming down on the side of condemnation, particularly when those details are the only real difference between someone being a hero or a 'scumbag'.

But in that context of the 1930s, presumably you don't have to use an unseaworthy vessel. If you do, you are just making the calculation that their lives are worth less than your profits. It is not so different. In the case of the Syrian camps, of course, the analogy breaks down completely as there is no genocide. I am sure it is unpleasant and we should be diverting foreign aid to improve them as far as we can.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:50 am

^ That's a red herring because, as the article plainly states, the escape routes were inherently risky and did result in deaths. No sea vessels, just soldiers and land mines. The people smugglers in that story presumably did not have access to a luxury airliner to put refugees on, just as the people smugglers of today do not have access to a cruise ship. The fact that either of them received money for their services does not necessarily mean that they were cutting corners safety-wise as a means of maximising profit.

You would concede that there is at least some risk of death in Syrian refugee camps. These are places in which resources are limited, medical aid is not necessarily available and shelter may be insufficient. There are even cases of camps being attacked by military forces. Beyond that, the conditions are abysmal, and it might well be an entirely sensible decision to take the 1% chance of dying at sea if it means escaping that environment.

Of course it's not the Holocaust, but that's not the point. As I said, the cost/benefit analysis of taking a leaky boat across the Mediterranean is perhaps not as clear cut as it would have been for a Jewish refugee trying to escape the Nazis. But that doesn't mean that significant costs and benefits – each of which may well comprise fear of death – are not present in this case. On the balance of things, the people smugglers may still be doing more good than harm. So, where exactly is the tipping point that turns a scumbag into a hero?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:50 am

David wrote:
By the way, here is an answer to my first question. The death rate appears to be a little under 1%:

http://www.unhcr.org/55e06a5b6.html

Quote:
More than 300,000 refugees and migrants have used the dangerous sea route across the Mediterranean so far this year with almost 200,000 of them landing in Greece and a further 110,000 in Italy.

The UN refugee agency, revealing the latest statistics in Geneva on Friday, said this represents a large increase from last year, when around 219,000 people crossed the Mediterranean during the whole of 2014.

"At the same time, some 2,500 refugees and migrants are estimated to have died or gone missing this year, trying to reach Europe. This death toll does not include yesterday's tragedy off Libya where numbers of deaths are still unconfirmed," UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Fleming told a press briefing in Geneva.

Last year some 3,500 people died or were reported missing in the Mediterranean Sea.

There are many people in the world – perhaps many of us here – who would willingly take those odds.

Only 6000 horrible deaths at sea in two years. That is not a humanitarian triumph, it's a disaster caused by the twin forces of self-indulgent immigration policies and profiteers from leaky boats.

In the camps, there is food and medical support, and while there have been deaths, these seem to have been from pre-existing medical conditions. The attempt to suggest that these are concentration camps to exonerate people smugglers does not work.

The immigration to Europe has been caused by that eternal human hope, a better life, on this occasion hope fanned by war at its back. That makes it an understandable risk for many people. It does not make people smuggling a moral act.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 am

No, it makes smuggling an expected economic consequence.

But 6000 deaths versus how many saved, and how many lost by not taking the opportunity? You're avoiding David's question with bluster, not addressing it rationally.

The broader context concerned consists of millions of refugees, tens of thousands of deaths (or how many you want to throw in), and a mountain range of un-quantifiable suffering. Who knows what hell's in people's heads, and what actual and imagined trade-offs are being made.

You're prone to exaggerated thoughts of apocalyptic clashes from the comforts of the UK. Imagine your mindset on the ground in Syria! Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:24 am

Mugwump, you're still evading the question of whether, given the dire conditions in the camps – and yes, there are deaths, and there are illnesses, and there is no other way out – the act of taking a boat is not just an understandable risk, but an entirely justifiable one. That is the crucial point here, and I feel that you're not really addressing it. For, if it is a justifiable risk under the circumstances – if, on balance, it is actually a good bet to take; if, on balance, it causes more good than harm for the people involved – then how can we demonise the facilitators of that transport?

I agree that 6000 people dead at sea is a humanitarian disaster. I also think that 12 million displaced, a substantial proportion of whom are waiting indefinitely in squalid conditions in refugee camps, is a humanitarian disaster. There are no easy answers here. While international governments like our own can step up efforts to resettle these people and to resolve the conflict as quickly as possible, the fact is that demand is far outweighing supply at the moment, and individuals will continue to seek alternative means of escape. I'm not sure that you or anybody else has adequately demonstrated that the 700,000 (of whom 6000 have perished) or so who have taken boats would have been better off if they'd stayed where they were. And if you can't even establish that people smugglers are causing a net negative outcome, you have no place condemning them.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:31 am

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I think the critical thing here is that anyone who put
Jews to sea in unseaworthy boats for profit is not too far above the Nazis. Providing a service for a profit is not in itself immoral. What is immoral is making profits from exploiting others' weakness and providing a service that runs a high risk of horrible death.

I don't understand this argument. Do you really think that the act of saving a person from an environment in which they face a (say) 90% chance of death by gassing, and putting them on a vessel in which they face a (say) 5% of death by drowning, becomes an act nearly as immoral as mass genocide once money changes hands? Surely you don't believe that. Are you saying that the people in the article I posted (at least one of whom did take money) did not act heroically? Morrigu and Think Positive, what do you think?

The cost/benefit analysis in this case is probably much more complicated. But, as I wrote above, I think you'd at least want to have some sense of what those relevant percentages and other nuances are here before coming down on the side of condemnation, particularly when those details are the only real difference between someone being a hero or a 'scumbag'.

Nothing is as immoral as the mass genicide of a people. The money changing hands, everything has to be paid for, palms greased, fuel, food, it's when advantage is taken (those wanting greasy palms for a start), that it gets ugly. I get your point, and yes, the odds are far better in the leaky boat. But it's like the new TAC. Add, how many dead in the road toll is acceptable, The guys says 73, and 73 of his family and friends step forward, and he's so shocked and horrified.

Would it be so bad if the people smugglers had decent seaworthy boats, life jackets, and they didn't overload them? The case in point with this guy though, is the lies he told. As if someone else put his children and wife at risk, and yet he did it himself, he is the people smuggler. The loss of that little boy on the beach will be tragic no matter what, but is his death more tragic because his father is an instigator? Is Daniel Velario's death, a name I still remember with out thinking about it 20 years after the fact, any more tragic because he died at the hands of his mothers boyfriend, and then they all tried to cover it up, than any other little boy who is tragically killed? Than the little boy still missing, who is still all over Facebook with the don't forget me posts?

It's just such an emotional thing, and people don't like being lied to, don't want to grieve for the wrong reason, don't want to waste tears on a guy who has put other little boys lives at as much risk as he did his own son.

Put myself in his shoes. I'd like to think that even though I know I would do anything to get my family safe, that I would not take advantage of others by profiting from it.

I just can't believe in this day and age that these horrors are still happening, that children are still dying of famine in Africa, that whole peoples are getting displaced by mans relentless greed. That massive amounts of people get sucked in by a religion that says treat 1/2 the population like second class citizens. I just don't get it.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:38 pm

You have never even stepped foot in a refugee or displaced persons camp have you David

You have no idea how some of these "scumbags" operate - they skulk around and prey on desperate scared people and connive and sell them stories that are mostly lies ( increasing numbers of asylum seekers are abandoning their claims and returning home and this is one of the prime reasons) and fleece them often leaving them with debts that have to be repayed by their families - one way or another!

If you think for one moment their motive is altruistic you are delusional - they are on the whole nasty little lying thugs and criminals - " scumbags"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm

I think it would be naive to consider most people smugglers altruistic, but no less so to consider them inherently cruel or callous. I have no doubt that there are people who act exactly as you describe. I also have no doubt that you are painting them all with the same very jaundiced brush.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 pm

While we're on the subject of people smugglers

Quote:
PEOPLE smugglers in Indonesia have seized on calls by Premier Daniel Andrews — along with other states — not to deport 267 asylum seekers to Nauru to try and reopen their businesses, the Federal Government has been told.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has told the Sunday Herald Sun he has had “direct intelligence” Indonesian criminals have begun telling potential asylum seekers the Government is set to weaken its tough policies on asylum, which has ended the flow of boats to Australia.

Last Saturday, Premier Daniel Andrews wrote to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull offering to resettle the asylum seekers who face being sent back to Nauru following a High Court decision earlier this month.

“I want these children and their families to call Victoria home,” he told Mr Turnbull.

The Premier later posted a picture of himself at Royal Melbourne Zoo with two asylum seeker children on Instagram.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands Mr Turnbull has since written to Mr Andrews reiterating his concerns about the use of social media and the counter effect it has.

Senior government sources told the Sunday Herald Sun people smugglers were alert to the use of social media by Australian politicians, which was why it was “dangerous to freelance” on the medium.

Mr Dutton said the campaign in Australia against the deportations was already having an impact in the region.

“I have had direct intelligence overnight (Wednesday) — since Premier Andrew’s comments — that organised crime gangs in Indonesia are telling people that the Government’s policy on stopping the boats is going to change, in order to convince people to travel by boat to Australia,” he said.

“The intelligence makes direct reference to the various Premiers’ comments.”

Premier Daniel Andrews reiterated his support for allowing asylum seekers to stay.

james.campbell@news.com.au

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/people-smugglers-seize-on-daniel-andrews-call-to-not-deport-asylum-seekers/news-story/6ec9901359211844a225bc16805b7e69

I don't consider it a jaundiced brush, I consider it accurate. They're profiteering slime balls a bare half step up from the slave traders.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 pm

That's such an easy and casual assertion to make. Do you think the people smugglers who got Jews out of Nazi territory were 'slimeballs', or were they some completely different breed of human (who just happened to use similar methods and took similar payments for similarly risky trips for people in a similarly dire situation)?

The world isn't constructed out of such cartoonish binaries. I also suspect that you're getting your dislike of 'irregular' arrivals colour your views of the people who facilitate that process.

It's not unlike drug dealers. Many people (when it's convenient) portray drug addicts as innocent victims and dealers as the scum of the earth. But this ignores the fact that many dealers are addicts themselves and come from similarly desperate circumstances. As with the worst people smugglers, there are of course some who lie, manipulate and callously destroy lives while racking up huge profits. But to presume that all drug dealers are evil masterminds is obviously a fiction. To categorise people smugglers in this way is no less so.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:23 pm

The people who got the Jews out of Nazi Germany were helping people escape from death.

These people have already escaped from their home land, are safe in another country and these slimeballs are taking money to encourage them to circumvent the immigration process and putting their lives at risk during the process.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two and I'm not going near the ludicrous comparison with drug dealers..

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:06 pm

David wrote:
That's such an easy and casual assertion to make. Do you think the people smugglers who got Jews out of Nazi territory were 'slimeballs', or were they some completely different breed of human (who just happened to use similar methods and took similar payments for similarly risky trips for people in a similarly dire situation)?

The world isn't constructed out of such cartoonish binaries. I also suspect that you're getting your dislike of 'irregular' arrivals colour your views of the people who facilitate that process.

It's not unlike drug dealers. Many people (when it's convenient) portray drug addicts as innocent victims and dealers as the scum of the earth. But this ignores the fact that many dealers are addicts themselves and come from similarly desperate circumstances. As with the worst people smugglers, there are of course some who lie, manipulate and callously destroy lives while racking up huge profits. But to presume that all drug dealers are evil masterminds is obviously a fiction. To categorise people smugglers in this way is no less so.

That's an insult to the lady who smuggled babies out in her basket, (she was caught and tortured) the guy who smuggled people out in his cart, the brave souls who hid Jews in their attics, gees you must have at least heard of Schlinders list, even if only on Seinfeld!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:51 pm

^ Exactly my point. You've got this totally binary view of two kinds of people who were essentially plying the same trade, even though many of the people who saved Jewish lives undoubtedly did it for money and some people smugglers in Turkey and elsewhere do it because they think it's the morally right thing to do. Why not just admit that you don't know anything about these people, their motivations or how 'good' they are?

Stui, if you think Kurdish (and other) refugees are 'safe' in Turkey, you have no idea what you're talking about. There are currently 1.9 million asylum seekers in Turkey (1.7 million of whom have fled neighbouring Syria). That's 1 refugee for every 40 Turkish citizens (the equivalent for us would be 600,000, fifty times the number we've pledged to take on) in a country with only moderate resources and social support compared to us. Kurds like the man we're discussing are targets of racial hatred, mob violence and discrimination. How exactly do you picture those 1.9 million people living? Do you think they have access to all the food, shelter and medical resources they need?

I suspect that a great number of asylum seekers in Turkey are aware of the risks and willing to take them. Kurdi, after all, was one of them himself – whether or not he was one of the guys who'd organised the trip, he was on the boat himself when it sank. Clearly, if he thought it was a good bet for himself and his family to take, he thought it was a good bet for everyone else on board. It'd be nice if people at least considered these nuances before pointing fingers and name-calling.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Perhaps this man, if he loved his children, has paid his price.

Mugwump, sorry I didn't ask this before, but are you channelling Sting now? Laughing

"Believe me when I say to you/
I hope the Kurdish asylum seekers love their children too"

In all seriousness, it seems just as preposterous here. I'm sure it wasn't more than a Freudian slip on your part, but I think it's indicative of a much more concerning phenomenon. We have a serious problem with imaginative empathy in our culture (and this thread doesn't half show it).

Think about it: would you really ever be inclined to phrase a statement like this if discussing an ordinary Australian who had lost a child in tragic circumstances, with their public grief broadcast around the world? "Well, perhaps, if she loved her child..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 43 of 74   

Jump to: