Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
The Greens are going a bit soft there - let's make it 50,000 I say.
Only on the proviso we put them up in purpose-built accommodation in the areas of - Clifton Hill, Brunswick, St Kilda, Brighton, Hampton, Beaumauris, Sandringham, Middle Park, Balaclava........

Wouldn't Alice Springs be more like home?

Yes. Laughing

My comment though, is aimed at those social activist #hashtag types that know better than everyone else but have no concept of where, when, how......

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Apparently Abbott has agreed to an increase in Syrian refugees but only at the expense of refugees from other areas. What generosity.

http://m.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-ready-to-take-more-refugees-from-syria-tony-abbott-says-20150906-gjg6ud.html

Would it kill us to acknowledge that there's a major international crisis happening and that a little extra hard work is required? FFS, you'd think we were all living on the poverty line. Rolling Eyes

Worth pointing out that this refugee crisis has been happening for four years now, so the sudden rush to action is strange. Still, better late than never, I guess.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:30 pm

There are always major international crises David, and the Syrian people's tragedy is, sadly, not the only one. Our emotional response to one dreadful photograph does not make Syria a special case. What about the Ebola countries ? The Rohingya ? Afghans Much of sub-Saharan Africa ?

We should take a certain number of refugees every year, regardless of whether they are Syrian or not, and strongly resist creating mono-ethnic or mono-religious communities. Assuming effective dispersion policies, 10,000 seems a reasonable number. If there was a way to make sure they woudl return when the war was over, I'd accept a larger number, but I don;t think that'll happen. At the core of this refugee problem is the breakdown/exploitation of the distinctions between (a) temporary refugee ; (b) asylum ; and (c) permanent settlement/migration.

I think we'd be better with a coherent strategy for housing refugees in places close to their homeland. If the UN was any bloody use at all, rather than a talking shop for corrupt and vicious regimes like Russia (and Syria)to pursue their interests, then it'd be carving out a UN protectorate within Syria backed with effective military security, and putting pressure on the Arab countries to manage it. As the latest EU crisis was unfolding, Ban Ki Moon was at the Chinese military parade.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:36 pm

As many as possible, but rather than setting up a mini Syria and bringing Syrian values and morals to our country, we actually have a program to assimilate these refugees into our communities so that they can genuinely contribute and feel like a citizen of a country and not a refugee.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 pm

David wrote:
Half the voters have opted for 'none'. Anyone want to explain their reasoning?

Anyone?

Come on, silent majority - it's your turn to speak.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Abbott's reason is simple, it's not a vote winner.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:04 pm

David wrote:
David wrote:
Half the voters have opted for 'none'. Anyone want to explain their reasoning?

Anyone?

Come on, silent majority - it's your turn to speak.

They have. They voted.

I went for a few hundred which percentage wise works

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:21 pm

I was hoping that they might explain their reasoning. Turning our backs on the crisis completely is a big call, and I want to know why people would support that option. At the end of the day, these people vote in the real world too.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Which of the 17,268 existing posts on this subject scattered around in 384 other threads didn't you understand?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Show me just one.

Oh, we've had threads about refugees, of course. But those have all been about boat arrivals, people smugglers, detention, jumping the queue etc. The people who speak in favour of policies like our government's generally say that they support us taking in refugees so long as we get to decide who comes here and the manner in which they come, etc.

Well, here we are: this is a situation where we have an opportunity to do just that, where there are a lot of people in urgent need of assistance and where it's completely up to us how we respond to it. To that, 6 out of 12 respondents say we don't want to take any at all. I think it's fair enough to ask why.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:15 pm

David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
I was watching Sky News and the Greens leader Richard Di Natale seem to suggest that ISIS is a 'bit player' in the Syrian Civil War and that the main reasons that people were fleeing the war-torn country was because of the Assad regime.

What are your thoughts on this David especially as someone who generally agrees with many Greens policies and positions?

That seems more like a factual question to me than a party political one.

I don't know for sure what the answer is, but it's beyond dispute that the Assad regime have caused a substantial part of the humanitarian crisis. They also had a couple of years head start before ISIS really started capturing territory; many Syrian refugees have been in camps since 2011, after all, long before ISIS were a major factor.

Even now, as the map in the article below shows, the government still controls a fair section of the country. Needless to say, the refugees trying to get out of the southern and western regions of the country aren't fleeing ISIS.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22798391

No doubt that Assad has played a significant role for the reasons why the Syrian Civil War has transpired the way it has and why it actually started in the first place but the map in the link you've provided looks out of date in my opinion. It doesn't seem to take into account that ISIS controls about 50% of Syria and has taken over Palmyra (Tadmur) and towns surrounding it since about May this year.

Assad's forces are losing serious grip of Syria with ISIS now focusing their energies towards the central part of Syria after setbacks against Kurdish forces in far North Syria and a few small setbacks in Iraq as well such as losing Tikrit in early April, and the so-called moderate rebels are holding steady but ISIS are the group that has come out of nowhere in the past 12 to 18 months to the detriment of both Assad and the rebels.

A map below demonstrates this (last updated on August 14) and I'll also provide a link from the Guardian saying that ISIS actually has control of territory of 50% of Syria now according to the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights which contradicts Di Natale's assertion that ISIS is a 'bit player' in this conflict. I think the refugee crisis in Europe is a contribution of a number of things with Assad, ISIS and other factors being a part of these issues. None of the groups fighting against one another are angels by any stretch of the imagination as there's been some evidence to suggest that Assad's forces and some groups within the overall Syrian Opposition are just as brutal as ISIS so I can understand people fleeing the war-torn country.

I believe other Middle Eastern countries have to bear the burden of the refugee crisis. Too much of the burden is being placed on Europe to deal with this crisis. Where are Kuwait, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Iran in all of this or are they only satisfied in supplying weapons to militia groups in Syria and Iraq but not actually dealing with the refugee crisis as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War#/media/File:Syrian_civil_war.png

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/isis-palmyra-syria-islamic-state

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:34 pm

^ The burden is being placed on Europe because Europe's failed politics are making it so, Jezza. Europe has abolished its border controls, tolerated illegal migration (look at the ongoing crisis in Calais for the last 10 years), and then last week Germany acted completely unilaterally and put out a sign to all would-be migrants and refugees that they will take anyone who arrives, placing intolerable pressure on Hungary, Greece and Turkey. It shoudl not be forgotten that the tragedy of that small boy and his brother emanated form a decision to leave Turkey, not Syria, while trying to get to Western Europe. I understand that family's decision ; but it does not mean that they shoudl have been encouraged to make it.

The Arab countries should do more, I agree : but they are mostly states with no humanitarian credentials or interests at all, so it is not surprising. Europe has authored this crisis for itself, as with so much else.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:42 pm

David wrote:
Show me just one.

Oh, we've had threads about refugees, of course. But those have all been about boat arrivals, people smugglers, detention, jumping the queue etc. The people who speak in favour of policies like our government's generally say that they support us taking in refugees so long as we get to decide who comes here and the manner in which they come, etc.

Well, here we are: this is a situation where we have an opportunity to do just that, where there are a lot of people in urgent need of assistance and where it's completely up to us how we respond to it.

What is different about this refugee situation as compared to the situation on 9 May 2012 or 6 August 2009 or 2 January 1996 or any other date you care to mention inside living memory?

Ans: nothing whatsoever. This topic has been done a zillion times. You must have a very low threshold of boredom.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:45 pm

The top five countries accommodating Syrian refugees are, in fact, from the Arab world - Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Egypt, to be specific. Having said that, I agree with you that the gulf states are not pulling their weight right now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-rich-arab-gulf-states-wont-welcome-syrian-refugees-2015-9?IR=T

As for Iran, well, as active sponsors of the Assad regime, it's little wonder that it wouldn't be high on the list as a refuge for Assad's victims.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Why, given that there are all these refugees, millions of them, are they not able to stand up to the oppressors? Do they lack arms? Do they lack training? Or do they lack the will to fight for their own lives and country?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 2 of 74   

Jump to: