Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
So, as a libertarian, you'd never join a resistance movement against a brutal dictatorship?

I don't think any rebellion would've gained enough steam to reach the level of civil war without the backing of Western interests. Whether someone would engage in armed resistance in their own country doesn't equate to them supporting involvement in the internal affairs of nations.

I'd consider myself a Nationalist Libertarian (I'm against the open border shit that some Libertarians espouse), so under a brutal dictatorship I would expect any resistance or revolution to be home grown and not under the influence of external forces for their own benefit, whether that's western backers or Al Qaeda and friends (both in the case of Syrian rebels) isn't important in that equation.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:47 pm

An article on the Cologne assaults. It doesn't specify that Syrian refugees were involved, but it's obviously very relevant to this discussion nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/opinion/germanys-post-cologne-hysteria.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:51 pm

I don't think I have read it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:28 am

David wrote:
An article on the Cologne assaults. It doesn't specify that Syrian refugees were involved, but it's obviously very relevant to this discussion nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/opinion/germanys-post-cologne-hysteria.html

A good article, fair and balanced. The question for me is not whether Germany is doing a good job on integrating them. It's doing the best it can. The question is whether that can ever be enough, at the rates involved.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Sweden? This is the country that charged Julian Assange with rape for (allegedly) not using a condom. Razz

More seriously, high reportage doesn't necessarily correspond to high incidence. Paradoxically, it can be a sign of a country getting more progressive and actually prosecuting rapes.

Really? Apart from a blind hope how do you make that conclusion?

Quote:
And these numbers are only the tip of the ice berg. According to the authorities, Sweden’s real rape statistics are 400-900% higher than official numbers. The BRÅ website states:

“As few as 10-20 percent of all sexual offences are reported to the police. The Swedish Crime Survey (Nationella trygghetsundersökningen, NTU) provides a better picture of the extent of criminality, with data on both victims as well as perpetrators — which is lacking in the criminal statistics. Of those who are suspected for sexual offences, the majority are men and only about two percent are women. A majority of the victims are women. In a third of reported rapes, the victim is younger than 15.”

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=de1_1394099792

A great piece debunking the "Sweden is the rape capital of the western world" myth:

http://debunkingdenialism.com/2015/12/12/how-anti-immigration-activists-misuse-rape-statistics/#more-87759

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:20 am

Ahhhh, so the great David finds a link and that must be the case, everyone else is just dreaming Rolling Eyes

I really like this decisive part of the spin...

—> Increased tendency to report sex crimes: a doubling of the proportion of sex crimes reported to the police occurred between 2005 (10%) to 2011 (20%) according to BRÅ, but this figure fluctuates a bit from year to year. This statistic may be influenced by increase in societal equality, more attention given to sex crimes, and increased trust in the criminal justice system by victims.

So they acknowledge that incidents have doubled, then give a spiel on how they think this might be the case??

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am

About the only thing of value in that blog post was this:

Quote:
The moral of the story is that you should not get your information about crime statistics from shady blogs who make trivial statistical errors
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:22 pm

^Which part of the post or data below (or use or interpretion or translation thereof) do you take such strong exception to?

https://www.bra.se/bra/brott-och-statistik/statistik/utsatthet-for-brott/ntu.html

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 pm

looks like the Norwegians actually think there may be an issue with certain types of behavior from some immigrant groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/world/europe/norway-offers-migrants-a-lesson-in-how-to-treat-women.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

Looks like growth industry with a large majority of asylum seekers being male and struggling to cope with the transition from burkas to bikinis.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:58 pm

^

Good article and good program.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Pi wrote:
looks like the Norwegians actually think there may be an issue with certain types of behavior from some immigrant groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/world/europe/norway-offers-migrants-a-lesson-in-how-to-treat-women.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

Looks like growth industry with a large majority of asylum seekers being male and struggling to cope with the transition from burkas to bikinis.

Looks like responsible welfare work which forms part of the transition to a new culture and has done in certain countries for each new wave of immigrants and/or refugee waves going back decades. Unfortunately, some countries have been far more competent at transitioning new arrivals than others, so it's great to see Norway taking the transition process so seriously.

There is a sober medical and welfare services record going back many decades on culture shock, refugee trauma, assistance programs and efforts, and such, covering groups from white Europeans to Latin Americans, Southeast Asians and more recent refugee waves. Combine that kind of work and responsible attention with natural generational shift, and they will get the kind of success countries like Canada are renowned for (and Australia is probably underrated for).

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:54 am

I am concerned that some countries choose to withhold statistics about background of perpetrators. It's perfectly understandable why they choose to do it, but it really just adds fuel to the fire and ironically ends up playing into the hands of the far right. Whatever the facts, we need to know what they are so we can adequately deal with the problem.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 am

This is where political correctness gets us:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/11/swedish-police-accused-cover-up-sex-attacks-refugees-festival

The truth may hurt, but lying hurts much more in the long run.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 am

Unless your going to tell us what nationality the offenders were, what is the point of the article? It says newly arrived immigrants who came without their families, but not middle eastern men who have, cough, great respect for women?

By the way political correctness? More like political hiding

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 am

The point is that we don't know. It's highly unlikely to be just Middle Eastern men, though. But without the statistical breakdowns it's impossible to do anything other than speculate, and that's a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 23 of 74   

Jump to: