Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sub rule gone, rotations capped at 90

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And the embarrassing red jacket. A bit like sending a kid to the corner.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:41 pm

King Monkey wrote:
If this is accurate - it's half-arsed at best.
90 will not do a great deal to change the status-quo.

To make an actual difference, 40 needed to be the maximum number.
And the answer to any whinging from the Coaches and/or the Players' Association: adapt your game style to fit.

I tend to agree but I'd be happy to see the 90 worked down to 40 (for example) over a couple of years. Hopefully the change results in more positional play and less groups of players swarming round the ground chasing the ball like an under 10's match.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 pm

What are the top ten sub performances of all time?
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:42 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
If this is accurate - it's half-arsed at best.
90 will not do a great deal to change the status-quo.

To make an actual difference, 40 needed to be the maximum number.
And the answer to any whinging from the Coaches and/or the Players' Association: adapt your game style to fit.

I tend to agree but I'd be happy to see the 90 worked down to 40 (for example) over a couple of years. Hopefully the change results in more positional play and less groups of players swarming round the ground chasing the ball like an under 10's match.

90 is still about 105 anyway, when you factor in the quarter breaks, the blood rule and the concussion test rule.
This will not change a thing.

And I disagree about working it down over time, that'll just let the coaches gradually develop game plans to maintain congestion over time.

Just hit 'em with it now.
All in, or nothing.
I'm disappointed the AFL has squibbed this contest.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:58 pm

No matter how high you set the bar coaches and players will always try to meet it. Whether that's by having more freakish endurance athletes, better training and preparation methods, something a little outside the rules or whatever.

I don't think the problem of congestion will be solved in this way. The only way to do it is to remove the bar and bring in zones. I reckon it will happen one day but a few more failed attempts will be tried first.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:43 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
I feel that 90 is a bit of a cop out by the AFL, obviously kow-towing to the AFLCA and AFLPA. 80 would have been a more effective way to see the impact of the rule, personally feel it should come down to 60. Though I'm incrediy happy about the stupid sub rule, what a crock

Agree, but fence sitting by the AFL and not hard to envisage further reductions in future seasons.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:48 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Congratulations, Steele Sidebottom - your elite endurance has just made you the most valuable footballer in the AFL.

Wait until they reduce the cap to 60 - they'll make a special rule requiring Steele to play with his legs tied together.

There's a bloke down at Kardinia Park who might challenge Sidey for that mantle.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:12 am

Dangles wrote:
What are the top ten sub performances of all time?

I can think of one - Didak coming on in the 2011 PF

Glad to see the sub go, always thought it was a bad idea.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:41 am

Great news. Wish they'd listened to the fans and players five years ago and never implemented the stupid thing in the first place, but better late than never.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:33 am

Bucks had the right idea when he said 'Let's have a moratorium on rule changes for ten years and let the game sort it out".

If the media and fans knew there was no point in whining about the rules and rule changes they might shut up about it and we wouldn't have to listen to so much negativity. If you listen to SEN the vast majority of what they talk about is a negative beat up. I bet if you looked at all of KB's takes about footy this season nearly all of them would be critical about some aspect of the game. The same goes for the Herald Sun. A few weeks ago I heard Nick Maxwell say that he hadn't picked up a paper in weeks because he's sick of the negativity. One example that springs to mind is how the footy media obsesses over clubs who are performing badly. I'd prefer it if they focused on successful teams and what they're doing right.

Last edited by Dangles on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:48 am

David wrote:
Great news. Wish they'd listened to the fans and players five years ago and never implemented the stupid thing in the first place, but better late than never.

This is what gives me the shits. Mad

The AFL thought they knew more than the vast majority of fans and as usual in their utter bloody stubbornness, they were totally wrong. However, we can wait till eternity for them to actually ADMIT making a mistake that could have been avoided by merely listening...... Rolling Eyes

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Congratulations, Steele Sidebottom - your elite endurance has just made you the most valuable footballer in the AFL.

Wait until they reduce the cap to 60 - they'll make a special rule requiring Steele to play with his legs tied together.

There's a bloke down at Kardinia Park who might challenge Sidey for that mantle.

Nah - Stevie J's been playing all season with his legs tied together and he hasn't made much of an impression.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
That's an improvement, but I still think the AFL will re-visit this again in a year or two and reduce the allowable subs to around 60 if they really want to have an impact.

My solution would be to limit the use of substitutions to only after a goal has been scored, as well as after each quarter. This is when there is a natural halt in the play. Even then though, I'd limit it to no more than 2 players to be substituted at a time. This would end the constant running on and off of players during play.

Not too sure about this RB. Many low scoring games in terrible weather have almost goalless quarters. You'll have players falling down exhausted out on the ground mate. This is not at all feasible in my humble view.

And I don’t think anyone really worries about these interchanges happening during the quarter because they are done so very quickly.

People forget that for over 100 years we played the game without any rotations. We just had 2 interchange and once they were off, they could not come back on. The game seemed to be pretty good to me back then. Still wtfwik? Wink

Easy answer for that RB. Different game these days mate. Just watch any game from even the 80's and you plainly see that the speed/pace of the game now is incredible in comparison. The enormous efforts and fitness levels now required would make the then "stars" from the VFL just about bloody useless. I was speaking to Rene Kink on Tuesday night at a Collingwood function in Bendigo and he said he would have struggled to get a game these days due to the pace of the game and the fitness levels required. Peter McCormack who was also present thought he could play at full back but not at full forward. It was interesting to hear from them how much the pace of the game has changed over the past 20 - 30 years.

Yes, but that's the very reason the game is in such strife. The speed of players running forward and back, crowding around ball-ups, flooding defences etc, has destroyed positional play completely. That's why there's no great full forwards any more. It's the constant rotations which enables players to run flat out all the time. The AFL's obsession with making the game faster over the past 20 yrs has just about f*cked the game imo. Reduce the rotations so players have to pace themselves, so they play more of a positional game instead of having everyone running after the ball like a flock of bees, leading to massive congestion and ball up after ball up. You reap what you sow.

Spot on Rudeboy.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:07 am

I'm curious as to which CFC players will be hardest hit by the rotation reduction? The obvious player is Swan but with his future looking set in the forward line it might not be the problem it would have been a few years back.

I guess I'm asking who are our midfielders in the list that don't have a tank?

Last edited by dalyc on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:21 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Nah - Stevie J's been playing all season with his legs tied together and he hasn't made much of an impression.

Embarassed Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: