Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many Syrian refugees should Australia take?
None
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
A few hundred
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
A few thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Over ten thousand
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
As many as possible
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Does that work with Syrians? Shocked

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am

I note that the meeting of EU interior ministers in Innsbruck today has agreed to establish “disembarkation platforms” in North Africa where migrants intercepted in the Med will be taken, and where asylum claims will not be processed. It appears to be a replica of the Australian model. Once these are established, it will be interesting to see if the same emotional blackmail comes to be deployed as we have seen in the Australian agitation.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

^ If it involves the same indefinite detention, cruel conditions and refoulement, then I very much hope that the same "emotional blackmail" does occur, and that it proves effective.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 am

^ when you say “indef8nite detention”, i might have missed something, here (quite seriously)... those detained offshore are free to go anywhere except Australia, aren’t they ?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am

^

IIRC, not quite.

They're free to go home or to pretty much any country that will take them except New Zealand.

The argument about NZ as I understand it is that they have a very lax (compared to ours) citizenship requirement and movement between Aus and NZ is pretty free and easy, if boat people were re-settled in NZ it would quickly be viewed as a way stop on the route to Aus and the boats would re-start.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

IIRC, not quite.

They're free to go home or to pretty much any country that will take them except New Zealand.

The argument about NZ as I understand it is that they have a very lax (compared to ours) citizenship requirement and movement between Aus and NZ is pretty free and easy, if boat people were re-settled in NZ it would quickly be viewed as a way stop on the route to Aus and the boats would re-start.

I wonder how many have actually left ? Given that I do not doubt that
Manus is a pretty dismal place to be stuck, those that remain there for a long time under the present regime must either be pretty afraid to go back, very hopeful that the policy will change, or perhaps unable to raise the funds to go back.

I have reservations about the policy but I do not see a better one. Still, I very much dislike the air of secrecy and lack of transparency that the government pursues with regard to the conditions there. Meanwhile, I wonder how many “refugees” just come in by air now that the boat route is closed.

David will object to the quote marks above, I suppose, but I do not see how/why a true refugee travels half way across the world without papers if their objective is just to escape a given regime.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am

The latest from Sweden....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=642&v=dU8SoW_dTRo

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 am

Skids wrote:
The latest from Sweden....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=642&v=dU8SoW_dTRo

Well, at least the latest from RT, a network owned and sponsored by the Russian government, which has far, far less regard for truth than you do, Skids. The thrust of this report is true, but the source is not to be trusted as to the details or extent.

There are lots of reputable sources showing that Sweden and its society is being seriously harmed and endangered by the mass immigration it has naively permitted. RT is not one of them.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:21 am

The journo is a sexy piece. Cool
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 am

Is this for real?!?!

Taxpayers fork out $300,000 to fly an asylum seeker from Nauru to Taiwan by PRIVATE JET to remove kidney stones - and he spent a week going to the zoo and dining at top restaurants

Refugee Nisar Haji was flown to Taiwan to have his kidney stones removed
Indian man travelled on luxurious return flights costing taxpayers $300,000
In week before departure from Taiwan, he was pictured living holiday lifestyle
His situation is not a one-off, with other refugees taken overseas for treatment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6786507/Asylum-seeker-sent-private-jet-Taiwan-cure-kidney-stones-visit-costing-300-000.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 am

Skids wrote:
Is this for real?!?!

Taxpayers fork out $300,000 to fly an asylum seeker from Nauru to Taiwan by PRIVATE JET to remove kidney stones - and he spent a week going to the zoo and dining at top restaurants

Refugee Nisar Haji was flown to Taiwan to have his kidney stones removed
Indian man travelled on luxurious return flights costing taxpayers $300,000
In week before departure from Taiwan, he was pictured living holiday lifestyle
His situation is not a one-off, with other refugees taken overseas for treatment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6786507/Asylum-seeker-sent-private-jet-Taiwan-cure-kidney-stones-visit-costing-300-000.html

If true then the Morrison Liberal National goverment not the refugees needs their arses kicked.

Is this person a Syrian refugee? Confused

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Truly the Today Tonight of newspapers.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah that seems far fetched

And just where is Mugwump?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 pm

A reminder for anyone who says that refugees should just settle in a "country of transit" (usually a poorer country that is relatively closer to the place they are fleeing from).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49404739

Quote:
Thousands of Syrian migrants have until Tuesday to leave Istanbul or face expulsion from Turkey's biggest city.

Authorities have told unregistered migrants to return to the province they are registered in, as part of a bid to relieve pressure on the city.

But some Syrians told the BBC many were being deported to Idlib, inside Syria, where fighting is escalating.

They say many are being forced to sign voluntary return documents that they cannot read or understand.

The order to relocate was issued in late July, giving those affected about a month to comply.

Turkey has a huge number of Syrian refugees, way more than any other country – 3.5 million at last count. There are few resources for them, and growing hostility being directed towards them from locals. I hope we can all agree that they're not there for government benefits and free Xboxes. So this news casts some light on those claims that refugees should just settle in a neighbouring country and that any further-flung asylum claims are illegitimate.

https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/syria#

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

OK, a number of different things going on there.

Firstly, yeah, I don't think the Syrians fled to Turkey for PS4's and centrelink, they did so because it's close and culturally similar.

Second, they're notionally being told to leave Istanbul and return to the Turkish province they're registered in as a number have moved into Istanbul creating issues. Don't see a problem with that.

Apparently, "some" as being relocated "voluntarily" back to areas of Syria which are now under Turkish control, and not in a war zone. Surely that's an ideal outcome in some ways, you flee a warzone but once the threat is gone you return home?

Also apparently, "some" of the "some" being relocated have been sent back to a warzone which is not only poor darts but basically illegal and I hope there is more than just anecdotal evidence to back that up.

David wrote:
So this news casts some light on those claims that refugees should just settle in a neighbouring country and that any further-flung asylum claims are illegitimate.

Not sure how you drew that conclusion. However, if someone had fled to Turkey, tried to get asylum there, but was told that despite having legitimate claims, the full house sign was up so we're sending you home, I'd have no problems with them applying for asylum elsewhere.

Finally, unrelated but just cos it relates to other discussions,

Quote:
"When I crossed the border and saw the Turkish flag behind me, I realised I hated it because this is a racist country," said one Syrian, who had been deported but had smuggled himself back to Istanbul.

I didn't realise Turks were white. You have to be white to be racist, don't you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 72 of 74   

Jump to: