Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Holidays & Travel

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 pm
Post subject: Holidays & TravelReply with quote

Okay. I've never been to the desert and for some reason I've always wanted to go to one. Maybe it was because of that song by America? Anywho, can anyone suggest a good place to stay in Australia that's located in or near a desert?

*I thought I'd call this the Holidays & Travel thread so in future people could use it to ask questions or pass on information relating to holidays and travel.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RB (Rude Boy) has great experience of travelling in the Aussie desert mate. Hopefully he sees this thread and replies to you.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Come over to WA. I'm at work in the desert rite now. 160ks north of Meekatharra.
It's pretty awesome this time of year (beat the heat that starts in about 4 weeks). Amazing sunrises/sunsets. I run on tracks after work, 10 or so k's from the camp, do some breathing excercises and meditation as the sun goes down. Let out a loud scream and everything goes silent, not a sound. It's magic👍

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Skids wrote:
Come over to WA. I'm at work in the desert rite now. 160ks north of Meekatharra.
It's pretty awesome this time of year (beat the heat that starts in about 4 weeks). Amazing sunrises/sunsets. I run on tracks after work, 10 or so k's from the camp, do some breathing excercises and meditation as the sun goes down. Let out a loud scream and everything goes silent, not a sound. It's magic��

Sounds like a bloody great way of dealing with our frustrations with Collingwood this year!!! Twisted Evil Razz

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Skids wrote:
It's pretty awesome this time of year (beat the heat that starts in about 4 weeks). Amazing sunrises/sunsets. I run on tracks after work, 10 or so k's from the camp, do some breathing excercises and meditation as the sun goes down. Let out a loud scream and everything goes silent, not a sound. It's magic👍

Sounds great. I'd like to go in the cooler months of June and July, so I'll probably aim to go next year. Can't really make it happen in the next few weeks. The stillness and the silence is what I'm looking forward to.
partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Friends of mine are camping at Lake Ballard, near Menzies, near Kalgoorlie and loving the desert before it gets too hot.lake Ballard is a large salt lake and there are fantastic sculptures by Anthony Gormley based on the people who live in the area. It is also a great time to see the fantastic windflowers Western Australia is known for. I live in the south west and the air is full of beautiful scents and the bush is coming alive with colour.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Where in Holland?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:59 am

Talk to me, Dangles. I love deserts, have spent any amount of time in them. Possibly this is because of the years I spen in and around Alice Springs as a small child. Whatever the reason, I like Australia's deserts better than any other part of this wonderful continent.

What sort of thing are you looking for?

Any of these places appeal to you?

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=3&substate=9

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=2&substate=3

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=1&substate=1

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:23 am

Death Valley is pretty cool! Well it's warm actually, but a grous place!
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:02 am

Tannin wrote:
Talk to me, Dangles. I love deserts, have spent any amount of time in them. Possibly this is because of the years I spen in and around Alice Springs as a small child. Whatever the reason, I like Australia's deserts better than any other part of this wonderful continent.

What sort of thing are you looking for?

Any of these places appeal to you?

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=3&substate=9

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=2&substate=3

http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=1&substate=1

Nice pictures, Tannin. I'm at work at the moment, so I only had a quick look but I'll have a good look when I get home. Someone at work mentioned the Little Desert in Victoria. Is that worth checking out?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:28 am

The Little Desert is a great place, Dangles, but it's not actually a desert. It gets the same rainfall as all of the surrounding wheat growing country - places like Horsham for example. Most of western Victoria is ancient sea bottom. The Little Desert is an area where the currents and winds (as the sea dried out) happened to produce especially sandy soil. (It's well to the west and bordering on the South Australian limestone country - hence the pure white sand. Compare with the red, orange and brown sands further east and north.) So, although it gets the same rainfall, it has different vegetation structure because of the very low soil fertility. It's no good for cropping and it looks a bit like a desert, hence the name. Round about right now is the time to be there: the wildflowers are brilliant!

Sadly, no Little Desert wildflowers on this page. I really must attend to that! http://tannin.net.au/browsestate.php?state=1&substate=2

Summary: lovely place, but not an actual desert. For desert in Victoria, look further north. Depending on how remote you want to go (4DW only for much of it), the Sunset Country is great. And huge!. Wyperfeld is justly famous - you can work your way down the remains of the ancient dying Wimmera River system - and Hattah provides a wonderful contrasting mix of Murray River floodplain and semi-desert dunes side by side. Mungo (further north in NSW) is another good one.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Melton
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Melton

Good name for a desert: Melt-on Embarassed
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Actually Bacchus Marsh is the hottest place in Victoria because it is always close to Melton.......... Twisted Evil Razz Laughing
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Skids wrote:

the leyland brothers once went there, didn't they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: